Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM

312 posts, read 709,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
My thought was maybe they avoided using "real" gangs because they didn't want to lend any credibility to them. By creating a fictitious "Irish Mob" they avoid giving airtime to a bunch of worthless punks who might translate that kind of shout out to 'Street cred"
I thought the show was alright. I enjoyed the way the used so much of the city location-wise, though the plots and characters were pretty ham-fisted. All in all, I don't need something to be the epitome of accuracy to be entertaining. I mean, it makes no bones about being a work of fiction, so why harp on the discrepancies? People* watch "House MD" despite the fact that it's about as far flung into fantasy-land as you can possibly get.

*People = Me, anyways.
I don't know. The Wire was laudable for its accuracy. Even if something is fiction, you have to buy in somewhat to its plausibility for it to be compelling. (By you, I guess I mean me.) So maybe locals who watched the Code were at a disadvantage in that regard. That Humboldt Park chase in the first episode (?) was fun, and I liked when they drove by the Fireside Bowl in a later episode.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,105,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
I don't know. The Wire was laudable for its accuracy. Even if something is fiction, you have to buy in somewhat to its plausibility for it to be compelling. (By you, I guess I mean me.) So maybe locals who watched the Code were at a disadvantage in that regard. That Humboldt Park chase in the first episode (?) was fun, and I liked when they drove by the Fireside Bowl in a later episode.
Yeah, that was the kind of stuff I liked, trying to identify where they were at, seeing familiar stuff.
I agree that things should be plausible to be enjoyable, but I think it's reasonable to say that there is a big difference between plausible and factual. But hey, I've only lived in Chicago for 6 years, and while I love it, I recognize that I am not as deeply rooted as many on this board, so I can appreciate them being defensive if they feel our city is being misrepresented or maligned.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Yeah, that was the kind of stuff I liked, trying to identify where they were at, seeing familiar stuff.
I agree that things should be plausible to be enjoyable, but I think it's reasonable to say that there is a big difference between plausible and factual. But hey, I've only lived in Chicago for 6 years, and while I love it, I recognize that I am not as deeply rooted as many on this board, so I can appreciate them being defensive if they feel our city is being misrepresented or maligned.
That's just the thing -- a lot of what is depicted as "The Chicago code" isn't plausible for those who know Chicago. Like I said upthread, if they had just called it "The Code" and set it in a generic city, it wouldn't have induced so many groans in the Chicago forum. But the show traded heavily on its "Chicagoness" while painting a totally cartoonish rendition of Chicago politics and corruption. THAT is the contradiction that had so many of us cringing.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,105,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's just the thing -- a lot of what is depicted as "The Chicago code" isn't plausible for those who know Chicago. Like I said upthread, if they had just called it "The Code" and set it in a generic city, it wouldn't have induced so many groans in the Chicago forum. But the show traded heavily on its "Chicagoness" while painting a totally cartoonish rendition of Chicago politics and corruption. THAT is the contradiction that had so many of us cringing.
Well, on that matter, I will respectfully defer to those who have been here longer than I. I love this city and consider it home, but still have much to learn about it's history and whatnot, which is one reason I spend so much time on this board.
I never bothered watching "Detroit 1-8-7" but I suspect, having grown up there, I would have found a lot of inconsistencies that would have bothered me (Same if there was a show called "Phoenix Code" or whatever, considering my 16+years in that area as well)

Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 AM

47 posts, read 54,302 times
This show sucked. End of story.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
To be fair, the accents were just as bad in The Wire (except for the actors who were local). Same deal with a foreign guy sounding vaguely New York-ish. Most of the characters sounded New York-ish, in fact, which is nothing like how they talk in Baltimore.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM

312 posts, read 709,663 times
fair enough. I shouldn't speak to the accuracy of the Wire without having lived in Baltimore; was just going off the critical acclaim.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,725,866 times
I was looking forward to seeing it again. I'm sorry it got canceled.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,287,771 times
We still got....Against the Wall. *shudder*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago