Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

104 posts, read 286,776 times

Advertisements

It may or may not be too early to start researching options to get Daley out of office, but I am hoping someone might be able to let me know who some of the people running against him may be leading up to the next election.

I want to find some individuals as disconnected from Daley as possible to make sure I am looking at options that aren't going to be more of the same old Daley-era corruption and nonsense.

To be honest, I do not care what party the individuals belong to - Democrat, Republican, Green, Tea, whatever. I just want to find someone to back that I think will do a better job than Daley has and maybe make this city a better place. I am personally very much middle of the road politically and I vote based on what I think the candidate will do for the city/state/country, rather than just what party a candidate belongs to.

I love Chicago and I think there are a couple of things Daley has done right in helping this city to be the place I love, but there are many other things he has done wrong.

If anyone could provide me some options other than Daley and Rahm Emanuel who may be strong options in the next election, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by linicx; 09-08-2010 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 AM

955 posts, read 1,822,976 times
Unless someone with big money or high stature suddenly appears out of the clouds, He's pretty much a lock. Who would want that job??

What person of merit, wants to put himself, his family, his friends and associates through the intense scrutiny that will come with the office. The anti-corruption frenzy has created a poisonous climate for all future pols. Even if your squeeky clean, you're going to endure innuendo, hearsay, defamation and guilt by association. The local news organizations and your political enemies will make sure of that.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,134,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDC View Post
To be honest, I do not care what party the individuals belong to - Democrat, Republican, Green, Tea, whatever.
There's no party as to the Chicago mayoralty and no party primaries -- the mayoralty is officially non-partisan. That's a recent development and there's a reason for it.

So, at least officially, there's no reason to consider the party of anyone running for mayor in Chicago.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 AM

104 posts, read 286,776 times
That is interesting Manigault. I had no idea. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,182,202 times
To be honest replacing the mayor without changing the city council wouldn't do much at all. As much as people like to ***** about Daley, the machine was there before him and it will still be there after he leaves office. He's just tamed it to serve his purposes.

IVI-IPO has some decent resources for finding out more about candidates for State and County offices.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,495,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
To be honest replacing the mayor without changing the city council wouldn't do much at all.
Strange as it may sound, Chicago has a "weak mayor" system, where the mayor has little statutory authority -- but the mayor plus a majority of Council members has pretty much absolute authority. The last time the mayor and council regularly disagreed was during the 1980s, a period fondly remembered as "Council Wars."

So yeah, electing a new mayor might not change very much. Then again, the last Council election showed that aldermen's job security was not exactly as untouchable as previously thought.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
the last Council election showed that aldermen's job security was not exactly as untouchable as previously thought.
This time around Shiller, Banks, and Vi Daley are not running for re-election. There are MANY opportunities to get some good aldermen elected. Also, Cook county board needs to be completely replaced.

Anytime you're talking to anyone who's going off on Daley ask them who their alderman is - if they can't even tell you that basic info they aren't anyone worth listening to (in a perfect world they should also know who their precinct captain is and how they got the job).

Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,474,280 times
Quote:
This time around Shiller, Banks, and Vi Daley are not running for re-election...
...and Mary Ann Smith.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM

95 posts, read 217,691 times
Quote:
This time around Shiller, Banks, and Vi Daley are not running for re-election.
Banks retired earlier this year. His "driver" John Rice is now Alderman.

Quote:
Anytime you're talking to anyone who's going off on Daley ask them who their alderman is - if they can't even tell you that basic info they aren't anyone worth listening to.
I agree. One thing that does bother me- there are good Aldermen. In so many comment sections in the newspapers and on blogs, people say that all 50 Aldermen should be voted out. While there are plenty who should go (and I'm glad Shiller's going, even though it would've been more fun to see her lose), there are good ones as well who don't deserve to be lumped in with the bad ones.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Banks retired earlier this year. His "driver" John Rice is now Alderman.
Yep - I think that's a prime seat for a reform candidate to go for. Banks was an anchor of the old school machine, I'm not sad to see him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
I agree. One thing that does bother me- there are good Aldermen. In so many comment sections in the newspapers and on blogs, people say that all 50 Aldermen should be voted out. While there are plenty who should go (and I'm glad Shiller's going, even though it would've been more fun to see her lose), there are good ones as well who don't deserve to be lumped in with the bad ones.
Agreed. Two Aldermen in my area (Waguespack and Flores>Moreno) are pretty good. Joe Moreno replaced Flores recently and he's committed to more transparency (especially re: TIFs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago