Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times

Advertisements

The SW side of Chicago near Midway is not really what the OP is probably intending by living in the city. The OP and his wife probably want downtown, near west side, near NW side, North Side. Just a guess. Nothing against the SW side as I do like it, but at that point, why not just live in a suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The SW side of Chicago near Midway is not really what the OP is probably intending by living in the city. The OP and his wife probably want downtown, near west side, near NW side, North Side. Just a guess. Nothing against the SW side as I do like it, but at that point, why not just live in a suburb?
Well I think the attitude of "If you consider the SW side why not just live in a suburb?" is one of the major problems people have in their attitudes in deciding where they want to live. You hear lots of people saying how they prefer to stay in the city but are drawn to the suburbs for one reason or another and the latter being given the status quo popular response whereas vast swaths of the city of Chicago's outer neighborhoods are completely overlooked by newcomers who know next to nothing about them.

The OP said that his wife wants to live in Chicago. Now one can make an assumption that she meant somewhere near downtown or one of the popular northside areas for newcomers. The husband seems to slightly prefer the suburbs. Well to me the southwest side is a perfect compromise solution between those two options. Its close enough to the city to give relatively easy access to downtown, is walkable and fairly urban, something most people who prefer city living are looking for. At the same time though it is "suburban" enough that those wanting most of the things traditionally associated with suburban living (single family house with yard, affordable, and decent schools).

I find it very odd that people always try to give some catch 22 argument against the areas around Midway. When I tout the single family housing nature of the area people love to talk about the noise of the planes from Midway Airport, the fact that the houses are supposedly "old and too small for modern families" and when I tout the more urban aspects of the area people then start saying that its "too suburban" and you might as well live in an actual suburb. So Garfield Ridge is too urban when it suits your argument and its also too suburban when it suits your argument, very odd.

When the suburbs are brought up they are presented as the greatest thing since sliced bread and any arguments I make against them are unreasonable and false. Naperville is unmistakably further from downtown Chicago than Garfield Ridge is and yet people love talking about how close Naperville supposedly is to downtown Chicago and yet when Garfield Ridge is brought up people love to point out how "far" it is from downtown. So which is it? Are the huge areas between downtown Chicago plus the "hip" neighborhoods and the popular suburbs just vacuums that don't exist?

Last edited by chicago103; 10-21-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
You are posting this in the city subforum so you should expect people like myself to strongly push for you to live in the city...I will be willing to elaborate more if you would like but if you can try talking to a city of Chicago native and not people who have only lived in the city a few years...
There is absolutely very little advantage on living on the southwest side if the guy is going to be working in Naperville. Are you the "allen2323" of Garfield Ridge?

So, OP, here I am, a city-native born and raised-that Naperville is the better choice since you are working in Naperville.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There is absolutely very little advantage on living on the southwest side if the guy is going to be working in Naperville. Are you the "allen2323" of Garfield Ridge?

So, OP, here I am, a city-native born and raised-that Naperville is the better choice since you are working in Naperville.
I have no idea who this "allen2323" is but what's wrong with promoting your neighborhood. If I to dared criticize a Naperville resident for over-promoting their community I would probably be crucified. When you post on the Chicago forum as opposed to the suburban forum one should expect somebody on here to promote the city, it's common sense.

Well need I remind you again that his wife said she wanted to live in the city. Also he did allude to that he wanted to know more affordable options to living in Naperville itself, in which case Garfield Ridge would be an alternative for that. The fact that he is even considering living in the city means he is open to a somewhat longer commute. So let's see he mentioned access to the city. access to Naperville and affordability, and the southwest side fits all three.

I am just pointed out an alternative to him, what's wrong with that? At the end of the day it's a decision he will make with his family.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I have no idea who this "allen2323" is but what's wrong with promoting your neighborhood. If I to dared criticize a Naperville resident for over-promoting their community I would probably be crucified. When you post on the Chicago forum as opposed to the suburban forum one should expect somebody on here to promote the city, it's common sense.

Well need I remind you again that his wife said she wanted to live in the city. Also he did allude to that he wanted to know more affordable options to living in Naperville itself, in which case Garfield Ridge would be an alternative for that. The fact that he is even considering living in the city means he is open to a somewhat longer commute. So let's see he mentioned access to the city. access to Naperville and affordability, and the southwest side fits all three.

I am just pointed out an alternative to him, what's wrong with that? At the end of the day it's a decision he will make with his family.
His 2nd post stated he thought living in or around Naperville made better sense and asked for advice on "more affordable" burbs close to Naperville. Instead, you try to steer him to a city neighborhood that has no connection to the Metra. The closest stop to the BNSF to Naperville is in Cicero or Berwyn. Very smart indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I like the idea of living in Naperville and just going to the city when we want. We have a son, and would need good schools. If we were in the city, we might have send him to a private school.

Does anyone know where I can find information on property taxes and the like? Does anyone have any suggestions on neighboring suburbs to Naperville that might be more affordable?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:03 PM

The OP was hoping to take the Metra from Union station to Naperville. If they chose Garfield Ridge or Clearing, he would have to commute to Union Station and then back out to Naperville on the train.

The drive from Garfield Ridge is no picnic, particularly in the evening. There are two ways to go. The first way is the Stevenson up to 355 then over to 88. Reverse that for the evening and it's a horrible commute.

The second way is 55th Street the whole way, which is also horrible due to all the lights.

Garfield Ridge is great for commuting to the near west suburbs, but not to Naperville.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM

I find it very odd that people always try to give some catch 22 argument against the areas around Midway. When I tout the single family housing nature of the area people love to talk about the noise of the planes from Midway Airport, the fact that the houses are supposedly "old and too small for modern families" and when I tout the more urban aspects of the area people then start saying that its "too suburban" and you might as well live in an actual suburb. So Garfield Ridge is too urban when it suits your argument and its also too suburban when it suits your argument, very odd.

When the suburbs are brought up they are presented as the greatest thing since sliced bread and any arguments I make against them are unreasonable and false. Naperville is unmistakably further from downtown Chicago than Garfield Ridge is and yet people love talking about how close Naperville supposedly is to downtown Chicago and yet when Garfield Ridge is brought up people love to point out how "far" it is from downtown. So which is it? Are the huge areas between downtown Chicago plus the "hip" neighborhoods and the popular suburbs just vacuums that don't exist?[/quote]

I think it depends on what the person wants. Geographically, Garfield Ridge is far closer to downtown than Naperville.

People who want to live in the west suburbs may choose Naperville because it is closer to downtown than say Kane County or other parts of DuPage.

Garfield Ridge is far from downtown if the person wants to live on the Near North Side or Near NW Side.

It is all relative to the geographic area where one wants to live.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Actually Avengfire brought up a very good point that I forgot to mention. There is a BNSF stop on Harlem Avenue around 31st Street in Berwyn, that's only three miles north of Garfield Ridge.

This is all assuming of course that it is even possible to get to his work from the Naperville Metra stop because that city hardly builds employment centers near mass transit in the first place.

Also again this is the city forum so I am going to promote city neighborhoods. I would also recommend to him the Near West Side near UIC which would give easy access to either Union Station or the Eisenhower Expressway both of which go to Naperville.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I think it depends on what the person wants. Geographically, Garfield Ridge is far closer to downtown than Naperville.

People who want to live in the west suburbs may choose Naperville because it is closer to downtown than say Kane County or other parts of DuPage.

Garfield Ridge is far from downtown if the person wants to live on the Near North Side or Near NW Side.

It is all relative to the geographic area where one wants to live.
Sure I agree with you and since he mentioned both the city and Naperville as options he is open to I think it makes sense to mention Garfield Ridge.

Now if someone said they had their heard set on living right downtown or near it I wouldn't bring it up and I am also a big promoter of downtown living. On the other extreme someone dead set on living in DuPage County probably shouldn't be posting in the city forum.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
The train schedule is better for living in Naperville and working in Chicago, though it is workable for the reverse. There is also more nightlife in Naperville than most suburbs, if that is a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago