Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM

207 posts, read 506,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee1984 View Post
I am an African American Female Executive in my 40s, single with a son considering a position in Chicago. I would need to go to airport weekly. Office in Aurora, Naperville area. I would like to be close to the city for social outlets. I have been told Oak Park or Naperville. I need good schools. I love the workmanship of the Prairie Homes I have seen online in Oak Park. Please help in making suggestions of areas that offer diversity, great schools and convenient to Aurora,airport and downtown activites. Dont mind a 20-30 min drive (lol). Thanks, Lee Lee
Just move to Bronzeville or Hyde Park with the other pretentious black "executives" who enjoy their imaginary elitism. There is plenty of "activities" out there for you to enjoy your "Im-better-than-youness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Just move to Bronzeville or Hyde Park with the other pretentious black "executives" who enjoy their imaginary elitism. There is plenty of "activities" out there for you to enjoy your "Im-better-than-youness".
Areas that have high numbers of middle class and affluent african americans living there are constantly ridiculed or marginalized unfairly. Affluent and middle class whites racially segregate more often than not in reverse so what makes it so despicable when high achieving blacks want to have the same level of comfort of not being completely surrounded by all whites all of the time in a metro area that is over a third black anyway? Most of these so called black communities are in fact very racially diverse. Yes, they are made up of large numbers or in some cases majority african americans. But hyde park, bronzeville, beverly, jackson park highlands in the city, or olympia fields, flossmoor in the burbs are way more racially diverse than say lincoln park in the city or naperville in the suburbs. And the only folks that I ever hear dissuading more whites from moving to areas like hyde park, bronzeville, beverly, jackson park highlands, olympia fields, flossmoor, etc., are other whites. Middle class and affluent blacks for the most part are perfectly fine with living next door to whites in a truly racially diverse community. I consider true racial diversity in a community when all of the races who live in or who are moving into the community are earning relatively the same income levels. So that you do not have different class structures within the community based on race.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-27-2010 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Areas that have high numbers of middle class and affluent african americans living there are constantly ridiculed or marginalized unfairly. Affluent and middle class whites racially segregate more often than not in reverse so what makes it so despicable when high achieving blacks want to have the same level of comfort of not being completely surrounded by all whites all of the time in a metro area that is over a third black anyway? Most of these so called black communities are in fact very racially diverse. Yes, they are made up of large numbers or in some cases majority african americans. But hyde park, bronzeville, beverly, jackson park highlands in the city, or olympia fields, flossmoor in the burbs are way more racially diverse than say lincoln park in the city or naperville in the suburbs. And the only folks that I ever hear dissuading more whites from moving to areas like hyde park, bronzeville, beverly, jackson park highlands, olympia fields, flossmoor, etc., are other whites. Middle class and affluent blacks for the most part are perfectly fine with living next door to whites in a truly racially diverse community. I consider true racial diversity in a community when all of the races who live in or who are moving into the community are earning relatively the same income levels. So that you do not have different class structures within the community based on race.

I just think that black people in Chicago have a skewed perspective when it comes to class, making money, being affluent....it can get very silly and almost sad. They make a huge deal out of absolutely nothing. For example (I am black by the way) I used to date this black girl who was from the southside and she attended Loyola, graduated and found a job earning around $40,000 a year which is nothing to sneeze at but on the large scale is absolutely crumbs. But at any rate this chick really though she was apart of high society, and only wanted to be affiliated with the "who's who" of Black Chicago and live in "exclusive" black neighborhoods and only attend parties at high profile posh nightclubs...a bunch crazy crap. Fast forward to now, I date a Ukrainian girl who graduated from Univ of Illinois with a degree in Pharm and makes $150,000 a year as a Pharmacist almost 4 times as much as the last girl and I have to drag her to a nice restaurant because she would rather eat McDonalds or White Castles, when it comes to living in an apartment she lives on the NW Side in a regular apartment and when I say regular I mean regular. The pretentiousness in this city is out of hand. Its like ok who care if you are an executive just find a neighborhood that you will feel comfortable in no matter who lives there, black, Hispanic, white, Asian, affluent, middle class, poor. Chicagoans are insane.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
You really need to expand your horizons...the southside and south suburbs are a literal joke. The people who I know who come from these areas all seem to be small minded and have limited perspectives about life as a whole, they are only in touch with African American life and THATS IT!!But the problem lies in the fact that the world is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than simply African Americans and when they finally try to transition outside of that bubble they are completely lost, therefore most of them remain in those areas for the duration of their lives without any desire to leave while trying their best to keep others from escaping.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I just think that black people in Chicago have a skewed perspective when it comes to class, making money, being affluent....it can get very silly and almost sad. They make a huge deal out of absolutely nothing. For example (I am black by the way) I used to date this black girl who was from the southside and she attended Loyola, graduated and found a job earning around $40,000 a year which is nothing to sneeze at but on the large scale is absolutely crumbs. But at any rate this chick really though she was apart of high society, and only wanted to be affiliated with the "who's who" of Black Chicago and live in "exclusive" black neighborhoods and only attend parties at high profile posh nightclubs...a bunch crazy crap. Fast forward to now, I date a Ukrainian girl who graduated from Univ of Illinois with a degree in Pharm and makes $150,000 a year as a Pharmacist almost 4 times as much as the last girl and I have to drag her to a nice restaurant because she would rather eat McDonalds or White Castles, when it comes to living in an apartment she lives on the NW Side in a regular apartment and when I say regular I mean regular. The pretentiousness in this city is out of hand. Its like ok who care if you are an executive just find a neighborhood that you will feel comfortable in no matter who lives there, black, Hispanic, white, Asian, affluent, middle class, poor. Chicagoans are insane.
Ok, I get your point about people in general, there are always those young $40,000 a year want to pretend and live like millionaires of any race in any trendy area, but I don't think that relates to middle class and affluent areas that have large numbers of african americans living there anymore so than mostly all white trendy areas. There are plenty of these young want to pretend types renting expensive apartments that absorb more than half of there income and leasing luxury cars that absorb the rest living in areas like lincoln park, lakeview, the gold coast, etc. And people who live in say hyde park are on average way less pretentious than many younger folks who live in lincoln park. I mean come on, what the heck is wrong with a middle class or affluent black person wanting to live around other middle class and affluent blacks. Why must anything that signifies black upward mobility like a nice area that has a large number of african american residents have to have an unfair negative connotation attached to it? I think it's great that middle class and affluent blacks finally have very nice areas in chicago and the suburbs that we can take pride in knowing that large numbers of african americans are residents in those very nice areas.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-27-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You really need to expand your horizons...the southside and south suburbs are a literal joke. The people who I know who come from these areas all seem to be small minded and have limited perspectives about life as a whole, they are only in touch with African American life and THATS IT!!But the problem lies in the fact that the world is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than simply African Americans and when they finally try to transition outside of that bubble they are completely lost, therefore most of them remain in those areas for the duration of their lives without any desire to leave while trying their best to keep others from escaping.
That's just total bunk BS. Small minded? Is the president of the united states small minded? Are all of the corporate executives, business owners, etc., who choose to live in these affluent areas on the southside or south suburbs small minded also? There is nothing small minded or confining about living in a very nice community on any side of chicago. Low achieving, non motivated, dirt bags who don't respect anything can be found on any side and aren't usually residents of the nice communities that I am talking about.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
SoxCub Fan, it sounds like you've run into some of the "newly rich" that I met. Their perspective is skewed - but it is certainly not defined by race. it's defined by the perspective of how much a salary can buy in terms of social climbing. Where I live $40K is a decent salary, but it's chump change to the guy whose net worth is $20M.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
allen2323;16799035] Affluent and middle class whites racially segregate more often than not in reverse so what makes it so despicable when high achieving blacks want to have the same level of comfort of not being completely surrounded by all whites all of the time in a metro area that is over a third black anyway?
Chicago MSA is more like 17% black. The southside and south suburbs give the illusion that Chicago's MSA is over 33% black. I was on Michigan Ave. today and saw more Asians than people who resemble me.

Quote:
Most of these so called black communities are in fact very racially diverse.
Not in the city. The average black person in the city lives in a community that is 85% black. We have the least racial/ethnic exposure out of every major racial/ethnic group.
Quote:
But hyde park, bronzeville, beverly, jackson park highlands in the city, or olympia fields, flossmoor in the burbs are way more racially diverse than say lincoln park in the city or naperville in the suburbs.
I can't find any liable updated stats on Bronzeville, but Bronzeville was about as black as Lincoln Park is white according to 2000 census. Jackson Park is very black since it belongs to the South Shore community( 95.5% black, 2000)

Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
$40k isn't alot, but she can live alright in Chicago with that income. And technically she is middle class, especially with no children. I can tell that the black girl you dated comes from a predominately blue collar neighborhood on the southside where the median income is below or at $40k. Its almost understandable why she was acting bougie making $40k when the 2008 median income for Black Chicagoans was only $31k. $40k is slightly above Harvey's median income and about twice the amount compare to Englewood. 40k is "good money" according to the people around my way.

It probably have little to do with Black Chicagoans perspective on income. Consider the fact Chicago median income is below 50k, making 40k is not bad.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Always interesting to hear from people who are not used to being around money (I realize there are both on this forum). 40k is less than some on this forum pay in taxes per year.

It is usually those with the least money who tend to be flashiest. In grade school my dad taught me to not judge someone by their clothes, car or house.

I grew up around some very poor and some very rich people but you would never have known it by the cars or clothes (perhaps the homes to some extent). But then again nouveau riche hardly exists in farming communities. It takes literally generations to build up substantial wealth. Perhaps this is why city people are so much flashier, feeling they have to show off while those with the real money could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago