Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times

Advertisements

Hi - so we've accepted the Chicago job. Woop! We're working on where to live next. Ideally I'd like to rent for 6 months until we can figure out where we want to be. In the meantime - can you all give me some idea of commutes from the following towns - assume arrival into Central Chicago at around 7:00AM, depart downtown at about 4:00.

I'm wondering about these towns:
Crystal Lake
Naperville
Oswego

Please don't offer the train schedule -- he'll be in different sites, sometimes daily, and will have to be back and forth between sites all day (some of which don't have stations nearby)

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
All of them are not good commute wise in a car. Do you have any idea where the work areas will be?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
All of them are not good commute wise in a car. Do you have any idea where the work areas will be?
downtown - he'll be in various schools daily in CPS. He's prepared for an hour commute - is that realistic, or are the areas listed more like 2 hour at that time ?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
downtown - he'll be in various schools daily in CPS. He's prepared for an hour commute - is that realistic, or are the areas listed more like 2 hour at that time ?
They all are most certainly (for the most part) one hour each-bare minimum-not factoring in weather and other variables.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
I think you either need to choose a burb that is near to the city or live in the city itself if you need to drive. Think Oak park, Forrest park ect. Also in what areas are thoose sites? The city itself has some nasty traffic at times.

Another thing he needs to check out is parking, basically there is almost no parking downtown and the traffic is bad. However there are lots of cabs and the downtown area isn't that large(i.e. he could cab it around). I am also confused by you saying that he is working downtown but the sites are not near train stations. Downtown Chicago has the best coverage via public transit of any area in the state.

Do you mean he will be driving around CPS schools located all over chicago rather than in downtown chicago??

Last edited by chirack; 09-06-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I think you either need to choose a burb that is near to the city or live in the city itself if you need to drive. Think Oak park, Forrest park ect. Also in what areas are thoose sites? The city itself has some nasty traffic at times.

Another thing he needs to check out is parking, basically there is almost no parking downtown and the traffic is bad. However there are lots of cabs and the downtown area isn't that large(i.e. he could cab it around). I am also confused by you saying that he is working downtown but the sites are not near train stations. Downtown Chicago has the best coverage via public transit of any area in the state.

Do you mean he will be driving around CPS schools located all over chicago rather than in downtown chicago??
the schools won't be limited to just the loop- they will be all over the city limits of Chicago. We have 3 kids - 7, 3, 1 and relish life with a yard, space in the house, the trappings of suburban life. we've lived in the suburbs of ny and commuted and also the burbs of DC and commuted. He's not afraid of a commute, we just want to understand what the commute is like at different times of day from the different suburbs.

thanks for the info on the areas to check out within the city limits!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default The freeways and tollways have some well known choke points...

Anything to the NW will be SEVERALLY bottlenecked at the end of the NW tollway / start of the Kennedy, plus to get to any south side area it would necessary to use the Dan Ryan, which has very heavy volumes of trucks and is laid out very inefficiently. For those reasons I would scratch Crystal Lkake or other NW suburbs off your list given the driving necessary in his job.

Anything west of Hillside gets bottlenecked at the end of the E-W Tollway/ start of the Eisenhower. Despite some reconfiguration the high volumes of cars and service oriented vehicles makes this miserable, combined with a very long commute to this choke point few people that live in Naperville and can take commuter rail brave the driving.

Oswego is mostly surrounded by Naperville, any traffic problems are shared.

Given your husband's need to drive it would be prudent to give serious thought to closer in suburbs. I would give serious thought to Brookfiled, Riverside, Oak Park, Park Ridge and maybe Oak Lawn. For the most part these are more traditional suburbs but the homes do have yards and parks, good schools, easier access to Chicago...

Old 09-07-2010, 06:09 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Does the requirement to live in Chicago only apply to teachers at CPS?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Does the requirement to live in Chicago only apply to teachers at CPS?
I don't know - I know that it does not apply to my husband, who will be serving a contract with CPS. I expect that his team will probably be living either within city limits or very nearby. (the teams onsite daily at the same schools)

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Chet everett suggestions are good suburbs to look at. From downtown Chicago to oak park and most of the burbs he mentioned can be up to an hour in rush hour traffic, but without traffic it is down to 30 mins or less. In addition the Western burbs are near the western boarder of Chicago so travel times to the west side of Chicago will be lower than that.

The city itself is rather large and not everything is near an expressway, so their may be times his commute will be a little longer than 1 hour no matter which near burb he chooses. Also see where the locations he needs to vist are.

Oakpark and the west burbs are fine if he mostly needs to go to the west side and maybe the near north or northside but if the schools he needs to vist are on the far south side it makes less sense.

Last edited by chirack; 09-07-2010 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago