U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM

7,454 posts, read 3,835,078 times
Default Congratulations Chicago... you will now have the highest parking meter rates in the country!

Thank you Mayor Daley for selling off the rights to the city's parking meters and for allowing the fine citizens and visitors of Chicago to be raked over the coals to park here. Fine job, well done.

Quote:
Chicago's downtown rates will be highest in the entire country.

Effective Saturday, it'll cost even more to park your car at a meter in the city of Chicago. It's the third consecutive year of the increases.
In the Loop and the Central Business District, you'll pay a full $2 more than you did three years ago. Meters in the Loop will cost $5 per hour. In the CBD, they'll be $3 per hour.

Parking Meter Rates Jump Saturday | NBC Chicago

On the upside, maybe it will be easier to find a metered spot now? Thank goodness these new meters take credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM

721 posts, read 901,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Thank you Mayor Daley for selling off the rights to the city's parking meters and for allowing the fine citizens and visitors of Chicago to be raked over the coals to park here. Fine job, well done.

On the upside, maybe it will be easier to find a metered spot now? Thank goodness these new meters take credit cards.
Why are you still in Illinois? All you do is complain. If living here is really that big of a hassle for you, move on....

I kind of see this as a blessing. More parking meters are more likely to get people out of their cars and onto public transit. It's not like one needs a car if they live in Chicago.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,798,323 times
Quote:

Isn't that part of the reason they're so expensive? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just asking.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

9,258 posts, read 10,851,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I kind of see this as a blessing. More parking meters are more likely to get people out of their cars and onto public transit. It's not like one needs a car if they live in Chicago.
Another jasper who knows what's good for us. It's been amply explained why many people in Chicago need cars.

Myself, I'm all for diversity. As long as it's diversity I approve of.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,316,950 times
Quote:
The parking meter deal was a horrible fisco and they've already spent all the money. Now, the citizens of Chicago will be paying for it for the next 75 years. There's nothing good about it.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Why are you still in Illinois? All you do is complain. If living here is really that big of a hassle for you, move on....

Strange, I didn't know you were keeping tabs on my posts, especially since I rarely even post in the Chicago forum and don't even recall who you are. But, apparently you know me quite well.

I love this city. I was born and raised here and have a vested interest in its success as I have family, friends, house, and job here. I watch in dismay as our fine city and state are going down the toilet under the direction of our elected officials who would rather engage in corruption, nepotism, and shady dealings than work towards improving the state's financial standing. We have one of the worst, WORST, budget crises in the country with pension deficits in the tens of billions. Instead of addressing the problems head on, our elected officials decide to sell off rights to the parking meters, give us the highest sales taxes in the nation, and some of the highest gas (10 levels of taxation on gas) and property taxes in the country as well. It's frustrating to sit back and watch this city and state teeter on the edge of bankruptcy while we continue to get had.

Apparently you feel this is all well and good. Maybe you're right and that people will rely more on public transit, and that is a good thing. The bigger picture in all of this is not good, however.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,316,950 times
Quote:
I love this city. I was born and raised here and have a vested interest in its success as I have family, friends, house, and job here. I watch in dismay as our fine city and state are going down the toilet under the direction of our elected officials who would rather engage in corruption, nepotism, and shady dealings than work towards improving the state's financial standing. We have one of the worst, WORST, budget crises in the country with pension deficits in the tens of billions. Instead of addressing the problems head on, our elected officials decide to sell off rights to the parking meters, give us the highest sales taxes in the nation, and some of the highest gas (10 levels of taxation on gas) and property taxes in the country as well. It's frustrating to sit back and watch this city and state teeter on the edge of bankruptcy while we continue to get had.

Apparently you feel this is all well and good. Maybe you're right and that people will rely more on public transit, and that is a good thing. The bigger picture in all of this is not good, however.
I agree with all of this.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 PM

721 posts, read 901,514 times
Quote:
Strange, I didn't know you were keeping tabs on my posts, especially since I rarely even post in the Chicago forum and don't even recall who you are. But, apparently you know me quite well.
I'm not keeping tabs, I've just seen a lot of them recently.

Quote:
This is something that I more than agree with.

Quote:
I agree with you that the fact that we need these parking meters to lessen the debt the state has acquired is saddening. From a transit standpoint however, they may help increase ridership.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not keeping tabs, I've just seen a lot of them recently.
Where? Like I said, I rarely post in this forum so I find this to be a little creepy, especially since I don't recall ever even seeing a post of yours.

Quote:
This is something that I more than agree with.

Quote:
I agree with you that the fact that we need these parking meters to lessen the debt the state has acquired is saddening. From a transit standpoint however, they may help increase ridership.
Increased ridership is a mighty big price to pay considering the city will lose out on 75 years worth of revenue because of this crap deal. If our financial situation weren't so dire, Daley would not have felt the urgent need to get his hands on the $1.16B he got in return.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM

212 posts, read 99,728 times
eh stop complaining... it is very possible to live in chicago without having a car as many people already do. most of these meter costs will probably be passed on to ppl who are from the suburbs and who decided to drive to chicago (looool)

maybe if we had less cars, chicago would recoup some its density.

cars are a luxury in the city anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago