U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-04-2011, 09:32 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,981,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
won't work in chicago because of hte following:
1)too many homeless in chicago
2)public hygiene of people in general is pretty bad
3)the awareness/care for public property or shared property is very low in chicago
This would be perfect for the working homeless who are trying to save enough money to get an apartment of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-05-2011, 10:08 AM

44 posts, read 72,473 times
I think a perfect location for a Capsule Hotel would be at McCormick Place

Unread 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,408,664 times
Looks like a place for lunatics
kind of like a modern day straight jacket

or better yet a dextox capsule!

Unread 06-06-2011, 02:00 AM

278 posts, read 267,539 times
Capsule hotels are awesome. I stayed in a capsule hostel in Tokyo. It was around $29 per night in a really cool traditional style neighborhood called Asakusa.

I don't know why they haven't caught on elsewhere, but they're a great idea. I loved it. It's perfect for trips where you know you're going to be out and about exploring a city and soaking everything up. I don't go on an adventure to a new place to sit in my hotel room watching TV. But even if you want to relax and watch TV or something, the hostels have a nice communal area with TVs and computers. Hostels AND capsule hotels, or the awesome combination I experienced, should be brought to the USA and become widespread. It would certainly be popular with younger travelers and road trippers who want to explore the United States and not spend the majority of their money and a stupid hotel room.

Unread 06-06-2011, 06:20 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Capsule hotels are awesome. I stayed in a capsule hostel in Tokyo. It was around $29 per night in a really cool traditional style neighborhood called Asakusa.

I don't know why they haven't caught on elsewhere, but they're a great idea. I loved it. It's perfect for trips where you know you're going to be out and about exploring a city and soaking everything up. I don't go on an adventure to a new place to sit in my hotel room watching TV. But even if you want to relax and watch TV or something, the hostels have a nice communal area with TVs and computers. Hostels AND capsule hotels, or the awesome combination I experienced, should be brought to the USA and become widespread. It would certainly be popular with younger travelers and road trippers who want to explore the United States and not spend the majority of their money and a stupid hotel room.
The concept is cool- I can see where this would be an awesome idea
in the bigger metros and tourist areas

Unread 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM

951 posts, read 755,649 times
I just needed to giggle tonite, so I am bumping this thread so others can enjoy it too.

Unread 01-27-2012, 12:42 AM

1,194 posts, read 733,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I'd like to see a motel room that is just slightly bigger than a twin bed. It would have just enough room to get in and out of bed and to dress. Total size would probably be no bigger than 4'x7' with 7' ceilings and would have shared bathrooms. The beds could have space to store a suitcase or two with a coat hook at the foot of the bed.

No amenities whatsoever. It would just be a place to sleep and shower.

These rooms could probably rent for no more than $25 or so in most cities.
You are overestimating the importance of real estate to the hotel price and underestimating the cost of labor. The rooms you are describing would not go for much less than the $60 or so that a cheap hotel costs now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago