Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm defending wearing hats indoors because I shouldn't have to -- this is the 21st century. But alas, there are some cussed old cranks who can't let go of the past and just must make an issue of it.
And there is is! That's each succeeding generation's answer to everything. Just keep watering-down the basic tenets of a polite, civil and considerate society because you can, you're entitled, it's your right, "you'll show them" and back we gradually go to an era of knuckle-dragging, chest-thumping Neanderthals. It all sounds like juvenile hubris and rebellion to me.

My generation was one of the most radical and I never subscribed to the ethos of the day. One wonders how, I and many like me survived it all. Perhaps individuality isn't a lost art after all.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
What you call juvenile rebellion, I call cultural recognition of an antiquated standard that was based in values from an era that we are no longer residing in.

Stating a new standard is going to hurl us backward millions of years in evolutionary development is overdramatic, and very cliche of someone who is part of an older generation. It's just a kafkaesque way saying "back in my day, ....."

Anyways, I'm pretty sure tthric. I'm not going to convince you wearing hats in some places isn't that bad, and you are not going to convince me wearing a hat indoors is on par with flinging feces at one another.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
It's just a kafkaesque way saying "back in my day, ....."
Yup! And I've earned it!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And there is is! That's each succeeding generation's answer to everything...
Including your generation. And you. And the fact that you condemn a process you were a part of is what makes your righteous preening on the subject so grating. As if there was something unique and special about your generation that it somehow perfected social norms and customs and therefore all further such changes should stop at standards set by your generation.

Eh -- sorry, doesn't work like that. Your generation did its part, old-timer, and we'll take it from here.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

When a woman walks in the room a gentleman stands

a man proceeds a woman in a turnstyle so as to push it

A man opens a door for a woman

a man follows a woman up stairs so as to offer support in the event of a slip
this provided a good chuckle. very funny.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Erasmus put it best:

Quote:
The most important rule of civility, however irreproachable one may be, is to excuse readily the faults of others and not to love a comrade less because his manners are uncultivated. For many make up for the rudeness of their manners by other qualities and our precepts are not so absolute that we say none can be good who does not observe them

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
this provided a good chuckle. very funny.
When I first moved to Europe as a very young lawyer, I was taken aback by how women were generally treated. The weaker sex indeed.

Years later, I moved to Brazil. A little bit older, a little bit wiser, but mostly just as an oversexed American woman very used to her independence. I returned again to the same social manners, where men hold open doors for women and stand at the dinner table when women arrive or excuse themselves.

And it was such a wonderful, refreshing change of pace. It was such a supremely elegant way to interact with members of the opposite sex-- ways in which we court one another, interact, show social respect for anyone and in general... flirt.

Then I moved right back to Los Angeles. And American men. And American social graces. I miss the basic social dignity I saw, in which people took pride in their appearance and did not have to have simple social etiquette explained to them on message boards.

The bottom line here is that wearing a hat in a restaurant is simply not done. It is a display of a lack of manners. Be it a burger joint or a fine dining restaurant, it doesn't matter.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Back to the stuffy-prig tea-and-crumpet table with you. Us hat-wearing, mouth-breathing Philistines are trying to enjoy our casual meal.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM

122 posts, read 253,066 times
I can't believe how many petty opinions people have about wearing a hat in public places....I thought humans were progressing atleast somewhat guess not. Who cares if someone wears a hat at a burger joint or a bar. Especially a bar where most people make fools out of themselves by drinking to much alcohol and making risky decisions like driving after drinking, risky sexual encounters, violence risking someones life.....but dear GOD not a hat. Please......

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
My husband always removes his hat for the National Anthem. Always. And we both place our hands over our hearts, too. Don't give a rat's *** if it looks corny to anyone else.

Last edited by linicx; 08-24-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago