U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM

343 posts, read 634,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
But if he's going to be out of town on business for weeks at a time frequently, the street sweeping tickets alone make offstreet worth the cost.
Yeah, I agree. Get a garaged space if you can. My suggestion was if he still opts to put it on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,353 times
Ya thats the issue with the tickets. For example I'm going to be spending some time in Washington for 4 weeks in January. I found a couple of open non covered lots for $150-195 and I need the car regardless as our office is out in the burbs but I won't be out there frequently. My job also entails occasional driving travel around the metro area to areas that aren't easily accessible via mass transit. I don't mind paying... its actually taken into account in my budget. What about off street parking with a car cover for those long trips? Will people jack my car cover or mess with it? It sounds like the area is nice but I mean people will do dumb things...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM

And Jzer where do you find garage parking? I've been looking online and had no luck. My one trip since taking the job to apartment hunt in chicago was just for that... apartment hunting... I ran out of time and have neglected looking for a parking area.... figured you could figure some of this out online but it seems harder than what I had expected...

Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,082,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdronex View Post
And Jzer where do you find garage parking? I've been looking online and had no luck. My one trip since taking the job to apartment hunt in chicago was just for that... apartment hunting... I ran out of time and have neglected looking for a parking area.... figured you could figure some of this out online but it seems harder than what I had expected...
Take a look at craigslist, some people put up their garage spots for rent. In addition, you may see signs for garage spots just by walking around the area outside your apt. You can also look at streetview to see if there are garages on the arterial streets nearby.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,589,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdronex View Post
Like Jdiddy said look at craigslist for some options. Also there is a lot at Hampden and Diversy which is probably a 10-15 minute walk from you. It's not covered but you can go month to month there, where as some garages want a 3-6+ month commitment either way. You could probably throw your car in there at will when you go out of town for $200/mo.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 AM

2,087 posts, read 3,678,926 times
Your life will be so much easier if you get rid of your car. Your situation is exactly why zipcar exists.

Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM

I got a garaged spot for $195 off craigslist. Was able to talk him down a bit just a few blocks from where I'm supposed to be. Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago