Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,202,413 times

Advertisements

Okay, guys, I live at 5700 N. Winthrop and might be going to 10900 S. Archer in Lemont for a concert on a Saturday Night in August. (YES, i like bands that play in extremely strange places - Ronny's in Logan Square on July 4 was so interesting, sounded like a war zone, but i love my bands, so i discover new/insane places!) SO, what's the best /least expensive way to go? Take the orange line to Midway and then grab a cab out to Lemont? What about at night? am I going to be cashing in on my entire savings calling a cab to get home when it's late? (Once it gets closer, i may be able to get a friend to come with me and share a cab... my other friend that will probably go lives way out in Naperville, so i wouldn't want to ask him to drive me home.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,066,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Okay, guys, I live at 5700 N. Winthrop and might be going to 10900 S. Archer in Lemont for a concert on a Saturday Night in August. (YES, i like bands that play in extremely strange places - Ronny's in Logan Square on July 4 was so interesting, sounded like a war zone, but i love my bands, so i discover new/insane places!) SO, what's the best /least expensive way to go? Take the orange line to Midway and then grab a cab out to Lemont? What about at night? am I going to be cashing in on my entire savings calling a cab to get home when it's late? (Once it gets closer, i may be able to get a friend to come with me and share a cab... my other friend that will probably go lives way out in Naperville, so i wouldn't want to ask him to drive me home.)
I'm going to guess this would be faster and cheaper than the dreaded orange line to midway/cab combo.

Metra / Heritage Corridor Schedules

Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'm going to guess this would be faster and cheaper than the dreaded orange line to midway/cab combo.

Metra / Heritage Corridor Schedules

sadly, the catch there is it doesn't run on Saturdays, which is the day of the concert. believe me, it was the first thing i looked at. and even if it did, i'd still be stuck taking a cab from the train station to the show, and back home that night.

thanks anyway!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,066,890 times
Quote:
sadly, the catch there is it doesn't run on Saturdays, which is the day of the concert. believe me, it was the first thing i looked at. and even if it did, i'd still be stuck taking a cab from the train station to the show, and back home that night.

thanks anyway!
Ah, too bad. The joys of catching concerts in the burbs eh?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,272 times
Default go to concert

Try using CTA or Pace trip planner. Metra has a site also.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,389,194 times
To reach the concert, use CTA service to get downtown first (Red Line from Bryn Mawr stop), and navigate your way to Union Station which I'm guessing you know how to do (if not, simply take the Red Line down to Jackson, switch to the Blue Line, take it west towards Forest Park / 54th & Cermak, exit at the Clinton stop, then walk a couple blocks north, and Union Station will be on your right side. Then take the Metra BNSF line southwest towards Aurora, but exit at the Clarendon Hills station. From there call up a taxicab company (I find that 303 Taxi service usually doesn't rip people off), they have a website at www.303taxi.com, and their phone # is (847) 303-0303, and yes they do serve the western DuPage County suburbs as well. Alright, the cab ride from Clarendon Hills, south to the concert site at Lemont should be a straight shot down Highway 83 (Kingery Highway), and should take about 11 minutes (7.7 miles) according to my Microsoft Streets & Trips software. This is the best way for you to get from the Edgewater area of Chicago's far north side, all the way down to southwest suburban Lemont on a Saturday without using your own car or renting a car. As far as coming back to Chicago, the last inbound Metra train back to Chicago leaves the Clarendon Hills station oat 11:51 PM. If you miss that train, your best bet is probably to cab it or get a ride to the Orange Line Midway Airport station, and take that up to downtown, and switch back to the northbound Red Line. The concert site to the Orange Line station is about a 21 minute (16.3 mile) ride, which could be an expensive cab ride. It recommends taking the Kingery Highway (Hwy 83) back north, to Highway 55 North, to the 55th St. exit, then a Right on Cicero Ave....a bit confusing, but hopefully the cab driver should know. The Orange Line station is connected to Midway Airport, and most cab drivers in Chicagoland know how to reach that airport. Good luck!!!

Quote:

Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
To reach the concert, use CTA service to get downtown first (Red Line from Bryn Mawr stop), and navigate your way to Union Station which I'm guessing you know how to do (if not, simply take the Red Line down to Jackson, switch to the Blue Line, take it west towards Forest Park / 54th & Cermak, exit at the Clinton stop, then walk a couple blocks north, and Union Station will be on your right side. Then take the Metra BNSF line southwest towards Aurora, but exit at the Clarendon Hills station. From there call up a taxicab company (I find that 303 Taxi service usually doesn't rip people off), they have a website at www.303taxi.com, and their phone # is (847) 303-0303, and yes they do serve the western DuPage County suburbs as well. Alright, the cab ride from Clarendon Hills, south to the concert site at Lemont should be a straight shot down Highway 83 (Kingery Highway), and should take about 11 minutes (7.7 miles) according to my Microsoft Streets & Trips software. This is the best way for you to get from the Edgewater area of Chicago's far north side, all the way down to southwest suburban Lemont on a Saturday without using your own car or renting a car. As far as coming back to Chicago, the last inbound Metra train back to Chicago leaves the Clarendon Hills station oat 11:51 PM. If you miss that train, your best bet is probably to cab it or get a ride to the Orange Line Midway Airport station, and take that up to downtown, and switch back to the northbound Red Line. The concert site to the Orange Line station is about a 21 minute (16.3 mile) ride, which could be an expensive cab ride. It recommends taking the Kingery Highway (Hwy 83) back north, to Highway 55 North, to the 55th St. exit, then a Right on Cicero Ave....a bit confusing, but hopefully the cab driver should know. The Orange Line station is connected to Midway Airport, and most cab drivers in Chicagoland know how to reach that airport. Good luck!!!

oh, wow, thank you so much! i'm going to print this out now, heh.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 AM

oh, just so everyone knows, I tried calling 303 Taxi to give me a ride back, and they said they couldn't pick me up because there wasn't anyone close by.

thankfully my favorite band is completely AWESOME and gave me a ride back into the city.

i guess 303 Taxi is best to use if you call wayyyy in advance.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,770,863 times
So who is it you went to see that it was worth all this trouble?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So who is it you went to see that it was worth all this trouble?

The Lawrence Arms, primarily. i've actually seen them more than anyone probably should. and also a band called Ryan's Hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago