U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 65,740 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I am looking to move to Chicago and have found a location that is perfect for my commute and price range. The address is 7515 N. Winchester at Birchwood (approximatley a half mile from the Red Line stop on Howard). I intend to walk to the Metra stop (about a mile south down Clark) and use the Red Line frequently. I have begun building a great relationship with the landlord and the location offers everything I need. However, I have big concerns about the safety of the area. Will I need to worry about a high crime rate and gang violence at this location?

Your insight is highly appreicated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 105,864 times
Yes, you will have to be careful, as with most places in Chicago or any major city. Rogers Park is a great part of Chicago because it's close to public transportation, close to the lake and alot of great places and is actually diverse. Where you are living is near two police cameras with blue blinking lights. I haven't lived on Howard St in over a year but there is heavy gang activity. If you are a women you have to be careful ecspecially at the Howard stop. It's the last stop on the red line and if you take it late at night or early in the morning it gets alot of sketchy folks. Also, as a white male I wasn't harassed to much by anyone on the street besides the occasional prostitute, and many of the gang bangers assumed I was a cop. Keep your head straight and no one will bother you. I highly reccomend Rogers Park to anyone, but you just need to be careful and be smart.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 AM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
This topic has been done to death already. Start in the "Chicago" forum, in the upper right corner click "search this forum" right underneath the page count and put in "Rogers Park." That should yield you tons of opinions on RP.

For what it's worth, I'll cut to the chase and tell you that Clark Street is one of the nastiest drags in all of RP. On the other hand, it's usually busy so you're not likely to come to any serious trouble.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM

Here is a blog by an RP resident that provides some rather blunt insight.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM

96 posts, read 483,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltark28 View Post
Hello All -

I am looking to move to Chicago and have found a location that is perfect for my commute and price range. The address is 7515 N. Winchester at Birchwood (approximatley a half mile from the Red Line stop on Howard). I intend to walk to the Metra stop (about a mile south down Clark) and use the Red Line frequently. I have begun building a great relationship with the landlord and the location offers everything I need. However, I have big concerns about the safety of the area. Will I need to worry about a high crime rate and gang violence at this location?

Your insight is highly appreicated.
speaking of gangs, I have an article on this and also there is a google map that shows all the gangs in the Chicago area, locations, names, etc

Old 07-22-2007, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 68,705 times
Default Rogers Park safety

Since your posting is from last month, you undoubtedly have already had several things happen to you in your neighborhood. The thrill of not knowing what you will see next is one of the great joys of living in Chicago. Just be very aware of your surroundings.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:10 AM

3 posts, read 134,120 times
Default How Safe is Rogers Park around 7500 N. Winchester

I have lived at Ridge and Touhy for about ten years. I spent my first three years at Winchester and Rogers around 1960. I have not experienced a single challenge with crime. I sometimes walk from the Howard Terminal, when the 290 bus is not running after midnight. Although quiet, I have not had a problem and have worn a suit past Pottawatomie Park.

If you are not prejudice, it is a very diverse place to live. Once you know the place, it is easier to live there and you begin to realize that there is some landbanking going on that is keeping some properties looking more shabby than they should.

I have stopped by J. K. Rogers Park Pantry and Summit Grocery. They look seedy, but for a last minute microbrew, J. K. is a convenient place to pick up things; it closes earlier. There is also RP Fruit Market at Clark and Rogers. If you want an old world butcher, then go to Romanian at Clark and Touhy, but their hours are from 9-5 except for Shabbat on Friday. Of course, Dominicks is in Gateway along with Amphora Restaurant, so if you need a place to stock up, it is easy.

About four months ago, perhaps longer, there was a drive by shooting near Jordan Academy. No one was killed, but a child was injured. The accused was allegedly from the south side. It was an aberration in my opinion. The area is densely packed and unfortunately, in a big city things can happen. I never saw anything from my vantage point. If it had not been for Craig Gernhardt at Broken Heart, I would never know.

Also, the area is changing with the new construction and rehabilitation. The Howard Terminal is undergoing an extreme makeover. When the project is done, reasonable real estate is going to be more scarce. Go to Rogers Park, Chicago - Apartments, Business, Restaurants, Artists and More... for general info on the area.

The convenience to the suburbs and the City make the area very easy to commute and live in. I planned to stay only two years, but we liked the house, schools, and location too much to leave. If you are concerned about schools look at Decatur Classical or some of the Chicago Public School Magnets. The system has some tremendous options, but many overlook it.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:16 AM

3 posts, read 134,120 times
One point on the Chicago gang website. It is obvious that the people who drew up that map don't know the neighborhood, Winchester is mis-identified on that website as another street. How do I know? I leave a few blocks away. Winchester runs north and south on the west border of Pottawatomie Park, FWIW.

There are things happening, but most of it is good in that Police have stopped quite a bit and deterred much of what was once an area that was more challenged. Many moved to the area due to Maurice Harvey, who served as Jordan Academy's principal until his retirement last June. Maurice worked at Jordan at its inception, which was around 1996 or 1997.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:23 AM

I wrote off that "gang website" when they claimed that a park near my home was gang territory. If by "gang" they mean "a bunch of 12-year-old Mexican kids playing baseball" then I guess they're right. But I don't find myself particularly intimidated by the supposed "gang" that hangs out in this park doing menacing things like playing frisbee.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 AM

13 posts, read 95,310 times
Chicagocrime.org is much more useful. Here's that address showing crimes within four blocks. Please note that this is only meaningful if you compare it to a "safe" neighborhood and consider the population density (i.e. likelihood that any crime might affect you -- a suburban subdivision with this same spread would be very risky).

Crimes within 4 blocks of 7500 block N. Winchester Ave. | chicagocrime.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago