U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM

580 posts, read 549,960 times
In all honesty, I think these maps are kinda interesting. I've always been interested in demographics and city layouts--not to prove any specific point or anything, but just because. I find it notable how certain cities have very clearly defined "racial" boundaries, while other cities are much more integrated.

Although updated 2010 maps would be much better, especially to see if any changes have taken place. And the ability to zoom in on certain areas, or even have landmarks and major highways highlighted would also be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM

279 posts, read 536,238 times
I think it's fascinating. If you follow the link there are over a hundred cities have been mapped this way. If you are into geography, it is pretty cool. If maps bore you, well ....

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:58 PM

258 posts, read 377,139 times
Well, here's a forerunner that I did back in 2003, with more geographic context.

Unread 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,454,831 times
This one outlines the neighborhoods and is easier to read. What stands out to me is historic Pullman. I knew what a racial island it was, but this depiction really brings it home.
radicalcartography

Unread 09-26-2010, 10:33 PM

253 posts, read 396,607 times
I think these maps are pretty interesting, even if they are based on 10 year old data.

One of the most astonishing things this map shows is how much of a racial divide Austin Blvd is between Chicago and Oak Park. While the areas dominated by different ethnic groups are usually divided by some industrial areas, rivers, or expressways, in this case it is just a street and the map suddenly goes from heavy blue to heavy red.

It will be interesting to see a similar map based on the latest census data, but do you really think it will change that much? I imagine the blue dots around Cabrini Green will be mostly gone. The West and South Loop will look quite a bit different and probably there will be a lot more red in the Wicker Park / Bucktown areas as well, but I'm not sure if areas farther from the Loop will have changed all that much.

Unread 09-27-2010, 08:06 AM

2,883 posts, read 2,429,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It might be a little cool if it had actual current data,boundaries,and a few major streets highlighted.

The city has changed a lot in the last ten years.
If you can't look at that may and tell where the major arterial streets are, you probably don't know Chicagoland well enough to care about this map anyway. It's pretty obvious where the major streets are, and once you know that you can determine the boundaries.

And while Chicago will have changed since 2000, I would guess than an updated map wouldn't differ enormously. And having this as a baseline only makes a 2010 version all the more interesting, since then you can actually see the changes - without this map, a 2010 one is just static and much less interesting.

Unread 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

4,965 posts, read 7,304,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
I think these maps are pretty interesting, even if they are based on 10 year old data.

One of the most astonishing things this map shows is how much of a racial divide Austin Blvd is between Chicago and Oak Park. While the areas dominated by different ethnic groups are usually divided by some industrial areas, rivers, or expressways, in this case it is just a street and the map suddenly goes from heavy blue to heavy red.

It will be interesting to see a similar map based on the latest census data, but do you really think it will change that much? I imagine the blue dots around Cabrini Green will be mostly gone. The West and South Loop will look quite a bit different and probably there will be a lot more red in the Wicker Park / Bucktown areas as well, but I'm not sure if areas farther from the Loop will have changed all that much.
I think the racial boundaries on the southwest and northwest sides (and the peripheral neighborhoods in general) will have changed quite a bit.

Regarding Oak Park, the powers that be make efforts to encourage whites to live on the east end of town, and likewise encourage blacks to not live right at Austin Blvd, in an attempt to prevent segregated housing patterns. It's not 100% effective.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 09-27-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Unread 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,658,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
If you can't look at that may and tell where the major arterial streets are, you probably don't know Chicagoland well enough to care about this map anyway. It's pretty obvious where the major streets are, and once you know that you can determine the boundaries...
I am sure there are many newcomers that it would help.

Unread 09-27-2010, 01:54 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,658,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
...Regarding Oak Park, the powers that be make efforts to encourage whites to live on the east end of town, and likewise encourage blacks to not live right at Austin Blvd, in an attempt to prevent segregated housing patterns. It's not 100% effective.
It is amazing-one can tell right away where Austin Ave is on the west side and the town of Oak Park is when looking at the map.

Unread 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Oak Park Dude,

Oak Park has been very effective in preventing blocks from "turning" as was the case only a few blocks to the east in the 50s and 60s.

The first few blocks west of Austin are almost all black. Many of the white residents are duped by Oak Park Housing Authority into populating some of the apartments near Austin but many move to greener pastures once they figure out that they can rent in much safer parts of Oak Park for only slightly more money.

Oak Park is just weird. The racial lines are not just at Austin. There appears to be larger less affluent population near major thoroughfaires such as Austin, Madison and Roosevelt (not so much at division and chicago until you get further east and more apartments, less single family).

I met with the Oak Park Housing Authority and they only showed me stuff east of ridgeland (even though my girlfriend looks like straight up mayan mexican). I ended up going on craigs list to find a place and ended up being cherry picked by the buildings property manager to live in the building the owner lives in. I love the area and having the library a block away is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago