U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
The show is a work of fiction. I don't know why people are criticizing it like it's supposed to be an encyclopedia or documentary when it's not. It's a cop drama.
People are complaining because while it's fictional, it's supposed to depict Chicago, which it does a pretty miserable job of doing. If you're going set it in a city, use its name, its features, its symbols, its institutions and its accents, then it's best to understand the nuances of that city and portray them accordingly. Otherwise, pick a fictional city or make it ambiguous like Hill Street Blues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,221,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
People are complaining because while it's fictional, it's supposed to depict Chicago, which it does a pretty miserable job of doing. If you're going set it in a city, use its name, its features, its symbols, its institutions and its accents, then it's best to understand the nuances of that city and portray them accordingly. Otherwise, pick a fictional city or make it ambiguous like Hill Street Blues.
Yes, yes. This.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,241,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
are you sure? I read this:

Bugs Moran

and I thought it mentioned that as he was raised by a foster family (or relative, I forget) his background had gotten obscured, but that he was actually French Canadian.

GREAT book btw. The same author wrote an awesome one on Dean O'Banion as well.
His father's last name (Cunin) name sounds Irish to me and his mother's last name (Gobeil) sounds French to me.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM

121 posts, read 177,328 times
Interesting sights in Chicago in this episode. Chinatown. I'm gonna have to tour more of Chicago this weekend.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM

41 posts, read 55,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3hatch View Post
Interesting sights in Chicago in this episode. Chinatown. I'm gonna have to tour more of Chicago this weekend.
That is the same firehouse from the movie "Backdraft" if you saw that.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM

41 posts, read 55,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It is not only stupid but now gross. Do they really need to show us bloody bodies and severed hands? I thought I was going to vomit!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM

142 posts, read 282,560 times
I've spent 2 stints now in the city of Chicago - actually, this show does a good job depicting various aspects of the city. I wasn't sold after watching the Pilot, but have watched every episode and it's not as bad as I thought it would be initially. I actually kind of look forward to it now!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 AM

674 posts, read 522,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabak View Post
It is not only stupid but now gross. Do they really need to show us bloody bodies and severed hands? I thought I was going to vomit!
Over something suitable for a public broadcast? That's funny.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 42,949 times
Maybe it has been remedied or at least smoothed out since the episodes I stomached through, but did anyone else nearly get motion sickness from the over abundance of closeup pedestrian/cop "walk in front of the camera" frame transitions?

Aside from simply never gaining any interest in the characters, the camera work aided in ending it for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM

121 posts, read 177,328 times
Interesting Historical note in the beginning of this weeks episode.

A prostitution episode. I like how they used some history here. No mention of Jim Colosimmo

Last edited by bluem3hatch; 03-14-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago