Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! Recent college graduate here. I was born in Chicago and raised on the North Shore. After finishing school, I unexpectedly started at job in Northbrook (after being almost positive I was relocating to Washington, DC) and have been staying at my parents' (yeah, yeah...) in Highland Park. While my family has a fantastic place, I need space of my own and have been on the apartment hunt for about a month now without much luck. Any suggestions? Feedback from those that do the reverse commute would be much, much appreciated.

I'm looking for a large 1BR or small 2BR, as I need space to spread out and occasionally telecommute, with a newer kitchen and bath and easy street or dedicated parking with good access to 90/94/41. I like quieter areas but miss being walking and biking distance from restaurants, stores, etc. and having late-night options.

Areas I have in mind are Evanston, Rogers Park, and Avondale. Is the latter too far/too bad of a commute to even consider? Also, should I hold off my search until after the October 1 move-in rush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

644 posts, read 1,181,365 times
Holding off the search is kind of pointless. You might as well start looking now to see what's available. You might find something now that won't be available next month.

Avondale is kind of a weird choice. It has good access to nightlife, but I think your commute would be a lot longer from there than it would be from, say, Evanston. It also has some safety issues. The Kennedy gets backed up all the time, even on weekends sometimes. I wouldn't want to rely on it for a daily commute.

Have you looked into Skokie? You might be able to get more space for your money there, and it has better access to I-94. Access to the city from Skokie isn't as good as it is from Evanston or Rogers Park, but it's still served by the CTA.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM

I'd love to live in Evanston but the real estate market there is super, super hot again and rents are at their highest since 2004. I could get a 2 BR in Logan Square for the cost of an aging studio in Evanston. I also worry about the college-town environment. After having lived in the university district of Columbus, OH for four years, I'm ready to have a place where I won't wake up to, uh, puke in my doorway. :\ This said, convenience to Green Bay and Sheridan as alternate routes to work is VERY appealing.

Skokie seems a little suburban for me. I know it's much, MUCH more diverse than the North Shore but... still doesn't seem particularly walkable or bikeable. And the Swift's schedule-- yeesh.

Thoughts on East Rogers Park? I know it's being gentrified hardcore with everything going up around Loyola... but is it still sort of dicey?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
You are going to be working in Northbrook? Forget Avondale.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,954,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnermint View Post
I'd love to live in Evanston but the real estate market there is super, super hot again and rents are at their highest since 2004. I could get a 2 BR in Logan Square for the cost of an aging studio in Evanston. I also worry about the college-town environment. After having lived in the university district of Columbus, OH for four years, I'm ready to have a place where I won't wake up to, uh, puke in my doorway. :\ This said, convenience to Green Bay and Sheridan as alternate routes to work is VERY appealing.

Skokie seems a little suburban for me. I know it's much, MUCH more diverse than the North Shore but... still doesn't seem particularly walkable or bikeable. And the Swift's schedule-- yeesh.

Thoughts on East Rogers Park? I know it's being gentrified hardcore with everything going up around Loyola... but is it still sort of dicey?
I lived in Evanston for 3 years in the downtown area and I never thought it really felt like a college town. I went to the University of Illinois in Urbana/Champaign and Evanston definitely has a very different feel to me. I never once saw someone throw up in the downtown area, let alone on my doorstep or anything like that.

Personally, I loved living in Evanston and if you can get it to work with your budget, that is where I'd go out of the places you listed so far. I really can't say much about Roger's Park, but I know that the area near the Howard red line stop has always left me feeling on edge at night, and sometimes even during the day if I'm alone. That's coming from someone who lives on the east side of Humboldt Park. I don't know what it is about that area, but I just get weird vibes there.

When I lived in Evanston I spent a good amount of time in the city and having the red/purple line was very convenient. Despite not liking the area around the Howard red line stop, I never hesitated to ride the train, I just never liked leaving the station there and very rarely did.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM

nikitakolata - Mind my asking where you found a place in Evanston? Any particular building/area/realtor/property management company you had any luck with? I'd love to be in Evanston but am getting so frustrated with trying to find a reasonable (1 BR under $950/mo) place in a safe area.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,954,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnermint View Post
nikitakolata - Mind my asking where you found a place in Evanston? Any particular building/area/realtor/property management company you had any luck with? I'd love to be in Evanston but am getting so frustrated with trying to find a reasonable (1 BR under $950/mo) place in a safe area.
I'm not a ton of help with finding a rental in Evanston because I owned my condo when I lived there. But, I just did a search on CL and there seem to be plenty of options under $950. If you want a place with nice finishes you will have to settle for one bedroom or a studio though. I guess it depends on what you want, more space, or less space but better finishes like granite/stainless/etc.

chicago apts/housing for rent classifieds "evanston" - craigslist

If I were looking to live there again I would want to personally stay east of Ridge (or just barely west of it), and north of South Boulevard. I think CL is your best bet to find a place because I just looked on the MLS and there is nothing under $950 at all... so a traditional Realtor probably won't be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago