U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,368,156 times

Advertisements

Holy wow. This thread took a turn for the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM

3,924 posts, read 2,767,827 times
Quote:
They're raving about little dive bars and old restaurants in places like Berwyn, Bridgeport and "West Logan Square" (aka Hermosa),
Wait...Hermosa is now West Logan Square?! What are they calling Cragin these days?

(this is a fun thread)

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM

I sort of think of "hipster" as the modern version of "bohemian"...and Chicago has had that for decades....though this subculture--in its various iterations---has moved around as the decades past.

Back in the 1910s and 1920s it was "Towertown", the area between the Water Tower and Bughouse Square, & around the square. I guess that would be Rush, Dearborn, State, etc...

Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 AM

67 posts, read 104,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Wait...Hermosa is now West Logan Square?! What are they calling Cragin these days?

(this is a fun thread)

Oh yea...I've read apartment descriptions like that on Craigslist, or other apartment finder services. I've seen the area we'd know as Hermosa advertised as "West Logan Square" and bits of the eastern portion of Austin along North Ave by Cicero advertising "affordable" apartments under "West Humboldt Park." Even once saw an apartment at Addison and Milwaukee listed specifically as being in "Logan Square."

I've also seen apartments adviertised by agencies in Cragin as "West Avondale."

I wonder when Dunning/Belmont Heights will be "West Irving Park"....

Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,170,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind4 View Post
I've seen bits of the eastern portion of Austin along North Ave by Cicero advertising "affordable" apartments under "West Humboldt Park."....
Really??? No you-know-what! I remember when realtors were trying to sell me a condo in Humbolt Park about 10 years ago and calling it "West Bucktown." You know you've arrived when you get part of a 'hood named after you

To those hipsters looking for little dive bars in Berwyn -- check out George's near Stanley and Oak Park to display your irony. Very hip in its own way. Cheap Old Style and PBR, not to mention a very nice owner and interesting regulars. That place is prime for a hipster infusion.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,767,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
To those hipsters looking for little dive bars in Berwyn -- check out George's
No problem, I'll spread the word around and you'll have an infestation of hipsters, you won't be able to get rid of them.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,170,436 times
Much obliged.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,241,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
What are they calling Cragin these days?
Infant North Austin.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 AM

There's some great content on this thread. The story about the tempermental pastry chef (linked) was priceless.

Probably the funniest was the thread parent. Hipsters don't ask about where the "hipster" area is. You should already know that! It sort of defeats the concept to have to ask.....sheesh....

Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM

5,269 posts, read 4,453,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I feel this post resonates with me the most. As child growing up, my father would take me to my nannie's on week ends when my parents went away. He was adamant about me learning how others survive and how most "average" people live day to day. It is something that never left me, and probably has a lot to do with how I have lived my life.

I find ironic mockery of "blue collar" people to be something of very poor taste. Do you see mothers shopping at thrift stores getting "stoaked" over an "epic" used sweater? Do children wearing 'hand-me-downs' look happy when they get on the bus to school every morning? Are parents thrilled when they have to look for a new dwelling when the lease is up? These things may be an urban game to hipsters, but it is not for those who actually have no choice.
As parents were divorced I grew up wearing hand-me-down clothes and going to thrift stores, and yes, it was actually quite a relief to find something decent (or have jeans that didn't have the worn spots in places that didn't match my body!).

Surlycue, I mostly laugh as I think the hipster-concept is largely a media creation, and I've never met anyone who seriously identifies themselves as a hipster, per se. Artistic people are fun, as long as they don't take themselves so seriously they end up insulting less creatively-minded folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago