U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM

755 posts, read 818,942 times

Advertisements

My take on that blog post is if any of these supposed artists have such thin skin they might as well just quit. What's going to happen when they release their project out to the world and not everyone bows down just because they're so damn special? Curl up in a ball and make comparisons to the persecution of the Jews?

Btw there are a ton of bands coming out of Brooklyn (not so much from hipster hoods in Chicago) and many of them are great because they don't take themselves too seriously. Well except for that guy from Dirty Projectors but he can get away with it because of his voice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 PM

36,617 posts, read 57,924,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
I read some of that article then got quickly bored. So is my assessment correct that Hipsters have an over inflated sense of societal impact and are ticked because no one really pays attention to them? I'm confused?
This thread is 20 pages long and you think nobody pays attention to them?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,516,496 times
Brilliance:

Someone Is Setting 'Hipster Traps' in New York

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM

2,174 posts, read 1,123,438 times
"Before you object to the choices of bait, remember that having any opinion at all about hipsters or their taste preferences automatically renders you a hipster."

Classic.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM

755 posts, read 818,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Hipster Hunter Sets Cardboard ‘Trap’ in New York City - TIME NewsFeed

"But, of course, the joke is on the hipster hunter. Any hipster worth their salt would have heard about the trap long before it was set."

Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,123,438 times
I was setting traps before it was cool.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM

77 posts, read 86,750 times
Hipster is the big Other of urban culture. You do not locate the hipster, you only circumscribe indefinitely, always maintaining ample distance.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,023,707 times
OK, you're a snob. Maybe move somewhere else?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM

36,617 posts, read 57,924,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
It's true and anyone who lives in NYC would know that it is. But you have to understand that you are communicating with highly prejudiced midwesterners. Chicago may be a "big city" but it isn't a very welcoming or open minded sort of place, the midwestern mentality is entrenched here. You will be judged and labelled for dressing differently or having somewhat eccentric tastes or habits. The city is segregated and everyone seems to act like a member of some private club. People are not accepting and the place is not cosmopolitan like NYC. You can get a feel for it already in this thread. This place will always be held back by the mentality of the people here. They aren't ready to make Chicago a truly great city, in fact the concept of a great city escapes them. They simply don't have it in them to understand what sets a truly great city like NYC apart, they just don't know what its like. So it's not like they are even close to admitting what's wrong with it and working to better it, they simply don't even realize what's wrong.
Should I even bother pointing out the manifest hypocrisy of your post(s), or would that just demonstrate how I'm so pitiably inferior to your average world-weary New Yorker?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,248,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
I have to agree. In fact this city would be vastly improved if we had more of you. But instead I'm stuck in Lincoln Park living with soulless idiots who think this scene is cool because we have a Jamba Juice and Panera bread and surrounded by frat boy sports fans whose entire existences revolve around spouting statistics about popular sports teams and basically spend half their lives watching sports. Its a disgusting sterile scene here and the amount of hatred I see against people who are educated yet don't want to conform to mainstream corn syrup life lets you know just how bad it is out here. All they care about is popular music, popular television, popular sports and corporate restaurants. The worst part of it is that they don't see anything wrong at all about it. Should you raise the question they would look at you like you are an alien.
Heh. When I'm confronted with such types, I simply give them my best "I-am-more-interesting-than-you-are-so-please-do-not-bore-me" look, continue on my way, and call it a day.

Just remember that there's more to Chicago than Lincoln Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago