Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times

Advertisements

chet, you've got some fair points, but nevertheless, the responsibility of running CPS is significant, and is far more challenging than most jobs in the private sector, including the "CEO" of my institution, who wouldn't be able to hack 1 week running the schools yet makes almost twice what Huberman does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,302,480 times
Now this is not encouraging if these people succeed in altering CPS policy in an even worse direction:

"A nonprofit group representing Chicago Public Schools parents alleges that the district's policy of flunking third-, sixth- and eighth-grade students who fail to meet cutoff scores on state standardized tests disproportionately harms black and Latino students."

Parents charge CPS flunking policy is discriminatory - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/federal-complaint-hits-cps-flunking-policy.html - broken link)

Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 AM

483 posts, read 1,215,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Now this is not encouraging if these people succeed in altering CPS policy in an even worse direction:

"A nonprofit group representing Chicago Public Schools parents alleges that the district's policy of flunking third-, sixth- and eighth-grade students who fail to meet cutoff scores on state standardized tests disproportionately harms black and Latino students."

Parents charge CPS flunking policy is discriminatory - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/federal-complaint-hits-cps-flunking-policy.html - broken link)
What a ridiculous article. Sure, play the race card because you don't care enough to sit down with your kid and help them when they don't understand something. So, let's just pass everyone, and we can have graduating classes that can't add or spell. What next...

Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,302,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
So, let's just pass everyone, and we can have graduating classes that can't add or spell. What next...
That is what was being done to a degree for many years in certain schools with certain kids. Things changed a few years ago for the better and now these people want to regress. It is really sad,insulting,tragic, and outrageous.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default Hey, there are those on this forum that think the be all and all...

... Of evaluating schools ought to be the graduation rate. I guess that plays right into that mindset -- "man some of those south suburban schools are really trouncing us in graduation rates, hey, I know let's get a gaggle of angry race baiting trouble making media freaks to shame the CPS into setting the bar so low that EVERY kid will graduate, that surely will keep idiot home shoppers that look at a meaningless statistic from turning the south side into something that looks like Detroit and exposes all those store front churches for the sham they are..."

I suppose some of this inevitable when CPS is run as a political enterprise; bootlickers like Huberman are trained to answer to one and only one mandate: Make the mayor not look bad.

If fools like Meeks or Carol Mosley-Embarrassment get elected who know what kind of incompetent lackey they'd find to head up CPS.

Fun times ahead...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I think this is going to backfire in a huge way.

These parents are basically telling the world that they bear no responsibility for the academic success of their kids - good luck with that one.

I just sent in my magnet applications, and am also looking into a neighborhood school that some of the Logan Sq folks are rallying behind. We'll see if CPS can sway me, as I'm about as skeptical as it gets that no matter how good a school's teachers are, that the larger system is just corrupt beyond redemption.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
That is what was being done to a degree for many years in certain schools with certain kids. Things changed a few years ago for the better and now these people want to regress. It is really sad,insulting,tragic, and outrageous.
The problem is that all the research shows that grade retention is ineffective. Despite the popular belief that repeating a grade is an effective remedy for students who have failed to master basic skills, however, the large body of research on grade retention is almost uniformly negative. We need to find ways of helping failing students and retention does NOT do that.

Early intervention works, grade retention doesn't (Nov. 15, 1999)

NASP Position Statement on Grade Retention

Quote:
Research examining the overall effects of 19 empirical studies conducted during the 1990s compared outcomes for students who were retained and matched comparison students who were promoted. Results indicate that grade retention had a negative impact on all areas of achievement (reading, math and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).
Dawley - What to Do with Failing Students (TESL/TEFL)

APS Observer - Helping Failing Students Part 1: The Actively Failing Student

APS Observer - Helping Failing Students Part 2: Understanding, Reaching, and Helping Passively Failing Students

Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,632,749 times
I support the parents. Nana053 has it right about the research that shows that holding kids back doesn't help. Why would parents want to willingly subject their children to something that has the strong potential to leave them in a WORSE academic place, not better?

Then again, CPS policies don't seem to be based on sound academic practices. My personal current pet peeve is that "good" schools seem to be defined by amount of homework (in some cases WILDLY out of touch with what almost all research on the subject says is acceptable), and that CPS mandates letter grades even at the elementary level. I'm a strong supporter of public schools, but CPS and its crazy policies and the feeling that we can either chooose a "good" school that pushes grades and test scores above actual learning or intellectual risk, or a lousy school where the kid working at or above grade level won't get any attention.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My personal current pet peeve is that "good" schools seem to be defined by amount of homework (in some cases WILDLY out of touch with what almost all research on the subject says is acceptable), and that CPS mandates letter grades even at the elementary level.
I think it's more the reality that good schools have kids who do their homework.

While the IB programs may be excessive with their 4 hours a night (it actually results in a lot of copying/cheating), I'd be shocked if your non-magnet program CPS high school kid does an hour of homework on average.

It might actually be just as defensible for CPS to sue the parents for negligence, given how many kids leave CPS high schools still unable to read and write.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM

622 posts, read 1,190,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think it's more the reality that good schools have kids who do their homework.

While the IB programs may be excessive with their 4 hours a night (it actually results in a lot of copying/cheating), I'd be shocked if your non-magnet program CPS high school kid does an hour of homework on average.

It might actually be just as defensible for CPS to sue the parents for negligence, given how many kids leave CPS high schools still unable to read and write.
shoot...my CPS 4th-grade son often has that much homework. and no...he's not slow. all A's and a very fast reader. we go to a pretty good school tho. Bridge Elem in Dunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago