Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 37,898 times

Advertisements

...how do longtime bronzveville residents feel about changes in the neighborhood? Do they view it as positive? How do they feel about whites moving in? Does anyone really care about that sort of thing?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
There seems to be some not-too-subtle misgivings about whites moving into Bronzeville, and more so than the usual grumblings about gentrification. This is because of the historic value of the neighborhood as the center of vibrant black culture and social life. Bronzeville was black long before white flight/black settlement swept through most of the South side. During the jazz age, it was Chicago's Harlem -- in essence, the black equivalent to what Pilsen is to the Mexican community today. There are people who are anxious to resurrect and maintain its roots as a black cultural and social destination/neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 AM

thanks for your answer

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Bronzeville Views

It can be inaccurate to make generalizations about Bronzeville because the area is not monolithic. There are long-time homeowners, rehabbers and renters. Its the renters who love community improvement but don't want rental rates to rise or for condo conversions to occur. My opinion is that they are unrealistic and are freeloading, in a sense. Renters really have no basis to demand that they can continue to live in an area or that they can continue to pay rent at a certain level as conditions improve.

The longtime homeowners like the gentrification but not all that it brings: that is things like more aggressive city inspections of rotting porches, leaning garages and the like. Things they took for granted, like parking a car in a vacant lot, are no longer available. But they are very happy that all the ships are rising with the tide of home value appreciation.

The rehabbers are the ones who are really gentrifying the area and a suprising number of them are black with a significant white minority. They sometimes have real cultural differences with the more long term residents and the renters.

My opinion is that misgivings and grumblings are more on an income basis than based on race. There have always been some whites living in Bronzeville -- even if only in mixed race marriages. One sign not to be overlooked: The new alderman in Bronzeville is a relative newcomer who rehabbed a townhouse on King Drive.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM

thank you for the comments, we are looking at buying a condo in Bronzeville

Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
It can be inaccurate to make generalizations about Bronzeville because the area is not monolithic.
Uh, if it were monolithic, generalizations about it wouldn't be necessary, now would they? Generalizations are just that. They are not intended to imply that everyone does the same, thinks the same, believes the same, looks the same, etc., but to give a GENERAL sense of what's going on there...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 10,867 times
My daughter is moving to Chicago to student teach. She is considering living in NE Bronzeville....Prairie Shores apts...I'm a nervous wreck since I don't know the area...she will have a car to commute but what can anyone tell us about this area...safety, parks, restaurants, etc. Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,797 times
i'm interested in renting an apartment in bronzeville,i'm looking for a very nice one bedroom apartment and I could really use some help.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoridge View Post
My daughter is moving to Chicago to student teach. She is considering living in NE Bronzeville....Prairie Shores apts...I'm a nervous wreck since I don't know the area...she will have a car to commute but what can anyone tell us about this area...safety, parks, restaurants, etc. Thanks
The Prarie Shores aren't the nicest apartments in the world but they're ok. The buildings are between 26th and 31st and King Drive. They are located about 1/4 mile west of Lake Shore Drive. I believe there is a beach on 31st. There is also a Jewel grocery store within walking distance or a 3 minute drive depending on what building you're in. There are bus stops on King Drive and the Green Line stops at 35th and State.

There is a good bit of security patrolling the area and downtown is only a couple of miles to the north. I had a girlfriend that used to live in Prairie Shores. She never complained about safety. As long as your daughter doesn't wander off into some of the more sketchy areas of Bronzeville to the southwest she should be ok.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times
Where are white people into Bronzeville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: