Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times

Advertisements

^^Shouldn't being the key word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^Shouldn't being the key word.
I still have the feeling his bill has to do with the actual amount of energy used between him putting the electric in his name and the last person moving out.

Yeah he waited a bit before he put it in his name-but somehow ComEd knows the previous tenant moved out and they billed him.

Of course-they may have added the last bill from his old place to the first bill in his new one...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM

226 posts, read 640,899 times
I didn't use ComEd in my last apartment. In fact, the electricity wasn't even in my name; it was in my roommate's.

I'd honestly guess it's just the result of the guesstimation garbage I keep reading about online/hearing from other tenants. Will definitely ask about both of you folks' possibilities when I call them tomorrow morning as well, though.

Thanks as always, guys.

Oh, also, I took photos of my meter today, and will try to keep doing so every month. Any suggestions on the best way to document it so they won't be able to dispute it, Avenger? I took 2 pictures and made sure to get the dials fully focused, and my apartment # is in the shots as well. I emailed them to myself and stored them in a separate folder, so the "received" date should be legit if anyone tries to question it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
I didn't use ComEd in my last apartment. In fact, the electricity wasn't even in my name; it was in my roommate's...
Are you sure they did not charge you some kind of deposit? If you have never had ComEd as your electric provider they will charge you a deposit regardless of how good your credit score is.

In fact, 7 years ago they did that to me (all of my apartments before that time the electric was in someone else's name or included in the rent.)

Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Well, 3 phone conversations with ComEd today and it seemed pretty unanimous that it's just a "guesstimation" issue, as expected.

However, I'm still pretty paranoid. While I'm no pro at reading electrical usage meters, I've been keeping track of mine since last night when I got my bill, and it appears that over the past 24 hours, the smallest dial on my meter has progressed about 3-4 notches.

Now, common sense tells me that, considering I'm not home a lot and only use my A/C (on a low setting) for a few hours per day, a handful of kWh is honestly probably pretty accurate for me.

However, ComEd tells me there's a 10x multiplier on my particular meter. This would make my daily usage 30-40 instead of 3-4, and monthly that'd be 900 kWh, and that's not even remotely possible.

Really just frustrated and annoyed at this point. They tell me it'll smooth itself out when they come do a physical reading on September 2nd, but paying the $90 bill upfront and HOPING they actually send someone to check it instead of just guessing again isn't exactly an enthralling proposition.

Regardless, guess I'll just keep photo-documenting my meter while I play the waiting game...

Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,475 times
https://www.comed.com/sites/customerservice/Pages/yourmeter_read.aspx (broken link)

Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Hahaha, yeah, I was reading it completely wrong. Thanks for the link, preachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago