Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberGuy View Post
The show looks good, but it seems like every city has/or has had their own cop show. I remember NewOrleans with Ice Cube, Detroit, and many others. All of which have been canceled.
There was a show two yrs ago with Patrick Swayze that took place in Chicago(forgot the name). Cool show, but it got canceled after his death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
There was a show two yrs ago with Patrick Swayze that took place in Chicago(forgot the name). Cool show, but it got canceled after his death
The Beast.
I tried watching it and thought it was thoroughly average.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM

81 posts, read 238,532 times
The Wire is the closest thing you will see if you want a pinpoint accurate portrayal of what goes on in the world of big city politics, law enforcement and the criminal element in those cities. If you have not seen the series I highly recommend it. Best cop series ever in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM

81 posts, read 238,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Like all cop shows, looks like over the top fictional crap. But somehow people will believe it is at all accurate. These shows are as accurate to the Police as Grey's Anatomy was to medicine. I normally don't even waste my time because it's too annoying how sensational shows like this are.
Poster is exactly right, but I really do not think it will last long though too. If the show was depicted the same way The Wire was, there would be a huge outcry from city politicians, top cops and lawmakers in the city. The city would ban the directors from making another episode.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,951 times
The Wire really was good, but I'm guilty of not catching all the episodes. Now I know what my next Netflix will be! But truthfully being a Cop can be fairly boring and mundane 90% of the time, and certainly wouldn't make for riveting TV. The average cop is just a normal guy doing a job, we don't live the life 24/7 like TV would have you believe. Most guys stress is getting the kids to school on time, paying bills and sleeping while it's light out. A wild and crazy time for us is watching the Bears game, having a shift Poker game every month or so and having a few beers. That would make for riveting TV. The average Cop is not on a power trip, not looking to ruin anyones day, actually does care about keeping the bad people away from the good even though a lot of time the very people we are helping buy into the stereotypes. Like you we can't wait for the weekend, even though for me my weekend might be Monday and Tuesday, take off the uniform, punch out on the clock, and then leave it all behind on my days off. So unless this show really brings something new to the table that hasn't been done 100 times, which I doubt, one season and it's done.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
"You think you can change the way things get done?... IN CHICAGO!!!"

Hehe, cracks me up.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
The Wire was amazing. Can't hardly watch anything in the same genre after that.
Yeah, after The Wire and The Shield, a new show has to really kick a$$, otherwise I lose interest pretty fast.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
The Beast.
I tried watching it and thought it was thoroughly average.
it was average at best. I did watch it regularly, though, because they filmed a lot of in blocks around my house so I sort of felt obligated ...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

121 posts, read 337,282 times
Just watched this show, and it made me so embarrassed. I face Palmed the whole way through it. And I'm from Houston.

There were just too many Sox and Cubs jokes in this show.

I'm giving this show 2 Seasons. 3 at best.

So Chicago knows how to fight back? was that the ending line at the end.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
The Chicago Reader tore the show a new one a few days ago and I agree with them.

They Got Us Wrong | Our Town | Chicago Reader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago