U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,357 posts, read 57,087,822 times
Reputation: 25223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Chicago isn't Chicago, any more. It's gone.

Go to St. Louis. You'll be happier, in so many ways.
What on earth are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
 
436 posts, read 535,164 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Chicago, son. If wish you kids could have seen him in his prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,357 posts, read 57,087,822 times
Reputation: 25223
Wow, that really clears things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,013,629 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Chicago, son. If wish you kids could have seen him in his prime.
I would love to have been of age in Chicago in the 60's and 70's. Right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,244 posts, read 8,171,944 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would love to have been of age in Chicago in the 60's and 70's. Right on.
Not me. That would have meant living in the culture of the 60s and 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,013,629 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Not me. That would have meant living in the culture of the 60s and 70s.
I would love to be around in a time before HIV and when rock n' roll was at its finest period.

Two major drawbacks would be the riots in various parts of the west side (including Humboldt Park,Wicker Park,Noble Square...) and the chance of getting drafted for the Vietnam War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,244 posts, read 8,171,944 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would love to be around in a time before HIV and when rock n' roll was at its finest period.

Two major drawbacks would be the riots in various parts of the west side (including Humboldt Park,Wicker Park,Noble Square...) and the chance of getting drafted for the Vietnam War.
My biggest problem would be being non-white in a much less equal opportunity society. Plus my marriage would have been illegal in many states (but not Illinois).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
 
436 posts, read 535,164 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would love to have been of age in Chicago in the 60's and 70's. Right on.
You get it. Back it up to the 50's, too. You would have met the old-timers that remembered Chicago when it was coming up, and you would have run with the crew that was the heydey of Chicago.

Sorry, guys, but trendy gender-ambiguous enclaves and nouvelle post-modernist Swedish-Ethiopian vegan cooperative bistros just isn't Real Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 PM
 
2,894 posts, read 2,696,954 times
Reputation: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Sorry, guys, but trendy gender-ambiguous enclaves and nouvelle post-modernist Swedish-Ethiopian vegan cooperative bistros just isn't Real Chicago.

People will be able to say this about todays Chicago in 50 yrs.

The same people who were young enough to run around Chicago in the 50's-70's are the same people who made it what it is today. Baby boomers can own that fact the same way they own their nostalgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,244 posts, read 8,171,944 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
You get it. Back it up to the 50's, too. You would have met the old-timers that remembered Chicago when it was coming up, and you would have run with the crew that was the heydey of Chicago.

Sorry, guys, but trendy gender-ambiguous enclaves and nouvelle post-modernist Swedish-Ethiopian vegan cooperative bistros just isn't Real Chicago.
Yeah great. You'll have to excuse me if I don't share your enthusiasm for the "good ol" days where people like me knew their place in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top