Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,302,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Should Chicagoans be allowed to use furniture to save their shoveled-out parking spots in the winter? Opposing sides weigh in on the dibs debate. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localto/20110203/ts_yblog_localto/should-chicagoans-be-allowed-to-use-furniture-to-save-their-shoveled-out-parking-spots-in-the-winter-opposing - broken link)

Here is the story on yahoo. Reading the guy's comments who is for dibbs was too funny.
Someone call Bill Swerski, this guy needs to be a superfan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I guess while you are at it, why even shovel it out at all right?
To avoid having the snow freeze around the car. Hence, the bouncing plastic shovel effect if you don't...

Once you're done shoveling, leave it alone. This concept is not lost on us here in Cambridge, MA, and not a lawn chair in sight...

Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Once you're done shoveling, leave it alone.
The CTA does not cover enough of the city well enough anymore for everyone to do what you say. I don't see how you can compare a town of 100k to 3 million anyway.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yeah, I suspected that was what would happen (but was hoping it wouldn't). A few people on my block tried doing that in '99 and I helped by digging out 3 or 4 spaces in front of my house. Within half an hour all the spots were taken - more than half of them didn't move again for a week or two. The rest were dibbed by the people who swooped in and took them. For the next week there was yelling every night with people getting angry about their stuff getting moved, people getting angry about people claiming spots, etc. One car had the windows smashed in and was filled with snow. Eventually everyone was doing dibs.

Thankfully I didn't really have to move my car and just let everyone else battle it out. I have better things to do than stand in the street arguing about dibs, I just dig as much as I have time to, make sure fire hydrants and storm drains are clear, help neighbors when I can, and then follow the rest of the street in what they do. In Boston in the 70's and 80's a few people actually killed each other over this type of stuff.
yeah, in an extreme blizzard situation that's what the absence of leadership by Da Mare leads to.

I don't condone this practice at all, but in *extreme* situations like this I wish they would at least set some clear common sense rules, maybe a week, tops?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,174,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This concept is not lost on us here in Cambridge, MA, and not a lawn chair in sight...
How about Somerville, JP, Dorchester, Watertown, Southie....

Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Someone call Bill Swerski, this guy needs to be a superfan.
I love this guy, he actually hits the nail on the head in terms of why it doesn't work:

"Chair-Free Chicago argues that dibs is selfish, not very neighborly. The neighborly thing to do if someone shovels a spot and saves it is to go take a spot that's not shoveled."

If there are unshoveled spots, I agree 100%. But this is Chicago. In how many neighborhoods do you see surplus street parking even without the snow making it worse?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 PM

hey, quick question for you guys - is there a time limit on the snow-Tow Zone arteries? we're (groan) hosting a baby shower Saturday, this ought to be a perfect disaster.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
How about Somerville, JP, Dorchester, Watertown, Southie....
Ah , yes, the usual suspects ( although Watertown isn't as notorious as the others)..and by the way, Jamaica Plain is going upscale: they're going to get a Whole Foods (i.e. Whole Paycheck) store soon..

The one great benefit to leaving your car in place is that you avoid the lawn chairs, and the arguments in the street..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Unfortunately, what's starting to happen now is that people who live on other streets and who didn't feel like shoveling said streets are migrating their cars to our street. So all our work is starting to benefit everyone else in the neighborhood but us. Every winter I'm reminded of just how many antisocial a-holes live in this city.

If the city isn't going to do anything about dibs, they should implement a rolling parking ban so they can plow the streets all the way to the curb. A one-day parking ban on your street so they can plow it all the way may by a PITA for that day, but it will suck less than having half the available spaces filled up with snow for the next several weeks.
What happened to the guy I was talking to was his street became a no-parking tow zone as it was arterial, although it's residential.

We just need some leadership on the issue. Wishy-washy bs like El Mumblero offers just doesn't cut it.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't condone this practice at all, but in *extreme* situations like this I wish they would at least set some clear common sense rules, maybe a week, tops?
There is. When the city announces it will pick up anything left in the street. Whenever they decide to make that announcement varies.

In some places, the streets are getting really clear now that the sun has been out for two days.

I give it a few days still before the city says to remove the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago