Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 151,429 times

Advertisements

My family and I are flying from Edmonton to the Dominican on Jan 1st and we have a lay over from around 1:00 pm until the next morning. So we are renting a car and would like to see some of what Chicago has to offer. It would be nice to see a Blackhawks game but being Jan 1st I don't think they will be playing.

Any advice on what we could do or see ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,781,755 times
What you describe sounds like you'd want to spend it in downtown, so you really don't need to rent a car and I'd say it would be a waste of money to do so because the typical tourist stuff is kind of near each other, and with the price of parking and the fact you'd never drive it after parking it once - it's pretty pointless. The city is one of the most walkable in America and served by good public transit (not to mention it's serviced by thousands of cabs). I would recommend either taking a train (Blue Line, which runs from O'hare which runs 24/7, or the Orange Line which runs from Midway (which I doubt you're flying into)) into the downtown area or taking a cab there.

On stuff to see - I guess that depends on what your personalities are. There is always the obligatory stuff like Millennium Park which is near the lake. I'd recommend for a great view to go to the 95th floor Lounge at the John Hancock tower (the southern views are the best, though the ones looking north are not bad either). You are correct about the Hawks - they don't play on Jan 1.

I assume you'll be staying overnight?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 AM

80 posts, read 129,901 times
+1

I would recommend against a car as well. It will be an inconvenience. If you need to drive, hail a cab.

Just take the CTA into Loop or the Magnificent Mile, hit up shopping, museums, restaurants, whatever your family likes to do. Just go for a walk and see what's up. Get a nice hotel room with the money saved from renting a car and enjoy the stay. Maybe there will be some theater or concerts you'd enjoy.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM

51 posts, read 151,429 times
THanks. Good idea about not getting the car. Yes we are staying at a hotel close to the airport since our flight out is at 8:00am.

I think it's a good idea to take a cab or CTA to a good area and go from there.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,781,755 times
Do you know how far the hotel is from a blue line stop? Blue Line is pretty easy. Get on and ride towards downtown. It'll take you about 40 minutes on it to get to The Loop (Central Business District) which is where Millennium Park is located. Maybe 45 to the closest stop to Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,998,543 times
Cab should be fine -- unless you have too many people to get in a standard sedan I would agree that there is no reason to get a rental. Jan 1 2014 is a Wednesday so that will not be ideal to explore any sports -- no Chicago games scheduled for Blackhawks or even minor league Wolves. Might be best to stick to tourist type locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: