Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 17,214 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm a recent college graduate who lived on the top floor of every dorm/apartment I've lived in so far. I'm looking at apartments in the city (Andersonville, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, North Center) and several garden apartments keep popping up. My instinct is to pass these up, but it seems as though I may be able to get better value for these.

I was curious about your experiences with garden apartments in the city.
What are some factors I should consider before taking one?
How much can I legitimately save by moving into one?
Do I need to worry about bugs/pests, or theft more?

Anything will help! I'm just curious about your opinions and hoping to start a discussion on the pros/cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 PM

172 posts, read 483,614 times
I live in one, so i'd say i'm qualified to speak on this

Pros:
- In the summer you don't need air conditioning (when it hit 95, it was still a comfy 75 in my apartment)
- Cheaper rent
- Easier bringing groceries and any other stuff you have to haul in because you dont have to walk up any stairs at all
- You don't have to worry about waking neighbors by walking around your apartment

Cons:
- Costs more to keep warm in the winter (related to point #1 above, hot air rises above cool air)
- There are more bugs and stuff (I get a lot of knats and spiders down here and I keep the place clean)
- Not enough sunlight gets in. If you want plants, you will have to get a flouressent grow light.
- As in a ground-floor apartment in a building that has a garden apartment, you hear the neighbor above you walking around, which can be annoying if they work the night shift and you have to get up in the morning!

If you're budget conscious, the pros are good enough to justify dealing with the cons of a garden apartment.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,918 times
I personally like garden apartments. There is a better chance for burglaries, so just check out the safety of the apartment/neighborhood (and windows, etc). You may have to worry about bugs a bit more. The only other real negative is that you may get a lot of street sound, depending on what street you live on.

That being said, I would rent one without hesitation (if it was in a safe neighborhood).

Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,424,611 times
If you own cats they help keep the bugs at bay. If you do not have cats consider getting one or two if you are not allergic to them.

Remember there is a difference between a Garden apartment and a Basement apartment.

A garden Apartment is never more than a couple of feet below ground level. A basement apartment is usually four feet or more below ground level.

I have lived in both.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-03-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,839,727 times
You have less privacy in a garden apartment, and more street noise.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,624,552 times
Flooding! I've lived in two garden apartments with flooding issues, and I've known others with the same problem. Once place flooded with storm runoff, which is bad enough--but then also flooded with sewage when the sump pump malfunctioned.

Burglaries can also be an issue if you're less than fifteen feet from the ground. You'll want to make sure you have central air, because you really can't leave your windows open or use window units when you're low to the ground (if you're smart).

I'll never live in a garden apartment again.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,624,552 times
Oh, and in addition to bugs there's moisture and mold. I'd invest in a pretty robust dehumidifier.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 PM

172 posts, read 483,614 times
Flooded with sewage! Yuck!!

I'm lucky, never had those issues. Also never really needed a dehumidifier, either

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
My neighbors have had rat problems in their basement apt.

This doesn't surprise me as I see them hopping around on the condensers near their window when i take my dogs out at night!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,784 times
Im liviing in a garden apartment for the first time right now and I wont do it again. It hasnt flooded yet but there has been some close calls. I hate waking up in the morning with no sunlight. And you really cant keep the blinds or the windows open. I would pay prolly up to another 20% to not have a garden or 1st floor. But thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago