Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times

Advertisements

Once the final details are ironed out for my new job in Chicago, I will be moving. I will be making around 70K with a bonus and medical, dental, 401K, etc. benefits. I have no attachments and no children. I am looking to live somewhere relatively close to work (I will be working in the Chicago Loop) or at least somewhere I could take the metro to work each day easily. I would prefer to live somewhere somewhat lively with a good singles scene (not necessarily near a bunch of bars), be able to afford a nice loft/apartment (not too noisy), and nearby a grocery store/restaurants and other amenities and don't have to drive across town to get stuff. What are some good neighborhoods for this sort of thing? What's the nicest/safest neighborhood I could afford to live in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Lincoln park, lakeview, and bucktown are the usual recomindations. Be warned that these areas have bad parking but within the city itself you can get around without a car easily. However if you will be doing more than just going to some loop office to work(like say driving around differnt locations in town or the burbs) then the car would be much less a hinderance and a lot more useful.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
With an income of $70k, you could afford to live in almost any neighborhood, although what you could afford would be a lot smaller in some areas than others.

So it mostly boils down to what sort of tradeoffs you want. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are often the best places for newcomers to start out, because there are a lot of other transplants there. You can get your footing and then once you're a little more familiar with the city after a year or so you can decide on somewhere more adventurous if you want to.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
With an income of $70k, you could afford to live in almost any neighborhood, although what you could afford would be a lot smaller in some areas than others.

So it mostly boils down to what sort of tradeoffs you want. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are often the best places for newcomers to start out, because there are a lot of other transplants there. You can get your footing and then once you're a little more familiar with the city after a year or so you can decide on somewhere more adventurous if you want to.
I second that.
And unlike our hometown of STL Chicago has high density. There is always a grocery store or 10 within walking distance if u are on the north side.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Are all of the mentioned areas safe? Any of these areas on the border of a shadier area of town?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Are all of the mentioned areas safe? Any of these areas on the border of a shadier area of town?
all very safe as most of the north side is.
Lincoln Park is basically the people from Ladue in a city with multi million dollar homes and college students galore/older guys who wish they were still in college.
Lakeview/Wrigleyville is sort of the same a little bit more liberal and younger...The near north is what most people who've only visited chicago are familiar with...the highrises, michigan ave etc. West Town (Wicker Park, Bucktown etc...) the more "hip" neighborhood lots of hipsters and yuppies combined lots of "dive bars" where the young 20 somethings who think they are artists and living dangerously go.

It doesn't really get unsafe til you get pretty west and pretty south.

You know how it is in STL. The city is looked down upon as a giant slum (the ghetto), and the suburbs are seen as much more desireable. Chi City is awesome. For young guys like us the city is definitely seen as much more desireable for most, and you will love the dating scene in the city being young and making a good amount of money. Good luck m8.

Last edited by desperad0stl; 12-12-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
all very safe as most of the north side is.
Lincoln Park is basically the people from Ladue in a city with multi million dollar homes and college students galore/older guys who wish they were still in college.
Lakeview/Wrigleyville is sort of the same a little bit more liberal and younger...The near north is what most people who've only visited chicago are familiar with...the highrises, michigan ave etc. West Town (Wicker Park, Bucktown etc...) the more "hip" neighborhood lots of hipsters and yuppies combined lots of "dive bars" where the young 20 somethings who think they are artists and living dangerously go.

It doesn't really get unsafe til you get pretty west and pretty south.

You know how it is in STL. The city is looked down upon as a giant slum (the ghetto), and the suburbs are seen as much more desireable. Chi City is awesome. For young guys like us the city is definitely seen as much more desireable for most, and you will love the dating scene in the city being young and making a good amount of money. Good luck m8.
Haha, yes, I learned that aspect of STL very quickly after moving here. It has its real nice spots, but you really do have to be careful where you are in that city. Things get ugly and shady within a block if you aren't careful. To think that I accidently found myself in East St. Louis and made it out alive!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I second (or third or fourth or whatever) Linconln Park, Lakeview and Bucktown/Wicker Park. All of those neighborhoods are safe. If you have a car, my personal preference would be Bucktown/Wicker Park because street parking is so much easier and usually doesn't require a permit. Parking in Lincoln Park is a nightmare, if you ask me. I don't like even visiting friends there because of the parking hassle and sometimes I'll pick them up and we'll go back to my place where I can park easily.

As far as what you'll get for your money, in my experience you'll get the most space for the price in Bucktown or Wicker Park, followed by Lakeview, then Lincoln Park. I think you'd enjoy the area around the North/Milwaukee/Damen intersection. Off those three major streets the roads are very residential and quiet, yet you can get to all the stores and restaurants as well as the blue line for getting to work.

FWIW, Bucktown and Wicker Park are two neighborhoods, but they are very similar in feel and right next to each other, so they are almost always mentioned together. In case you were wondering... Also, don't let some ridiculous Realtor/Leasing agent sell you on the idea of "West Bucktown" or "West Wicker Park," there is no such thing. You'd really be in Logan Square or Humboldt Park. Those areas have their pros and cons, but they are not Bucktown or Wicker Park (I live in Humboldt, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't claim that it's Wicker Park).

Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 AM

10 posts, read 171,443 times
pfff way to broadcast how much you make, thats manly

Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutche82 View Post
pfff way to broadcast how much you make, thats manly
Ah, the green-eyed monster.

"Broadcasting" salary is a good way to inform those answering this question as to which neighborhood someone can live. Nobody would recommend Old Town or Gold Coast if a poster said, "I'll only make $24,000 a year."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago