Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wonder how many white people profit tremendously from the sale of illegal drugs? I also find myself wondering how many get paid to turn a blind eye to the massive drug importing business?
Clearly a lot.

But prohibition II will not end until the communities directly impacted actually demand the laws be changed.

Right now what I usually see are black ministers demanding *tougher* laws/penalties - they are missing the forest for the trees.

This is a great book for more history:

http://www.flashpointmag.com/cpvalent.htm

How many Chicagoans do you think know diddly about the Opium Wars? There's definitely a racial aspect, but money still is what talks. The biggest supporters of the War on Drugs are in the alcohol industry.

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 02-24-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,841,218 times
My brother adopted a lovely girl yesterday. They flew down to Tampa this week to pick her up.

They will raise her in Laporte. This is the first grandchild on both sides so fully expect this girl to be well taken care of.

I hope she is not treated any different because of her race and that she can be exposed to both white and black cultures (she is black).

It will be interesting as my sister in law had to solicit help from her sister who teaches in low income minority part of Louisville KY to find black women who could help with hair care for their new child. They literally have no black friends or co-workers and just adopted a black girl.

I am sure they will learn a lot in a short period of time.

So, how do people view someone such as my niece?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,816 times
There is a certain type of place where an adopted child of a different race would range from unnoticed to at most be mild curiosity. There are other places where the range of responses would span from lots of goofy stares to aggressive or even belligerent comments. I think you can imagine which type of place, OVERALL (not every single person), would fit in which group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
My brother adopted a lovely girl yesterday. They flew down to Tampa this week to pick her up.

They will raise her in Laporte. This is the first grandchild on both sides so fully expect this girl to be well taken care of.

I hope she is not treated any different because of her race and that she can be exposed to both white and black cultures (she is black).

It will be interesting as my sister in law had to solicit help from her sister who teaches in low income minority part of Louisville KY to find black women who could help with hair care for their new child. They literally have no black friends or co-workers and just adopted a black girl.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 50,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
Ethnic invasion lol. Are you a cop? If so cops like you only make complications for dirty ethnic criminals like myself. Oh how I love the fact that my old man lives in "the most affluent area of the Midwest" and constantly get pulled over in my own neighborhood, got a gun pulled on my little brother and I after accidentally breaking my window with a football got tossed to the ground with a gun shoved in the back of my head after I was thought to be stealing my own car which was apparently too nice for me to be driving. Let's not forget some "bro" I'm wrigleyville starting a fight with me I defend myself and the cop takes me out and arrests me. Yeah. Can't wait til the baby boomers like yourself are all retired and out of positions of power...better yet dead.
actually now i am a retired cop....at age 49, now 51.....
so i do know what i'm talking about, we both have opinions.....

wrong , right or indifferent

Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

Adults will hopefully be extra attentive and will bend over backwards to tell their kids to be respectful of that fact. I grew up with some adopted kids like this, and they definitely had some identity issues/struggles, but with caring parents everything turns out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago