Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 AM

72 posts, read 100,527 times

Advertisements

I've posted before but another question, I've gotten an apartment in lincoln park and I wanted to know if i bring my car how long of a commute i would have to get to w. randolph where my job is.....or is it just better to leave my car in sc and take public transporation??? thanks so much for all the help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgurl10 View Post
I've posted before but another question, I've gotten an apartment in lincoln park and I wanted to know if i bring my car how long of a commute i would have to get to w. randolph where my job is.....or is it just better to leave my car in sc and take public transporation??? thanks so much for all the help.....
Ok, I'll start this one ..unless your apartment in LP comes with off-street parking and you have parking where you're working downtown covered by your employer, driving to work won't make much sense ..Parking downtown can be 14-20.00/day ..street parking in LP can be very challenging..Plus, chances are good your insurance rates will be quite a bit higher here than in SC, plus gas is higher ... care and feeding of an auto in Chicago isn't cheap ... I'd plan on public transportation for the daily commute..but, hey, that's just me

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 AM

thanks for the reply, i've never taken public transportation, is it difficult to figure out the system.....?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Unless the W. Randolph location is past Ashland or Damen...

...odds are that if you are working too close to funky town / gang zone you might want a car so you are not on public transit in a dangerous / unpleasant area. The area west of Greek town had a lot of wholesale butchers / fish purveyors and that attracke vermin, but that is mostly cleaned up with hip restaurants and bars. West of there there are still some ghetto sections, but frankly not too many jobs, east of there commute on public trnait is a breeze.

Car would be a ball and chain in many parts of Lincon Park... Parking bans, street cleaning means you will get ticketed and towed if you do not have off street parking. Winter? Plowed in! No fun "excavating" your own car for some snow bank...

Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
Not at all. I'd recommend going with someone who's experienced the first few times, but it's really not that hard. If you take the red line, it's especially easy because everything is well-marked. The bus can be a bit trickier because you need to be familiar with the streets. Honestly, I think it would take you longer to drive to the Loop during rush hour than you'd spend on the train. If you're bringing a car, save it for the weekend, and you can also get a lower insurance rate that way.

How far west is your job? That could change things.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgurl10 View Post
thanks for the reply, i've never taken public transportation, is it difficult to figure out the system.....?
It's really easy. Google Maps will pick out the best route for by public transit, just enter your starting and destination addresses. I've found it to be really accurate. If you need to take buses CTA Bus Tracker is really helpful.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
What hundred is the address on Randolph ?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
If you can give an approximate address where you live and where you wiork - without being address specific - perhaps someone can give you simple directions.

Example: I live near the corner of Stop & Go. I work in the 300 block of W. Randolph.

I would leave the car in SC until you learn the city. You can rent a GO (?) car for shopping trips.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM

98 posts, read 145,472 times
Your best bet is public transport. Parking downtown is ridiculous and finding a parking space when everyone is coming home from work in Lincoln Park is going to be hard too.

If you can get to the red line, you could get on towards 95th/Dan Ryan and just ask someone the closest stop or transfer to your building.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm sorry but i screwed up the address, sorry but i'll be living on north pine grove in lincoln park and my job is on north clark street....sorry about the confusion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago