Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,733 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy of smaller stature (about 5'5) and was interested in purchasing a garden apt on Winthrop st. between Argyle and Ainslie. That particular block looks nice, but I'm reading a lot about how shady the neighborhood is. I've lived in Columbus OH for most of my life, and was wondering how uptown stacks up safety weise. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
The epicenter of all thing evil in Uptown is near the Wilson stop. You're looking pretty near the Margate Park part of Uptown, and just south of Foster. Have you done due diligence in checking crime for the address yet?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I lived at Sheridan and Ainslie until 4 years ago and it was weird; a mixture of gangbangers, rummys, druggies, bums, whackos along with some regular working people both white and blue collar and both hetero and gay. There were streets I walked down and streets I avoided; when I went to the Green Mill I walked to and from Broadway on Argyle not Ainslie to avoid the lowlifes from that big building behind the Aragon. One night people from there beat the dog**** out'a the gay guy who lived across the hall and put him in the hospital.

We were broken into twice and once while we were home; we chased them off.

I hear things are worse around there now. Maybe I hear wrong.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Uptown is said to be the most ethnicity and economically diverse neighborhood in the city. During the day it seems ok, everyone goes to work. It's middle class. At night you start to see a few gang bangers and other unsavory types. Just avoid them and 99% of the time they don't bother you.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Uptown is such a mixed bag. I live in on a very safe block of Uptown closer to Irving Park Road (in what many people call Buena Park). We have basically had no safety issues here whatsoever in nearly six years (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here). But I've certainly had some experience with the "real" Uptown, and have to say I wouldn't live anywhere else in the neighborhood except for areas that border Ravenswood or Andersonville. "Margate Park" is nice too, but it feels sort of cut off from other nice areas, and you have to deal with some shady activity to go about your daily life there. We considered it when we were looking at places back in 2004-2005, but considering the crime spike we've seen this past year, I'm very happy we stayed closer to Lake View.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Check out uptown update.
Its a great area of the city, but currently there
is a gangwar going on there.

Regardless Uptown will be okay.
But there is turmoil there in the central area.
I personally like the area south of foster and west of broadway
north of lawrence and east of clark.

You can go to andersonville or argyle area
and you are close to the el and its a nice area.

Uptown continues to improve
and buildings are being rehabbed
and economic development is still occuring
despite the preponderance of low income housing
some of which does need to be phased out.....

Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Not have Schiller as the alderman there should help. She open the flood gates making Uptown the social services capital of Chicago and as can be predicted, you get all the things that go along with halfway houses, SROs, meth clinics, psych units, homeless shelters, Section 8 housing, etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Not have Schiller as the alderman there should help. She open the flood gates making Uptown the social services capital of Chicago and as can be predicted, you get all the things that go along with halfway houses, SROs, meth clinics, psych units, homeless shelters, Section 8 housing, etc.
I think Uptown had plenty of drug rehab and mental health centers before Schiller took office. That being said, those clinics have to located somewhere, would it be better if they moved them to Lincoln Park, the Loop, Bridgeport?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I think Uptown had plenty of drug rehab and mental health centers before Schiller took office. That being said, those clinics have to located somewhere, would it be better if they moved them to Lincoln Park, the Loop, Bridgeport?
Don't you think it would be better if such places were more scattered around the city instead of concentrated in one part of town? A neighborhood can handle a few such places... it's when it gets too many that the area becomes overwhelmed.

Why must Uptown be the dumping ground for everything?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Don't you think it would be better if such places were more scattered around the city instead of concentrated in one part of town? A neighborhood can handle a few such places... it's when it gets too many that the area becomes overwhelmed.

Why must Uptown be the dumping ground for everything?
I totally agree. Problem is convincing other neighborhoods to agree with this. Do you think the residents of Norwood Park or Gold Coast would welcome a methadone clinic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago