Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM

440 posts, read 1,501,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
No, not yanking your chain. Though the Housing Center was done away with by the new administration that was elected in '09, it was operating for awhile. Its primary mission was to educate landlords on how to improve the marketability and security of their buildings, as well as to market the city's rental housing stock to higher income tenants to raise overall rental rates. The mission, despite the best efforts of fear mongers to lead people to believe otherwise, was not to relocate public housing residents to the surburbs.
What does marketing Berwyn to yuppies have to do with integrating Berwyn?

I don't know if you are naive or being disingenuous, but lets take one last look at the map, shall we?

See the bright yellow patches with interspersed red on the lower west side right smack next to the bright blue? See how easily you can identify the BNSF tracks, Cicero Avenue, and Roosevelt Road? See how the yellow transitions to red as you move southwest from Cicero Avenue along the BNSF? See the tiny patch of blue to the west? That's east La Grange. See any other blue in that direction, all the way to western Du Page county? Didn't think so.

I don't know how anyone could look at that map and not come to the conclusion that the wall of yellow is keeping the blue dots out of your neck of the woods. Are you now going to tell me this is just some cosmic coincidence, a monumental fluke of nature?

I admit it is not a pretty picture, and perhaps one that you would prefer the world did not see. But it is nonetheless fact.

And just so you know, it IS possible to like Berwyn, Cicero, AND Little Village despite this obvious hangup. I know it because I happen to be a fan of all three.

I'm just glad I don't live in Berwyn, because I'd probably be 20 pounds heavier if Vasecky's was near me. Their kolacky are addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Thank God for the wall of yellow. In Oak Park we don't have that luxury, hence the Housing Authority to keep the yuppies safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago