Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM

73 posts, read 288,868 times

Advertisements

First off is this new that they are calling Wacker/lake Shore Drive area the new east side?

Also, would you have any desire to live there? Aside from maybe being a close commute to your job in the loop I really don't see the area offering much. Youd on't have any really cool restaurants and shops, its all hotels and businesses for the most part.

For the money I'd much rather live in River North or any other area in the city for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
First off is this new that they are calling Wacker/lake Shore Drive area the new east side?...
They have been using the term for several years already... I think at least 10.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
No it's pretty sterile and commercial, plus I'm only downtown (not even in the loop, but north of the river) once a week. Even if I worked downtown 5 days a week, I wouldn't want to live there and would choose River North/OldTown/West Loop/South Loop if I wanted some areas that are feasible to walk to work type with decent neighborhood feel. The loop residences and very close proximity to it if you ask me are pretty boring. Unless your life consists of eating at Morton's and going to House of Blues and 10 pin bowling regularly. I'd rather live in a place with a little character.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
It has some upside. Crossing Randolph is pretty peaceful east of Michigan (in the sense that there aren't many cars) and once you do that you have endless beautiful public space. Great kids park also tucked in the corner on far east randolph, easy access to River East life, obviously lake. I like the area. There are places I would choose first, but I like it.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 AM

73 posts, read 288,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No it's pretty sterile and commercial, plus I'm only downtown (not even in the loop, but north of the river) once a week. Even if I worked downtown 5 days a week, I wouldn't want to live there and would choose River North/OldTown/West Loop/South Loop if I wanted some areas that are feasible to walk to work type with decent neighborhood feel. The loop residences and very close proximity to it if you ask me are pretty boring. Unless your life consists of eating at Morton's and going to House of Blues and 10 pin bowling regularly. I'd rather live in a place with a little character.
I couldn't find the word but you put it well, commercial and sterile. I know there's some parks and things over there but the area just doesn't have much character in my opinion either.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 AM

157 posts, read 363,318 times
I live in "the new est side".

It is fantastic and most of the residents in my building would agree with me 100%. Not to mention, The Park at lakeshore east will have a finished Roundies grocery store (think trader joes) within the park as well as other stores in there and a BREWERY right at my front door. We also have a dog park, kids park, and the entire park is wi-fi and beautifully landscaped.

As far as River North, etc, it takes me about 3 minutes to cross from my apt over the Columbus bridge and I am there. I go out over there quite a bit and still find my place a perfect location to live and have access to ALL parts of the city. To the north stores, bars etc. To the south Grant/Mill park and all of the restaurants shopping in the loop.

Don't let others that do not live here sway you from checking it out.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
I totally understand the draw to the area, and could be persuaded to live there. But I also kind of prefer areas with a mix of old and new buildings and the "New Eastside" is, as the name implies, all pretty new. Even the "older" buildings aren't all that old and were quite modern-looking when they were built, so they still don't really look very old.

And while there is some retail there, there's not that much and what is there is terribly expensive. It's no closer to Michigan Ave than River North is, either (and, btw, the area across Columbus from the New Eastside is NOT River North. It's River East and Streeterville. River North isn't east of State by most measures, and is never east of Michigan in any measure).

It has nice unique qualities - close to the lake, Grant Park, the River and the Loop all at once - but I think I'd be more interested in living there in 20 years when it's completely built out and has more retail going on than it used to. I also would be MUCH more interested in living there if the Central Area subway extending from the West Loop under Monroe, then turning north under that area to the area around the Hancock had been built.

So, basically, it's a nice area that's still a little young and so lacks somewhat in character. Many people don't care too much for character, which I get and is fine, but I would miss living someplace with visible history and character if I lived in the New Eastside.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I totally understand the draw to the area, and could be persuaded to live there. But I also kind of prefer areas with a mix of old and new buildings and the "New Eastside" is, as the name implies, all pretty new. Even the "older" buildings aren't all that old and were quite modern-looking when they were built, so they still don't really look very old.

And while there is some retail there, there's not that much and what is there is terribly expensive. It's no closer to Michigan Ave than River North is, either (and, btw, the area across Columbus from the New Eastside is NOT River North. It's River East and Streeterville. River North isn't east of State by most measures, and is never east of Michigan in any measure).

It has nice unique qualities - close to the lake, Grant Park, the River and the Loop all at once - but I think I'd be more interested in living there in 20 years when it's completely built out and has more retail going on than it used to. I also would be MUCH more interested in living there if the Central Area subway extending from the West Loop under Monroe, then turning north under that area to the area around the Hancock had been built.

So, basically, it's a nice area that's still a little young and so lacks somewhat in character. Many people don't care too much for character, which I get and is fine, but I would miss living someplace with visible history and character if I lived in the New Eastside.
Yes you are definitely correct. A lot of the properties there people bought them as investments and rent them out. The area could definitely be better in 20 years. For a renter though, it just isn't there yet especially for the price. The South Loop is better and even it still has a ways to go.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM

157 posts, read 363,318 times
The south loop may be cheaper rent wise, I have TONS of friends that live there for that reason, but they are far from any real night life/restaurants (with the exception of one of my faves, Hackneys). They have a few, but they are waaaay farther away from being integrated into the main draws of the city. The DO have a target, but that is only because the loop wouldn't allow a discount store to be built, abut ALAS, we are finally gonna get our own here in the loop not far from me! YAY.

BTW I do not like Michigan Ave. It is like a free for all! I will keep shopping on state and keep my local crazies over crazy tourists that are drawn to MA.

Oh, and hailing a cab in south loop after dark is damn near impossible. Where as there's always a line of cabs waiting outside my building. Honestly though, if these things in s loop improve, I will for sure re-evaluate and think of heading south, but for now, my location is ideal. Most of my s loop friends end up meeting up at my place when heading out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes you are definitely correct. A lot of the properties there people bought them as investments and rent them out. The area could definitely be better in 20 years. For a renter though, it just isn't there yet especially for the price. The South Loop is better and even it still has a ways to go.

Last edited by dontcallmeshirley; 10-13-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
First off is this new that they are calling Wacker/lake Shore Drive area the new east side?

Also, would you have any desire to live there? Aside from maybe being a close commute to your job in the loop I really don't see the area offering much. Youd on't have any really cool restaurants and shops, its all hotels and businesses for the most part.

For the money I'd much rather live in River North or any other area in the city for that matter.
Isn't this just a stupid term the realty groups slapped on that area? They always try to pull off this crap everywhere, naming apartments/houses/condos/etc. for sale under names that don't appropriately reflect the actual neighborhood name. A great example would say be something like slapping a 'West Bucktown' or 'West Wicker Park' name on a residential building west of Western Ave., or slapping the Logan Square neighborhood name on a building that's actually in Humboldt Park.

Enough continuing with this post, y'all understand my point by now. And after reading some above posts, maybe that 'New East Side' name isn't as weird as I first thought. I still don't like how darn similar it sounds to 'East Side', which is an actual neighborhood on the southeast side of Chicago, and north of Hegewisch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago