Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM

80 posts, read 268,465 times

Advertisements

$850 sounds like a great deal if the place and the building are nice. The neighborhood wouldn't bother me but I would be careful late at night and I wouldn't leave things in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 PM

400 posts, read 957,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cump View Post
$850 sounds like a great deal if the place and the building are nice. The neighborhood wouldn't bother me but I would be careful late at night and I wouldn't leave things in my car.
Thats pretty cheap, thats a good deal.
Ive never had my car broken into,
but yeah dont leave nice stuff in it, anywhere in the city....

Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,605 times
Most "dangerous" neighborhoods on the north side are perfectly fine unless you're an absolute idiot.

1. Don't leave things in your car, or your car unlocked if you have one. Duh.

2. Do not make yourself the center of attention for trouble. I.E. Do not walk through a group of gangbangers to get where you're going if there is obviously an open path nearby. The extra six seconds it takes to cross the street is well worth your time, money and other personal possessions.

3. Don't hang around El stops that are known to be sketchy at night. Actually, don't hang around El stops ever in general. If you are at an El stop, ride the El. You're asking for trouble if you're just wandering around under some viaduct in the middle of the night. If you really do need to use public transport at night or other odd hours - try to bring yourself closer to someone who seems to be going in the direction you are without spooking them of course or stick to an area that's well lit. If possible, take a friend, boyfriend, girlfriend or roommate with you.

Tons of people in the city go day to day without having any problems and have for years. Most of the time, people put themselves in bad situations, bad situations don't just find them. You're getting an excellent deal on a 2 bedroom for 850 - in my opinion, that's definitely worth living in Rogers Park. Especially considering it's proximity to both downtown Chicago, Evanston as well as the beach and great public transport options all over the place.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Well, I'm going to look at the place next week. It's a 2BR with brand new kitchen, bathroom, windows, etc. $850 a month. Is that reasonable for the area? Or, should it be a whole lot less?
Heat better be included.

I thought you wanted to get into Lincoln Square or Ravenswood?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM

400 posts, read 957,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Heat better be included.

Nah, even if heat or electricity isnt included that is a very good deal.
Its a 2 bedroom right?

Lincoln Square is almost congruent with Ravenswood.
That area of Chicago did itself no favors with the over done
Neigborhood names.

The Reader did a bit on the confusing nature of that neigborhood
and its names.

Where else on the northside can you get a nice 2 bedroom for 850
thats really damn cheap.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Its a 2 bedroom right?

Lincoln Square is almost congruent with Ravenswood.
That area of Chicago did itself no favors with the over done
Neigborhood names.

The Reader did a bit on the confusing nature of that neigborhood
and its names.

thats really damn cheap.
850 for a two bedroom anywhere on the north side pretty much is an excellent deal. Especially if it's updated.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
thats really damn cheap.
In like 80% of the neighborhoods north of Madison.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Not for that neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Heat better be included.

That's the only downside. She is passing all utility costs off to us should we decide to rent it. I absolutely hate paying for heat. The unit has central heating and air conditioning.

I figure between gas/heat in the winter and a/c and electricity in the summer, our housing costs would probably be around $925-$950 a month, if not more.

What I like about renting vintage places is the fact that the landlord or management company often times will pick up cooking gas, water and radiated heat cost. My only utility is electricity, and that's cheap.

Not to mention my fiancee doesn't sound too hot on Rogers Park. She seems to really love how Lincoln Square has a lot of community events going on (like music or fests in the square.) I don't know if Rogers Park offers any type of little book store like the Book Cellar.

So, we'll see how things pan out. I still have about 10 weeks until my lease is up at my current place.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
She seems to really love how Lincoln Square has a lot of community events going on (like music or fests in the square.)
It is very lively and active on Lincoln in the warm months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago