Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
5lakes,

you nailed it.

I don't even like to go to my neighborhood bars because they all look alike, as you stated: Big screens, former frats,blah,blah, blah.....you nailed it.
Go to Wrigleyville North or L& L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
As a relatively new resident to Chicago and someone who lives in Lincoln Park, I can only tell you what I miss about my favorite bar back home. It was a dark cave that had a few TV's, nice waitresses who remembered your name, a good menu prepared by the chef of a defunct Italian restaurant and a bunch of hard working Mexicans in the kitchen who made the best nacho's I've ever had. But what set this place apart was it's cocktails. If you ordred a vodka/soda, you got a glass of vodka and a splash of soda. If you ordered a rum/coke you got a glass of rum and a splash of coke. If you told them it was too strong, they would bring you an extra glass of soda/coke. The clientele ranged from old-man regulars during the day time, to afternoon golfers who needed a drink at the 19th hole, to evening 20/30 somethings looking for a good place to pre-drink. It was different than any bar and offered the biggest bang-for-your-buck in terms of drink quality. I miss it...dearly.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM

104 posts, read 287,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarThoughts View Post
I am thinking about opening a bar in the lakeview/lincoln park area( think b/w diversy and belmont, southport and clark). What I would like to hear, is what would anyone who lives or visits this area look for in a new bar. Thx in advance for all who reply.
So, I have to admit that I have a good time in LP and Lakeview when I head that way, BUT I absolutely think Logan Square has one of the more unique bar scenes on the North side of the city. The area is gentrifying big time and new bars and restaurants seem to be opening on a regular basis.

We've got:
- Revolution Brewing - Great atmosphere, great beer and really great food for a brewpub.
- Longman & Eagle - The food is excellent, they've got a great whiskey selection and it's a nice place.
- The Boiler Room - Newly opened. This place has great pizza, a good selection of beers, and one of the more unique decors I've seen anywhere in the city (really, you have to check out the bathrooms) and the renovation of the place was very eco-friendly. I believe it is owned by the same people as the next one I'm listing.
- Logan Bar and Grill - one of the nicer general neighborhood bars I know of. The food is good, they have a great selection of beers and the servers/bartenders are always friendly.

...I could go on and on with my recommendations; I am thoroughly impressed with the bar and restaurant scene here in Logan Square. Not that I want LS to lose some of its uniqueness by having similar bars opened in other neighborhoods, but I think bars across the city could learn a thing or two from the bars and restaurants we have popping up here. There are many other spots across the city I love too, but I do love living here in Logan Square.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM

103 posts, read 91,638 times
Quote:
I am thinking about opening a bar in the lakeview/lincoln park area( think b/w diversy and belmont, southport and clark). What I would like to hear, is what would anyone who lives or visits this area look for in a new bar. Thx in advance for all who reply.
There are a few exceptions, but the most popular bars in this area tend to be sports bars that cater to transplants who want to relive their fraternity days. There was a time when Lakeview had a much different crowd. Such is the price of gentrification. Anyone remember Medusa's on Sheffield Ave or Wax Trax, Crash Palace on Lincoln?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Everyone stole all my smart a-- comments so I'll just ask why LP and Lakeview? The bar biz is a tough racket over there unless you get a special location, as in right across from Wrigley Field or something. With that in mind, I'd probably concur with the idea that you'd want to open a safe, middle of the road style sports bar that has good bar food, lots of food and drink specials, and lots of HD flat screen TVs for games. Theming it towards a relatively unrepresented Big 10 university would help too. Unique and cutting edge concepts don't tend to do very well in these neighborhoods. See for example the recently departed Prost -- a great bar with an interesting and unique (for the area anyway) concept.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I remember Wax Trax. I bought my first Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt there back in 1990 or so. Got me a Pixies shirt there too. I also remember when The Alley was actually cool and more closely represented the neighborhood around it. The Alley hasn't changed too much but boy the neighborhood sure has.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 PM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
I loved Wax Trax; I'd buy a lot of imports there.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think LV and LP need an Irish-themed Michigan State bar with dozens of televisions tuned to various sporting events. It could also have a small corner with a parque "dance floor" with some colored lighting effects for Saturday nights. It could be called Finley McDouche's or something to that effect.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid and Nancy View Post
Such is the price of gentrification. Anyone remember Medusa's on Sheffield Ave or Wax Trax, Crash Palace on Lincoln?
I think Mattilda's once fit in to this group as well, but MAN does that place look dated now. I always liked their "24 and over" policy.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think LV and LP need an Irish-themed Michigan State bar with dozens of televisions tuned to various sporting events. It could also have a small corner with a parque "dance floor" with some colored lighting effects for Saturday nights. It could be called Finley McDouche's or something to that effect.
It looks like this ground was already covered. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago