Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 AM

10 posts, read 21,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Haven't seen hide nor hair of this in any news outlet.
Yep. It went under-reported.
Man killed in car in Hegewisch - Chicago Breaking News

Rumor mill has it that the the girl mentioned in Andrew61's link- the one gunned down a couple miles up the road- was the same girl sitting in the car when the guy was whacked by Mann Park which, if true, obviously has pretty glaring implications of its own, but I didn't hear this from an 'impeccable source', so who knows... Might be BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
I would venture to say over half the people if not more could not even tell you they heard of Hegewisch= you can only imagine that at one point in time when Chicago made things and Industry was king on the South-- Side pockets of neighborhoods were everywhere-

Certainly would be fun to go back if a time capsule existed and visit these now decaying places- one can only wish with time things will change and the enclaves will prosper again.

Sure it was mentioned before but this neighborhood probably at one time was a village on its own until the then mighty Chicago swallowed it up along with numerous other close by villages to the city

Probably most SouthSiders know Hegewisch but few from the North Side

Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I would venture to say over half the people if not more could not even tell you they heard of Hegewisch= you can only imagine that at one point in time when Chicago made things and Industry was king on the South-- Side pockets of neighborhoods were everywhere-

Certainly would be fun to go back if a time capsule existed and visit these now decaying places- one can only wish with time things will change and the enclaves will prosper again.

Sure it was mentioned before but this neighborhood probably at one time was a village on its own until the then mighty Chicago swallowed it up along with numerous other close by villages to the city

Probably most SouthSiders know Hegewisch but few from the North Side
I'm not even sure most southsiders have heard of Hegewisch. It really is quite an island. And Hegewisch is still a throwback to "when Chicago made things and Industry was king on the South-- Side pockets of neighborhoods were everywhere." Or at least, I think -- I can't quite decipher exactly what this means.

But at any rate, there's still a big-ass Ford plant down there, which I believe is the oldest operating car assembly plant in North America, presently churning out the world's supply of Ford Explorers. And because there's a Ford plant there, there are also a bunch of suppliers who have set up shop down there. So whatever else is allegedly dragging Hegewisch down, the traditional "working-class jobs are gone" trope isn't among them.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranW View Post
Yep. It went under-reported.
Man killed in car in Hegewisch - Chicago Breaking News

Rumor mill has it that the the girl mentioned in Andrew61's link- the one gunned down a couple miles up the road- was the same girl sitting in the car when the guy was whacked by Mann Park which, if true, obviously has pretty glaring implications of its own, but I didn't hear this from an 'impeccable source', so who knows... Might be BS.
So then what makes you so certain it was a gang assassination and not a lover's quarrel?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not even sure most southsiders have heard of Hegewisch. It really is quite an island. And Hegewisch is still a throwback to "when Chicago made things and Industry was king on the South-- Side pockets of neighborhoods were everywhere." Or at least, I think -- I can't quite decipher exactly what this means.

But at any rate, there's still a big-ass Ford plant down there, which I believe is the oldest operating car assembly plant in North America, presently churning out the world's supply of Ford Explorers. And because there's a Ford plant there, there are also a bunch of suppliers who have set up shop down there. So whatever else is allegedly dragging Hegewisch down, the traditional "working-class jobs are gone" trope isn't among them.
All so true and I am very very happy that Ford plant is still turning out automobiles.!

I am referring to just enclaves of a business area with a grocery store tavern a sense of community just a neighborhood and all the things that make a neighborhood tick. Like Beverley

Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
All so true and I am very very happy that Ford plant is still turning out automobiles.!

I am referring to just enclaves of a business area with a grocery store tavern a sense of community just a neighborhood and all the things that make a neighborhood tick. Like Beverley
Yes we do need more safe affordable walkable enclaves like you just described in your post like with taverns, mom and pop stores, and restaurants etc. along with access to mass transit. Well said. Unfortunately those places are becoming rarer and rarer thanks to big box stores ,chain restaurants in tasteless strip malls and shopping centers. The main business districts in the enclaves become more and more abandoned with empty boarded up store fronts- all in the name of big business.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM

10 posts, read 21,827 times
Quote:
So then what makes you so certain it was a gang assassination and not a lover's quarrel?
How many "lovers quarrels" do you know that involve carloads of gang-bangers opening fire?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
I live in Hammond and catch the South Shore to work, and when I first started my job in the loop back in 2005 I didn't even realize Hegewisch was part of the city, I assumed it was part of Lansing/Calumet.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I live in Hammond and catch the South Shore to work, and when I first started my job in the loop back in 2005 I didn't even realize Hegewisch was part of the city, I assumed it was part of Lansing/Calumet.
I can see how you would think that, I have been to the south shore station threre and it is right next to cal city and hammond- isnt hammond the next stop after

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I can see how you would think that, I have been to the south shore station threre and it is right next to cal city and hammond- isnt hammond the next stop after
Hegewisch and Hammond border each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago