Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 35,685 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago this fall and looking for an apartment. My budget is rather tight and it is around 800. I have a pug that will move in with me. Can anyone help me hunt a dog friendly apartment please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
You will not be able to find an apartment downtown for $800, not even a sardine can sized one.

Finding apartments around the city that accept dogs that size is not difficult. Websites like Craigslist and Apartment Finders let you search by pet friendly apartments and budget. Go to the first stickie thread on the forum and search through for neighborhood descriptions to narrow your search.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,549 times
Here are the official dog parks:
Chicago Park District | Dog Friendly Areas (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/resources/dog_friendly_areas - broken link)

Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 PM

295 posts, read 837,823 times
As an independent leasing consultant, it drives me bonkers when people say that finding a dog friendly apartment in Chicago is NOT difficult. Having a dog WILL limit your options - greatly. The silver lining is that most private owners can be persuaded to accept dogs, however most buildings/management companies cannot.

$800 for a dog friendly apartment downtown (I'm considering the Loop, Streeterville, River North, and the Gold Coast as "downtown") extremely low, if not non-existent, even with the current specials most buildings are offering. What is your move date? Where are you going everyday? What are you looking for in a neighborhood? In an apartment? Can you pay more than $800 if utilities and parking is not included. Figure these out first and then begin your search as this will help you narrow down much of what is available to you. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
As an independent leasing consultant, it drives me bonkers when people say that finding a dog friendly apartment in Chicago is NOT difficult.
There is a glut of rental properties on the market all over the city though so if you simply search Craigslist and click the dog box it will only bring up apartments that allow dogs (though they may have weight restrictions -- but that won't be a problem with pugs). There are at least 15-25 new listings every day that allow dogs. Hell, I have three cats, a large dog and I foster St Bernards and I had no problem finding places. I toured at least 25 places before making my decision this time and could easily have seen 50 more if I so chose.

You may not be able to live in a Streeterville or LSD high rise with dogs but those are most likely out of the OPs budget anyway. Since OP is moving from out of town he unfortunately cannot drive around looking for the hand written signs that are a telltale of independent landlords and a bastion of great deals but he still does not have an impossible task ahead of him.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM

295 posts, read 837,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
There is a glut of rental properties on the market all over the city though so if you simply search Craigslist and click the dog box it will only bring up apartments that allow dogs (though they may have weight restrictions -- but that won't be a problem with pugs). There are at least 15-25 new listings every day that allow dogs. Hell, I have three cats, a large dog and I foster St Bernards and I had no problem finding places. I toured at least 25 places before making my decision this time and could easily have seen 50 more if I so chose.

You may not be able to live in a Streeterville or LSD high rise with dogs but those are most likely out of the OPs budget anyway. Since OP is moving from out of town he unfortunately cannot drive around looking for the hand written signs that are a telltale of independent landlords and a bastion of great deals but he still does not have an impossible task ahead of him.
You proved my point. Out of the 15 - 25 new listing that allow dogs, the 100 + new listings everyday don't. You also say you toured at least 25 dog friendly places before making your decision. In Old Town? Hard to believe, unless you looked for a year . If you toured a variety of different neighborhoods, understandable, but I'm guessing you realized by expanding your neighborhood search, there were more options available for you and your brood. If you include private owners, as I stated earlier, most are flexible when allowed.

Bottom line: for every one apartment that accepts a dog, there are at least 7 that don't.

For the OP: the further north you go, your dollar will stretch more. Try viewing studios in Lakeview, or 1 beds in Buena Park, Uptown, Andersonville. You can visit the Neighborhoods thread at the top of the forum for more information on these particular 'hoods..

Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
I think surlycue's point was that, while dog friendly apartments obviously aren't as plentiful as no pets apartment, finding them is easy using sites like Craigslist that allow you to filter out no pets apartment. it's websites these that make it easier to find dog friendly apartments. I don't think she's implying that finding one is as easy as finding an apartment that doesn't allow dogs

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,541 times
I'm not sure if you mean "down town" as in the loop area or just Chicago in general. If it's Chicago in general, about a block away from the Rockwell Brownline sation there are dog friendly apts. They are in the yellow brick building at Rockwell/Eastwood.

The 1 bdrs are about 825-875 and that is with heat included. His number is on the side of the building. Give him a call, I know that someone is moving out of state in a couple of months. It's a great neighborhood (about a mile away from Blago) and you don't need a car with the el stop right there.

Across the street the same owner has apartments next to and above the laundry mat. These do not include heat and are cheaper. I'm not sure how much though.

There are no size limits on the dog. The landlord is very chill....sometimes too chill :-)

Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,885 times
Is there anyway you could post the number or better yet send it to me in a private message? Me and my fiance have a baby pittbull and are having a very difficult time trying to find an apartment... thanks for your time and post

Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,885 times
Is there anyway you could post the number or better yet send it to me in a private message? Me and my fiance have a baby pittbull and are having a very difficult time trying to find an apartment... thanks for your time and post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago