Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 31,208 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum community. I have recently graduated In Buffalo, NY and have accepted a job in West Chicago. I will be making 66k a year, and am looking to enjoy the City while not having too brutal of a commute ( Less than 45 mins). I am thinking Oak Park since it is a short subway away from downtown, and from what I hear, a beautiful suburb. Is there any areas of oak park I should stay away from? Is OP a much older crowd? Is there any better suggestions? Also, where are the best places for nightlife in Chicago? Being from Buffalo, all that there really is to do is enjoy the bars... Also, how are the people. Is it easy to meet new people, or do most people just keep to them selves. Also, will life be tight on my salary or can i expect a pretty decent standard of living??? I know i have a lot of questions but im just trying to gt a better grasp on what Chicago's all about, and what would be the best for my situation. Thanks in advance for the help, and I am extremely excited to call myself a chicagoian ( Minus the BlackHawks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM

622 posts, read 1,190,797 times
OP is def not the preferred place for young singles. it's very nice but tell us a little more so we can give you better advice.

looking for a house vs apt or condo?
do you work downtown?
do you want to live in town or prefer the burbs?

i live in the city just north of oak park (dunning) and it's a great place to raise my family. however, if i was single and just moving to chicago, i'd be much more interested in living a lot closer to downtown. bucktown, lincoln park, hyde park, lincoln square, etc. would be where i was looking. perhaps even wrigleyville if i didn't hate the frat boy culture so much.

they all have easy access to downtown as well via the EL.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM

537 posts, read 1,029,009 times
You're from Buffalo and not a Hawks fan? I thought was a requirement because of Kane.

Big question, do you mean a job on the west side of Chicago or West Chicago the suburb that's 30 miles from the city?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Well, In the immediate future, im looking to rent. living in the city would be ideally what i am looking for, but the dillemma is that i will be working in the town of West chicago which is a ways outside of the city. Although i dont mind a commute, it also must be manageable. Is this a possibility, or is it extremely un practical? Where I work is right off of a union pacific west train stop though.The reason i was thinking oak park, is one because of its location, being close to the short commute downtown, 24 hour running blue line, and not an impossible commute to Work. And two, because from what i hear it is a nice tree lined little village. Is my assumption about the convenience of going downtown and also my image of OP right??? Thanks for the reply

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM

lol Tomcho, I have no problem making the blackhawks #2... And yes west chicago thats 30 miles away

Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,018,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
OP is def not the preferred place for young singles. it's very nice but tell us a little more so we can give you better advice.

looking for a house vs apt or condo?
do you work downtown?
do you want to live in town or prefer the burbs?

i live in the city just north of oak park (dunning) and it's a great place to raise my family. however, if i was single and just moving to chicago, i'd be much more interested in living a lot closer to downtown. bucktown, lincoln park, hyde park, lincoln square, etc. would be where i was looking. perhaps even wrigleyville if i didn't hate the frat boy culture so much.

they all have easy access to downtown as well via the EL.
Why not? Like the OP said, Oak Park has easy access to downtown. And there are young singles in Oak Park. There are plenty of young singles who don't have the privilege of living in hip "young single" places and we do just fine.

The OP wants a reasonably short commute to West Chicago, a suburb out in Dupage County. All those places you suggested in the city are pretty far from work. And yet you're suggesting a long commute just so the the OP can live next to where he or she MIGHT want to spend his or her Friday nights?

It seems to me like the OP made a good choice in selecting Oak Park. Maybe nearby Berwyn? I have a soft spot for that town but for someone coming from New York, the former prabobly makes more sense.

Last edited by urza216; 11-05-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM

if you have easy access to the blue line, then yes. it's a great way to get downtown. OP is a pretty cool little village. i'd love to live there but couldn't afford the taxes. i have no idea how bad the commute will be going west though.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Why not? Like the OP said, Oak Park has easy access to downtown. And there are young singles in Oak Park. There are plenty of young singles who don't have the privilege of living in hip "young single" places and we do just fine.

The OP also wants a reasonable to commute to West Chicago, the suburbs. All those places you suggested in the city are pretty far.

It seems to me like the OP made a good choice in selecting Oak Park. Maybe nearby Berwyn? I have a soft spot for that town but for someone coming from New York, the former prabobly makes more sense.

you're right. i didn't realize he was talking about the city of west chicago. OP does look like a good choice.

and i'm sure you're doing just fine and that young singles can function outside of the hip areas. he was looking for opinions regarding the best place to live and i gave mine.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Urza... what are the reasons that you have a soft spot for Berwyn??

Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,018,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs46 View Post
Urza... what are the reasons that you have a soft spot for Berwyn??
Svengolie is from there.. He's an old Chicago television icon who still presents classic horror films Saturday nights on The U. Every now and then, when I have the money and gas, I make the drive out to Berwyn to go to a horror movie memorabilia shop called Horrorbles.

Berwyn has a more blue collar history and a lot of folks in Chicagoland have a family history in the town. Oak Park is more the liberal white middle class who eats tofu and welcomes "diversity", even if whites, Hispanics and Asians combined are always less than 50% of the population. Berwyn is tougher, more real and has more of an edge. And there's plenty of hustle and bustle in Berwyn just like Oak Park or any other near west suburb. It practically feels like the city, but with free parking.

All of the near west suburbs are awesome. Just stay away from Maywood because there's a lot of crime there. Good luck!

Last edited by urza216; 11-05-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago