U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 PM

711 posts, read 1,070,955 times
Default Football in the snow in the city

I grew up on a SW side block in the late 70s through the early 90's. Watching the Bears snow bowl today just reminds me of those snowy days when we would see the snow and go out and throw a football around on game days... usually in the street, sometimes on the sidewalks and the grass on the city's side of the sidewalk. When one or two people came out, it wasn't long before you'd have more neighbor kids, teens, and usually somebody's uncle outside playing ball and then you'd have a game.

Does anybody live on a block where this still happens?

I live in NW Indiana now, safe community, but I never see kids outside just throwing a football on snowy days. I miss that. I think kids are missing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,097,865 times
In the outer safe neighborhoods it happens more. But playing in the streets, alleys, and sidewalks has declined greatly. People are too afraid of being sued and brush the kids off to the parks.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 AM

4,094 posts, read 1,097,865 times
Today would be a great day for it!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 AM

3,555 posts, read 6,398,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I grew up on a SW side block in the late 70s through the early 90's. Watching the Bears snow bowl today just reminds me of those snowy days when we would see the snow and go out and throw a football around on game days... usually in the street, sometimes on the sidewalks and the grass on the city's side of the sidewalk. When one or two people came out, it wasn't long before you'd have more neighbor kids, teens, and usually somebody's uncle outside playing ball and then you'd have a game.

Does anybody live on a block where this still happens?

I live in NW Indiana now, safe community, but I never see kids outside just throwing a football on snowy days. I miss that. I think kids are missing out.
Traditionally they play football each year, rain or snow, on the midway on Thanksgiving on the south side. I actually saw the folks doing it this year.

They play in other spots, too. One popular spot is the median on Garfield Blvd. around Bishop or Union.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 AM

711 posts, read 1,070,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Today would be a great day for it!
It would!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago