U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 AM

569 posts, read 864,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I didn't say anything in my post about marijuana in particular.

American prisons and jails incarcerate 2.3 million people, 1 million of which are imprisoned for non-violent crimes.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Prison Inmates at Midyear 2009 - Statistical Tables
http://www.cjcj.org/files/americas.pdf
Ok, so what then? Just because someone does a non-violent crime doesn't mean they shouldn't be locked up. Thieves, burglars, scammers, possession of weapons, threats and intimidation, identity theft, wire fraud, money laundering, the list could go on. You shouldn't just get a slap on the wrist just because you didn't do violence to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM

1,992 posts, read 1,797,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Wait until you're 69, see what you think then.

I don't think killing someone who attacks you is murder.
Nobody has any proof an "attack" ever happened. You can't kill everyone you get into a physical altercation with, sorry, I think the guy deserves lengthy jail time.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,267,083 times
So Tom, all those bar fights you've seen in your day -- they started with a punch, correct? Did the "victim" there have a right to shoot someone to death over a simple (alcohol-fueled) dispute?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 AM

36,643 posts, read 58,009,032 times
Quote:
Wait until you're 69, see what you think then.

I don't think killing someone who attacks you is murder.
When you go to confront someone who is not threatening you, bring a gun with you, brandish it, and end up using it, that's murder. Or at the very least manslaughter. If he didn't intend to use it he shouldn't have brought it with him.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,876,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So Tom, all those bar fights you've seen in your day -- they started with a punch, correct? Did the "victim" there have a right to shoot someone to death over a simple (alcohol-fueled) dispute?

No. I realize my position on this was wrong.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,282,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Does anyone actually know if the guy who was killed punched the 69 year old?
Excellent point.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
So I guess the next time a cop fears for his safety and kills some one, we should assume because there is "no witness" that the cop is lying?
Hello. People already do assume the cop is lying. They do in Chicago at least.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Age has much to do with it. An old man attacked by a young man has a right to defend himself by whatever means. It might not be legal but it's right. Which is probably why the judge cut the old timer some slack.
Did you ever see the video of "epic beard man?'"

Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM

434 posts, read 613,995 times
I can't believe this. I am not condoning the actions of the 23 year old, but let's think about this for a second. Yes, according to the story, the 23 year old punched the 69 year old, because there was a confrontation.

I'm willing to bet that the 69 year old was the instigator of the argument to begin with. He saw the dog urinating (not even defecating, URINATING) on his lawn, and went out to start something with the owner of the dog. I mean really, urine?! Who gives a flying you-know-what about a dog urinating on your lawn?

The old man should spend the rest of his life in prison. The fact that he served the country half a century ago is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,976,666 times
What is the story on the 23 year old? Was he a trouble maker or have a record?

I think the old guy overreacted and should have been given some nominal prison time. Its not like this dead due was a gangbanger sellinf drugs on his front lawn.

I would have given the old man 1-5 years in prison and let him out after 2 years for good behavior. Probation is too light.

My dad had a guy convicted of drunk driving who got 90 days in jail for a far lesser offense in which his passenger went to the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago