Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM

529 posts, read 646,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
The way I see it it's not the lack of wins that are hurting the Blackhawks the most, it's 'Dollar' Bill Wirtz. Once he's buggered off I think it will regain it's status as a great hockey town pretty quickly but until then 'Hawks fans are going to have to endure even more pain and misery. He's a leech sucking the franchise dry from the inside.
Nailed it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,414 times
Christ-- I read through the first page and half of this thread before I realized it was 12 years old, and I was *really* confused. I was thinking, "WTF, we just came out of a period of 5-8 years when people would not stop constantly talking about the Blackhawks (which seemed to happen out of nowhere to me), which included a Stanley Cup win, and now after one bad season we're already not a hockey town anymore?

Seeing that the article comes from 2007 now it makes more sense. (I really wish zombie threads had some sort of clear, bold, bright flag or tag indicating them as such!) That being said, it does seem generally true that the Cubs and Bears tend to be popular no matter how they are performing on the field, while the Sox, Bulls, and Hawks have to actually perform well to get the city to rally around them.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:48 AM

92 posts, read 101,408 times
As a long time Hawks fan, (over 50 years), am 59 now, I've been through the "wringer" so to speak. This thread threw me for a loop too, lol. I'm like, geez how soon they forget.
I had the same feelings back in 07, and I knew the team would never be popular or successful as long as the old curmudgeon was around.
I swear it was the happiest day of my life (not counting personal events of course) when I woke up and went online and saw that he had passed! I know, it sounds terrible, but thats how much hate I and countless other Hawks fans had for him.

To have won a championship in a short 3 years afterwards was a miracle. Something I thought I'd never see. Then to win 2 more in another relatively short time (5 years) is more than we could ask for.

To see them turn Chicago into a hockeytown was incredible, the media coverage, the parades with millions of people, a sight to behold. I know a lot of them probably couldn't tell you who the backup goaltender on those 3 championships but whatever, my home town was a hockeytown.

Now, they're not doing so great, as to be expected the trades and high salaries and salary cap issues makes things cyclical in certain sports.

I can see the general decline in interest, even among people I know personally who love hockey and the Hawks.
There's no "wow, did you see that game last night" kind of feeling we all had back in the glory days.

So I can see Chicago not being a great hockeytown, unless the team is winning. The Bears will always rule, I dont know why though. The Cubs to a lesser extent, maybe the Bulls next and god help the White Sox.

But in those years from 2010 to 2015, Chicago was THE Hockeytown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: