U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM

55 posts, read 205,215 times

Advertisements

I know Bucktown and Wicker Park are right next to each other, but what are differences between the two neighborhoods in terms of atmosphere, people, restaurants, nightlife, rent prices, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Virtually nothing. Unless you're familiar with neighborhood boundaries, you can't tell where one stops and the other starts. The nightlife "center of gravity" of that area (the North/Damen/Milwaukee intersection) sits right on the border between the two. To me the primary difference is Wicker Park has more historic/Victorian-type homes.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM

487 posts, read 840,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
I know Bucktown and Wicker Park are right next to each other, but what are differences between the two neighborhoods in terms of atmosphere, people, restaurants, nightlife, rent prices, etc.?
I suppose you could argue that Bucktown - north of North Avenue - is a bit more gentrified and that Wicker Park - south of North Avenue - is a bit more gritty, but still, you can't really tell the difference. In fact, there's virtually no boundary between the neighborhoods. Atmosphere is the same, people wander back and forth, nightlife is split along North Avenue and the rents are the same.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM

96 posts, read 483,049 times
I live in Bucktown, and the previous posters are right, there is really not a huge difference, UNLESS you live closer to North Ave and California, then that part of Bucktown is a little different but still pretty safe. Other than that, when I walk my dog, for about a mile, then I'm into Wicker Park already. I also think that Bucktown housing might be just a little cheaper, not by much though

Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,703,711 times
I agree with everyone who states that there are very little differences between the two, I live very near both and if I didn't know the boundaries, I couldn't tell where one starts and one ends.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 AM

96 posts, read 483,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I agree with everyone who states that there are very little differences between the two, I live very near both and if I didn't know the boundaries, I couldn't tell where one starts and one ends.
where do you live? I'm on Maplewood and North Ave

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM
j33

I'm over by Augusta and Wood

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM

272 posts, read 674,661 times
Intersting to see so much agreement among insiders that the differences are minimal, because as an outsider I have always seen these as pretty distinct neighborhoods. As I understand the "official" boundary to be the railroad tracks at Bloomingdale (rather than North Ave), the intersection of North/Damen/Milwaukee is technically in Wicker Park and I think exemplifies the urban mix that seems to define Wicker Park more than Bucktown. I see Bucktown as a more yuppy, more Lincoln Parkish. When I think of Wicker Park, I think of Milwaukee Avenue's eclectic mix, while Bucktown seems more defined by the comparatively refined Damen Ave. and Armitage Ave. shops and restaurants. Am I wrong?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
j33

Having lived previously in Rogers Park, Albany Park and pre-Gentrification Edgewater (in 1992) I don't see that much of a difference between the Bucktown yuppies and the Wicker Park yuppies (this is not an insult per say, I enjoy living by this neighborhood and have no immediate intention on moving). There are boutiques on Division street selling $100 t-shirts just as there funky bars in Bucktown. There is a slight difference in feel, but for all intents and purposes, it is pretty much the same thing in my mind and the differences are minor when compared to other Chicago neighborhoods.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:31 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Intersting to see so much agreement among insiders that the differences are minimal, because as an outsider I have always seen these as pretty distinct neighborhoods. As I understand the "official" boundary to be the railroad tracks at Bloomingdale (rather than North Ave), the intersection of North/Damen/Milwaukee is technically in Wicker Park and I think exemplifies the urban mix that seems to define Wicker Park more than Bucktown. I see Bucktown as a more yuppy, more Lincoln Parkish. When I think of Wicker Park, I think of Milwaukee Avenue's eclectic mix, while Bucktown seems more defined by the comparatively refined Damen Ave. and Armitage Ave. shops and restaurants. Am I wrong?
Well part of the disagreement I guess is that Bucktown and Wicker Park are not official neighborhoods, so there is no official boundary. That said, myself and every other Chicagoan I know have always thought of North Avenue as the boundary between the two; and I don't know that it makes much difference to move the boundary north by two blocks. I see the eclectic mix in both of them; the stately old mansions in Wicker Park correspond to the newer, expensive single-families in Bucktown; for all the "refinement" along the Damen strip in Bucktown, there is an awful lot of not-so-refinement along the Milwaukee corridor; I see the same eclectic crowd in The Empty Bottle in Wicker as I do at Quenchers or The Map Room in Bucktown. There may be minor cosmetic differences here and there, but compared to other neighborhoods in the city, they're practically identical to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago