U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 AM

431 posts, read 554,156 times
I'm sure there are hipsters over the age of 25. It's hard to say, and I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not a hipster, don't know any hipsters, and don't hang out at hipster bars. When I was in Williamsburg last year, the hipsters there seemed the same as the ones in Chicago, except there were more of them, and they seemed to be more open about their drug use while sitting on the street. I walked past a group of three hipsters doing lines of something, and as I walked by I heard "this is a bad spot". Not to mention I was offered acid and shrooms more times than I can count on one hand. Never saw this or had drugs offered to me in the time I've spent in Wicker Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,544,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaJetta View Post
Am I wrong?
Yes.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

9,258 posts, read 10,872,846 times
Quote:
In Chicago, I've never seen one that looks to be over the age of 25. Am I wrong?
It's not for me to tell you what you see.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,851,831 times
Do hipsters wake up on the morning of their 26th birthday, look in the mirror and scream because they're wearing a polo and khakis?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM

2,068 posts, read 966,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Do hipsters wake up on the morning of their 26th birthday, look in the mirror and scream because they're wearing a polo and khakis?
That's their recurring nightmare.

(And the mirror is in a big house in Schaumburg)

Last edited by quigboto; 03-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: mo'

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM

2,002 posts, read 3,877,733 times
IMHO, people get way too worked up over this stuff. Are hipsters conformists? Probably, but who cares? Everyone to some extent is a conformist. Being a "true individual" is overrated. People who really march to the beat of their own drum in actual life tend to live very isolated existences, seldom get laid, and often end up going out there and doing something crazy. Who wants that?

I mean, sure, there might be a slight tinge of hypocrisy when a group that purports to be anti-conformist is, in fact, actually conformist. But beyond that, I don't see hipsters as any different than any other large identifiable group of young people.

I personally like hipsters from an urban planning perspective and have been very happy to see them at one of my favorite bars, Friendly Tap on Roosevelt, which has been attracting them lately. I also went to the Skylark in Pilsen recently. Absolute hipster haven, and our group had a great time. Very cool people, not to mention good beer. We didn't get stared at or treated poorly like chikid did in the coffee shop, though we were also decidedly un-hipster looking.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,544,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Being a "true individual" is overrated. People who really march to the beat of their own drum in actual life tend to live very isolated existences
You have a point... can anyone say UNABOMBER?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,877,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You have a point... can anyone say UNABOMBER?
Yup, and Lee Harvey Oswald, Mark David Chapman, and David Lynch. Good examples of white guys who felt they were too smart for the room and decided to be true individuals. And look what happened. Kennedy and Lennon were killed and we got a terrible film version of Dune. A good cautionary tale for all of us!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:35 PM

4,094 posts, read 964,358 times
Quote:
In Chicago, I've never seen one that looks to be over the age of 25. Am I wrong?
Yes.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM

4,094 posts, read 964,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I personally like hipsters from an urban planning perspective and have been very happy to see them at one of my favorite bars, Friendly Tap on Roosevelt,
Thanks. Another bar for me to avoid unless I have to drop a load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago