Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 15,052 times

Advertisements

I need to live in the city of Chicago for my job and I wanted to find out about the Mount Greenwood neighborhood. Anyone know anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,527 times
great place to raise a family, top notch school district, wide variety of housing and close to suburban shopping centers. Most people who move in never move out. My aunt built her house there in 1955 and still lives amongst most of her original neighbors.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,876 times
Default I am the official Direct TV, Cable Guy for that hood

God, could you pick a better place to live, No, you cant,

I can find no faults with that neighborhood, except u may find it difficult to find anything for sale, and if u do, it wont be up for sale very long,

The zipcode is 60655, Chicago Illinois, it is Cop Land South, there are so many cops living in this area, its almost weird,

Crime 0
Most people dont even lock their doors to their cars or their houses,

Enviroment for kids, outstanding, Schools outstanding, Parks and Fun outstanding, the best part is near 115th and kedzie, to 115th and pulaski and then travel north as far as 99th

If your a city worker, you almost have to live here, its the cool thing to do, homes in this area twenty years ago, sold for less than 100k, now the average is 250k or higher, there are several new homes for sale selling for 500k,

If your single, I recommend you dont buy a condo, or any of the new townhomes, being built on 111th and california,

I strongly suggest you buy a home on a lot, most are brick bungalows, with one or two additions added to them, every summer, the neighborhood comes alive with contractors doing upgrades

I make a living on this neighborhood alone, I rarely work in any other area in Chicago, then 60655 and I take home 55k a year, as a cable guy

As a child growing up in Marquette Park, which wasnt poor but wasnt rich, I dreamt of living in this neighborhood "I consider this area Heaven the place to be"

I would buy anywhere in this particular grid,
10300 to 11500 S Kedzie and all points west to 10300 to 11500 s Pulaski,
I call that the premium grid, if u buy any thing there, u will almost certainly be pleased with your decision,

Buy anything u can find, even a wreck of a home, Chicago City workers, are considered VIP's at any bank, most banks will lend u money on a handshake with your city ID,

Some streets have alleys, a lot do not, most homes are brick, there very few instances of empty lots, and hardly ever do people wreck the original home and build a new one,

I am so jealous of you right now, I want to scream.....................,

The police population, is huge, but thats not to say there arent any Fire fighters, or sewer people or any city worker, Its a city worker enclave, surronded by surburbs to the south and west, middle class mixed hoods to the north, and one of the most expensive and historic neighborhoods, directly to the east, its called Beverly Hills, zip 60643,

Mt Greenwood, has a huge amount of Bars, clubs, shops, a huge ice rink, a public pool, a huge park called Mt Greenwood of course, The Agro High School is there, a one of a kind farming school, with a huge farm on it, I have several clients who live on St Louis Street, and the park and farm, are there backyard,

Parking is great, tons of kids, tons of Hot Moms, and single chicks as well, no noise, no major traffic problems, within the premium grid, but outside the grid there is a lot of traffic

drop me a private message, and we will exchange emails,
I want to be prepared, when u buy that kick ass HD Tv and u hire me to install, it, odds are I already wired the house,

For Sale signs are a rarity, Big Foot and UFO 's are more common than for sale signs,

Good Luck

Old 08-18-2006, 11:58 AM

28 posts, read 180,105 times
Good place if you have a family. Not so much if you're single.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 27,619 times
I'm a cop. I live here. Is it the promised land? No. We do NOT keep our doors and cars unlocked at night, either. I can say it is the safest neighborhood on the south side.

We have our problems. Beverly to the east gets more city services and is more snooty. It is also MUCH more diverse, if that's what you;re looking for. Not too many "welcome to the neighborhood" apple pies in Mt. Greenwood if your last name doesn't start with Mac or O' .

If you see someone jogging or walking the dog at 3 or 4 am, it's a good chance he or she is armed. THAT, and the high property taxes, are what keep us safe.

Sad, but true.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Old thread but my $.02 is it is probably close to heaven on earth for a blue collar white person, but not so much if you're a minority. The neighborhood is very leery of those who they percieve to be "outsiders," if you know what I'm saying. So I guess it depends on who you are, and your viewpoints on certain things.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Isn't CHAS in Mt. Greenwood? That is, Chicago's Agricultural high school? Let's give those folks a break; that high school has a diverse population but the neighborhood seems to have accepted it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Very nice neighborhood full of young families. The area seems to attract young cops and fire/rescue workers due to the fact that to work in Chicago you must live in Chicago, so this is one of the areas those workers seem to flock to along with Garfield Ridge/Clearing. Anyways, you can't go wrong with Mt. Greenwood. It's very safe (go figure with all the cops living there) and like someone else stated, is close to all the suburban conviences like big Wal Marts and malls.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Mount Greenwood does have a lot of firefighters and cops. Lots and lots of brick homes, but I have to say there's a lot more variety in their build than in other bungalow areas. I suppose there were many phases and also many upgrades/add-ons. Well kept-lawns, tree-lined streets, nice parks, speed bumps and roundabouts prevail.

My impression based on knowing a few families, my dh doing side jobs, and having my kids babysat in this are includes: there are lots of families with children, more stay-at-home moms than typical. Heavy Catholic school/church culture. Many families have been there for a couple generations. Welcoming to like-minded or like-situated new residents. Very family/extended family-oriented.

Traffic's not to bad, St. Xavier University is right there, there's a couple non-Catholic private schools. You're near a lot of big-box development along 95th Street. There's the Agriculture High School at 111th and Pulaski that has community programming including lap swimming and swim lessons that are free to city residents.

Immediate neighboring areas include Bevery (Chicago) Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, and Alsip. And a few cemeteries.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,375 times
Default Mount Greenwood

I do not know how anybody could be so wrong about the neighborhood. I lived there for 27 yrs and couldn't wait to get out of the area. Lets see you do not leave the doors unlocked unless you want your house to be robbed or your car to be stolen. The taxes are way out of sight, you are charged more for insurance because you are in the city zip, you can have parks anywhere that are just as nice or nicer, you have to be ripped every yr on a city sticker. Who cares about a night life seen. The houses are way to close, I don't know about you, but I really don't care to see what my neighbor has for breakfast. Most of the yards are fenced in so you feel confined even in the back yrd. The reason why you have speed humps is because the people do not know what a speed limit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago