Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I dispute this. The eastern part of what became Poland had many Russians and Ukrainians while the north, south and west portions had Germans and Austrians as well as some Slovaks in the south. Poland was colonized heavily by these groups in the 1800's as well as in other various times preceding the 1800's.
No need to dispute what I said; your information seems to be more of an "in addition" rather than a "instead of". It doesn't contradict what I said at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No need to dispute what I said; your information seems to be more of an "in addition" rather than a "instead of". It doesn't contradict what I said at all.
I disagree with the :
Quote:
...Many of these so called German areas were actually more Polish than German by population with a German aristocracy atop a Polish peasantry...
If you were to say "some of" or "a portion of" instead of "many" I would agree. Since you are gleaning info from the book you are reading (I assume), you are only getting that authors opinion or spin.
If you read more on the subject you will see that the author's view is in the minority opinion.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:

If you were to say "some of" or "a portion of" instead of "many" I would agree. Since you are gleaning info from the book you are reading (I assume), you are only getting that authors opinion or spin.
If you read more on the subject you will see that the author's view is in the minority opinion.

Fair enough. I've developed an interest in Polish history, have you some good books to recommend?

I'm also reading a biography of Werner von Braun. He came from one of those Prussian areas with a large Polish population that is Poland now.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I've developed an interest in Polish history, have you some good books to recommend?

I'm also reading a biography of Werner von Braun. He came from one of those Prussian areas with a large Polish population that is Poland now.
1)I have never read any books that deal solely with Polish history. I think it will be something I will get into myself.

2)You mean around Danzig perhaps? Although Danzig itself was overwhelmingly German...

Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
1)

2)You mean around Danzig perhaps?

Probably. The book is upstairs in the bedroom and if I go up to check I'll never get back down, not tonight.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
Any idea of being mid aged and the dating scene?

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,609 times
To piggy back off the original post...I am moving to Chicago and want to live in a safe neighborhood close to downtown. Are Wicker Park and Bucktown safe places to live? Which one is safer, per se?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama8arond View Post
To piggy back off the original post...I am moving to Chicago and want to live in a safe neighborhood close to downtown. Are Wicker Park and Bucktown safe places to live? Which one is safer, per se?
if you read thru this thread, both neighborhoods are part of west town and the two neighborhoods border each other int hat community. there's really no difference in safety, cost, ammenities, and convenience (travel wise) between the two.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,609 times
I read through the thread and didn't see any directly speak about safety or whether it is considered a relatively safe place to live if you don't make yourself a red flag. From what I have read on threads, safety can vary based on if you turn a corner sometimes. Thank you for your response.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Both areas about the same in terms of safety. They are both pretty safe. In Chicago, no place is immune to crime, but these areas are better/safer than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago