Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,451 times

Advertisements

I went to Harold Washington for a few semesters and wouldn't describe it as a bad experience. I wouldn't describe the staff as being particularly helpful and caring, but not bad either. Regardless, you can't beat the price for classes there.

The bad reviews I'm looking at online are written by whiny morons with stupid complaints anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
in ChicagoLAND, the best are

College of Dupage, Harper and College of Lake County. These schools have the biggest campuses and the widest range of programs.

Oakton is also very good, although their main campus is smaller, with bigger satellite campuses.

Moraine Valley is good too. Thats the SW suburbs. Probably the biggest Arab population in Chicagoland is actually down there.

Tritons OK. They don't have quite as much funds as they used to. But the instructors are great. Serves a diverse range of communities of the inner west suburbs.

Waubonsee is supposed to be good (Aurora/southern Kane county). Their facility is Sugar Grove is very new. Elgin is good. Joliet Junior college is also good. McHenry is more rural and the most "whitebread" but a good school too.

Prairie state is in the poorest, most economically stagnant area of Chicagoland (South suburbs east of I-57.

Honestly, the city community colleges are not all that great. Just like the public high schools. I know because I teach community college in the suburbs and I get out of district students from the city. They use a relatives address.
Wow,

For a community college, Prairie State is a great school. It's great for getting all your basic classes done before going to a university. The professors and staff are helpful and know what they're doing. I've learned a lot from them.

And FYI, there are two community colleges in the south suburbs east of I-57. Prairie State is down in Chicago Heights. Further north, nestled in really close proximity to the city is South Suburban College in South Holland.

Last edited by urza216; 08-29-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 10:02 AM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
One awesome thing about Prairie State is that it doesn't have whites-only classrooms the way Moraine Valley does. ...
Well, you learn something new everyday. I'm taking a geology class this fall and there are half a dozen black students, a few hispanic and a few Arab students in the class. Of course, this is in the new science building, which is named after the colleges long time, African American president, so I suppose that had to integrate that building.

Apparently you haven't been to Moraine Valley within the past 20 years, or you wouldn't make such an asinine comment.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well, you learn something new everyday. I'm taking a geology class this fall and there are half a dozen black students, a few hispanic and a few Arab students in the class. Of course, this is in the new science building, which is named after the colleges long time, African American president, so I suppose that had to integrate that building.

Apparently you haven't been to Moraine Valley within the past 20 years, or you wouldn't make such an asinine comment.
Oh, wow.. I just looked it up and realized I made a mistake about what I had been thinking. Never mind. I apologize for my asinine and un-called for comment.

I am now editing my comment.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Now we have somewhat of a city colleges thread. Awesome.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Now we have somewhat of a city colleges thread. Awesome.
What's wrong with that?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
Nothing at all. It was done to streamline info.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Nothing at all. It was done to streamline info.
Oh, okay.. I misunderstood. Both you and Drover have posted similarly worded sarcastic comments in the past, lol.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay.. I misunderstood. Both you and Drover have posted similarly worded sarcastic comments in the past, lol.
It is strange is it not? And no, like many people have accused-we are not the same person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago