Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,111,398 times

Advertisements

HI Everyone,

I am planning to be spending some time in Chicago over the holidays and was thinking about heading to Chinatown to check it out. I haven't heard it mentioned too much on this forum, and Wikipedia's article is very unfulfilling. Some of the questions I have are:

Is Chinatown considered a "safe area" to visit, despite it's location next to some unsafe areas?

Chinatowns are known for having good, authentic restaurants. What restaurants are Chicago's Chinatown known for? Are there any vegetarian/friendly restaurants that are known to be good?

What besides the restaurants are interesting places to visit in Chinatown? Or is it just somewhere tourists generally just go to eat?

Sorry if this is a topic that has already been touched upon, I couldn't find too much on it browsing the older threads and there are about a billion to go through. Help with any or all of these questions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,960,337 times
Chicago's china town is kind of small compared to San Fransico's or other places. It has some resturants and is safe but don't expect much. From China town U.S. Celluar feild is a short distance away.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,222,551 times
Behold, some info:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...chinatown.html

Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 868,690 times
Having lived in Beijing for over a year I had my Chinese food cravings when I came to Chicago. My favorite three have been Tasty Place for cheap no fuss quick food little dim sum bites with main dishes to share. The 2nd "Chinatown" at the argyle red line stop has a place nearby called sun wah BBQ which is by far my favorite sit down Chinese restaurant. For little BBQ buns jiaozi and baozi I stop by chiu Quon bakery which is in both Chinatowns.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,264,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
What besides the restaurants are interesting places to visit in Chinatown? Or is it just somewhere tourists generally just go to eat?
They have some interesting bakeries, IMHO... with very cheap prices. You might or might not find them to your liking, but do check them out.

There are also shops that sell everything from furniture to knick-knacks. Great for an afternoon's browsing.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,111,398 times
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I'm going to be staying in Lincoln Park. Anyone know how long of a ride it is on the L? And is the "other" Chinatown on Argyle worth a visit? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,755,388 times
I don't want to get into a "pecking order" for America's Chinatowns, but let's be totally realistic here:

Chicago's Chinatown is a MAJOR, MAJOR Chinatown by any scale.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,222,551 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I'm going to be staying in Lincoln Park. Anyone know how long of a ride it is on the L? And is the "other" Chinatown on Argyle worth a visit? Thanks!
It depends on where in Lincoln Park you're staying. If you're close enough to North/Clybourn red line, you just hop on there and go north to Argyle for 'Little Saigon" or south to the Chinatown stop for Chinatown. If you're closer to the Fullerton station, you can pick any brown line stop in lincoln park and transfer to the red line to go north or south. you have a lot of easy options.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 868,690 times
Quote:
Ur basically right in between both. Take te red line north for argyle take the redline south to cermak/Chinatown

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

732 posts, read 2,970,399 times
Search the LTH Forum for detailed recs on Chinatown and Little Saigon restaurants. Someone mentioned Sun Wah in Little Saigon; in Chinatown try Lao Sze Chuan or "Little" Three Happiness for sit down or Phoenix for dim sum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago