U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,685,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killingspree View Post
Hipsters are nothing more than spoiled rich brats that look down on everyone.
Not true. Hipsters work like anyone else to purchase their food, rent, cd's, and other desired goods and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM

11,544 posts, read 4,211,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
That is my point. Hipsters flock to neighborhoods that are generally safe. Hipsters flock to Logan Square, not Humboldt Park.
Not true. Some hipsters do live in Humboldt Park and Pilsen, neighborhoods in which many members on here consider unsafe and have warned members about.

Quote:
No, property owners move in and invest in an area they see potential, they rent to middle class people and artists and the like. Hipsters come later, once its been established that the area is safe, affordable, and there are artists for them to emulate.
That is not the way gentrification works. Iliketrains has a pretty grasp of the process. Urban pioneers, whether they be artists, hipsters, bohemians, are just plain crazy people are the first to move in, yuppies are usually the last ones to arrive, much later. When yuppies do move in, they usually don't become landlords.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,942,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
I liked your comment so much I decide to answer it in two parts.
Well the flipside of gentrification is ghettoification.
Both are trends that the common man alone cant stop.
I think that we can all agree on.

So Lakeshoresoxgo does it feel worse to be pushed out of a
neigborhood when you are priced out or because the safety
level has gotten to the point where you are forced to move
and sell at a loss?

Neigborhoods change and the people in that neigborhood now
their parents were outsiders before and I dont think they
were welcomed into the neigborhood with open arms,
some in extreme cases probably got bricks in their windows.
So now that the area is changing for the better (relative term
just means the buildings are getting fixed up and alot of money
is being invested in the local infrastructure) are
the residents of old that are now there treating the new outsiders
any better than they were treated?

Something to Ponder.

No one owns a neigborhood.
Take Pilsen for example, that name isnt a Mexican name. Its Czech.
It would be weird if neigborhoods were static
unchanging places stuck in time.

There was a time when Cities were awesome,
then it was the Suburbs and now the balance
is shifting back more towards the City.
Its a national trend. Its understandable to not like
change and to feel animosity to a new group of people
moving into where you have grown up.
I went through this, umm 30 years ago in Lincoln Park.
This has been going on for a very very very long time.
Lincoln Park was just a regular rough and tumble neigborhood
when I was a tyke, I cant afford to live there now
so I live and own in Rogers Park.

You're style of writing is quite unique. I think it is much easier for people with the means to pick up and move than it is for people with out the means. Most people who sell at a loss do so, because they can afford to. But what about the ones who can't? Whether gentrification or urban decay, those are the people who 'get the short end of the stick'. Hipsters come and go. Born in Naperville, they move to the city, have kids, and go back to Naperville. A city can not function with out its working class, it can function with out hipsters just fine.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,942,389 times
Quote:
That is not the way gentrification works. Iliketrains has a pretty grasp of the process. Urban pioneers, whether they be artists, hipsters, bohemians, are just plain crazy people are the first to move in, yuppies are usually the last ones to arrive, much later. When yuppies do move in, they usually don't become landlords.
Nor hipsters. Sorry, but a 24 year old hipster in a post college funk, is not buying a property for rehab. If all gentrification took was a bunch of guys in girls pants listening to bad music moving in, Chicago would have looked like Manhattan 5 years ago.

Gentrification takes vision and courage, attributes most hipsters lack.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM

5,196 posts, read 4,305,750 times
Quote:
That is my point. Hipsters flock to neighborhoods that are generally safe. Hipsters flock to Logan Square, not Humboldt Park.

No, property owners move in and invest in an area they see potential, they rent to middle class people and artists and the like. Hipsters come later, once its been established that the area is safe, affordable, and there are artists for them to emulate.

Pilsen is thriving. It has had a thriving hispanic and working class population for quite some time. Just because a bunch of dazed kids in skinny jeans playing with iphones 24/7 were not there does not mean it was was not thriving.
I'd like to buy you a beer. Best post I've seen in months.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,932,131 times
Quote:
Nor hipsters. Sorry, but a 24 year old hipster in a post college funk, is not buying a property for rehab. If all gentrification took was a bunch of guys in girls pants listening to bad music moving in, Chicago would have looked like Manhattan 5 years ago.

Gentrification takes vision and courage, attributes most hipsters lack.
Attributes most Big 10 Lakeview frat bros lack, too. Attributes almost everyone lacks, if you have a high enough standard.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Not true. Some hipsters do live in Humboldt Park and Pilsen, neighborhoods in which many members on here consider unsafe and have warned members about.

this ain't Detroit. the neighborhoods in question aren't ghost towns - people do actually live in them already.

the biggest problem I'm seeing here is confusion over what "hipsters" are. are they creative working professionals? DePaul dropouts working the nightlife circuit?

AFAIC, "hipsters" is a stupid, pointless phrase - and anyone who would knowingly embrace it as an identity needs serious help. What you're really trying to do is pretend you're a victim/oppressed by the world, and sorry, you aren't. Cops aren't out there rounding up hipsters. Nobody ever got thrown in the drunk tank for wearing a blue-collar working man's uniform they bought at a thrift store.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Attributes most Big 10 Lakeview frat bros lack, too. Attributes almost everyone lacks, if you have a high enough standard.
Agree on part I, part II, not so much. Not everyone moves into a neighborhood thinking everyone else already living there is a sub-standard human being that isn't worthy of the privilege of paying Chicago taxes and cost-of-living and dealing with all the other crazy bs that comes with big city living. People come to Chicago to work, for the most part. The ones who come here to gawk and try to connect with some vague artistic spirit while taking jobs they consider short-term/beneath them are of a privileged class by definition.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM

400 posts, read 505,619 times
Quote:
You're style of writing is quite unique. I think it is much easier for people with the means to pick up and move than it is for people with out the means. Most people who sell at a loss do so, because they can afford to. But what about the ones who can't? Whether gentrification or urban decay, those are the people who 'get the short end of the stick'. Hipsters come and go. Born in Naperville, they move to the city, have kids, and go back to Naperville. A city can not function with out its working class, it can function with out hipsters just fine.
The ones who cant sell loss and waited too long are screwed.
Thats what happened to my moms parents. She grew up in East Garfield Park by Homan and Chicago and they stayed on long after it had turned into a hellhole.

Some people see the direction a neigborhood is moving and move to one that is more affordable. And I can understand people being priced out or have to leave because the building is condoized or renovated would be upset. But no social policy or law or anything could ever stop or change that. Change is inevitable in general and the more things change the more they stay the same. Thats how much change is a constant.
Weird but true.

Its true some hipsters may not stay, but some growup to be yuppies or puppies (poor yuppies) and do stay. Its true the city cant function without a working class, but look at SF, its slowly losing any affordable housing and people still come there for work, they just have to commute. I dont think that will happend to Chicago, but yeah some parsification is occuring. You dont have to be rich to make in Chicago, by investing early in an up and coming neigborhood you ensure that you can afford to live in that area and you get stability and can make money off of the other units you have if you had bought a multiunit. Alot of people make bad decisions
and are chronic renters as a result of that, sure some people have no choice but alot dont want the hassle of owning or just arent that ambitious. They shouldnt then get upset if their neigborhood gets gentrified and pricey when they turned their back on possibly owning and fixing up a place.

Gentrification is necessary in some form for this City to be Ok.
Brings in some extra tax money to the city and how else are buildings going to get fixed up and new infrastructure to be built?

I think alot more gentrification or just improvement could actually be going on, but alot people just dont have the interest to dedicate themselves to saving up money for a place and then actually working their ass off to fix it up and being involved in the community.

Last edited by xavier xerxes; 12-26-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,148,216 times
Look at all the hipsters on the defense. lol

Last edited by tonythetuna; 12-26-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago