Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
So those houses built in the late 1800's with Greek and Roman details are authentic representations of those ancient styles? The reality is that the 19th Century saw one "revival style" after another, and American builders made no qualms about mixing styles or architectural elements in ways that would have never passed muster in Europe.
What? I thought all those neoclassical houses were built based on 2000+ year old blueprints found in a Roman catacomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Not always:
What made Lincoln Park go from a "bad" area to a "yuppie" area?

I happen to have a 1942 book on housing conditions in Chicago sitting around, and it's amazing to see numbers like this:
% of structures in good condition
Chicago citywide: 45.4%
Rogers Park: 68.8%
Lincoln Square: 47.6%
Woodlawn: 42.4%
Lincoln Park: 24.0%
Near North Side: 18.3%
West Town: 13.8%

At the time, Rogers Park and Woodlawn had newer housing stock and were more desirable. The working-class housing in inner-ring neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, much less the outright slums near the river on the Near North Side and West Town, had fallen into disrepair even by 1942.

In all fairness, is that really surprising? Twelve years of the Great Depression followed by two years of war time rationing? That means that there was nearly no new construction and few opportunities to rehab. It also meant that the available housing was quite taxed with a growing population.

What would be interesting is the motivation for the production of the report ...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
What? I thought all those neoclassical houses were built based on 2000+ year old blueprints found in a Roman catacomb.
Your sarcasm is duly noted...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Which ones look like they were airlifted from Naperville??
Is it not obvious?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 AM

92 posts, read 99,348 times
Boy is this an old thread. Original poster mentioned he thought that Lincoln Park was "always ritzy". I don't think that is true at all, but I'm no expert on Lincoln Park. However, I seem to remember my father telling me that parts of it were rather seedy, working class in the 60s and 70s as was some of East Lakeview. Was he wrong? To me that would explain some of the claims of rundown housing stock in this thread.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uicgrad View Post
Boy is this an old thread. Original poster mentioned he thought that Lincoln Park was "always ritzy". I don't think that is true at all, but I'm no expert on Lincoln Park.
It's not. This was noted earlier in the thread.

Quote:
However, I seem to remember my father telling me that parts of it were rather seedy, working class in the 60s and 70s as was some of East Lakeview. Was he wrong?
Nope, he was right.

Quote:
To me that would explain some of the claims of rundown housing stock in this thread.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that was the point being made by that poster.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
The ironic thing about this post is that central Naperville seems to have fewer teardowns of historic housing stock than Lincoln Park. Of course that quickly gives way to post-war subdivisions, but Naperville in some way is doing a better job at protecting it's historic character.

More than a decade ago I lived in a perfectly nice 19th century brick building in Lincoln Park. My fiancee had found the apartment, and was unaware that we were renting from a developer. They informed us about halfway through our lease that they were going to tear the building down, and wouldn't be renewing any leases in the building. We put a Preservation Chicago poster up in the window, and the landlord threatened us. We refused to take it down, as our lease explicitly permitted such displays. The old two-flat rental building was reduced to rubble, and the house built in its place sold for $3.8 million.

There was nothing wrong with our building other than the fact that it sat on land that was extremely valuable. A few years after our building was torn down, we noticed a "code Orange" building called the Pilot House get torn down. This "Second Empire" style house on a corner lot was worthy of landmark status, but the land was apparently too valuable for a mere 4,000 sf rehabbed house. Boom, gone. Along with dozens of other perfectly solid brick structures from the late 19th Century that were in decent shape. I worry it will happen again once the real estate market picks up. Chicago does a HORRIBLE job of preserving it's historical buildings.

http://www.preservationchicago.org/u.../sheffield.pdf

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 04-23-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I'll admit I like about 15% of newer homes, but most are ugly crap that are either over-the-top or look like cheap garbage to me. I absolutely love older buildings, and while many of them have problems regarding windows/lighting and layouts, I've seen very few newer buildings that actually address these issues, making the new buildings mostly a waste that don't uglify a street and improve nothing except the wallets of developers who sell to idiots who think "new" means "quality".

Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Ok, so you must not be looking at the posted streetview pic, and you must have never visited Lincoln Park because this entire post is completely wrong.

1. The new homes clearly have driveways and garages, and the old homes clearly don't (you know there were no cars in the 1800's, right?)
That doesn't mean they haven't been added since. I lived in Rogers Park in a home that was more than 100 years old that got turned into multiple apartments, and there was a garage that connected to the alley behind the house. A large number of the homes in the area were of a similar age, and many of them had a garage in the back as well. It's not like this is a new thing.

I also don't see what the big deal is having the garage in the front of the house or in the back of the house. In many cases it's still going to be there, so what does it matter if the home takes up one lot regardless?

Quote:
2. The new homes are often oversized faux-historicist, and the old homes aren't (you know there were no concrete and stucco homes with great rooms and media rooms in the 1800's, right?)
The majority of the newer homes I've seen on the north side are typically taking up the same amount of space as the older ones. And if someone wants to buy a home, demolish it and or gut it in order to start over, then that's their prerogative.

Quote:
3. The new homes replace multiple homes, and the population in those census tracts has dropped (you know that birthrates have dropped, we have Census stats, and 1 home is less dense than 2 or 3 homes, right?)
This can also come from a 2-3 unit apartment buildings being turned back into single family homes though. My old apartment in Rogers Park, for example, was in a building that had been a single family home up until a few decades ago, and it could easily be turned back into with little effort relatively speaking.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
My main question is, where is the huge preservation movement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago