Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 23,593 times

Advertisements

Division Street can get edgy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The northside is cool to kick it, hang out, and live for a few years. But, it's not where most real chicagoland folks who are from chicagoland eventually end up settling longterm. The trendy northside areas are filled with single 20 and early 30 somethings that grew up in nice middle class and affluent suburbs or other smaller midwest locations like michigan, wisconsin, indiana, etc. And a few real city areas that have alot of middle class such as southside beverly, hyde park, bridgeport, kenwood, etc. or the far northwest side city neighborhoods. Most people with a connection to real chicagoland neighborhoods and suburbs end up going back to the real areas after 2-5 years of living in the trendy neighborhoods. The out of towners from different states who are not used to chicago, and may be getting more longterm excitement from finally living in a big city with amenities are mostly the ones who end up settling in the more trendy areas longterm because they have no connection to the real chicagoland. Also there are the very wealthy who can afford to buy a sizeable property and have a comfortable lifestyle longterm right in the heart of a trendy area like lincoln park, lakeview, gold coast, or wicker park. But for most who make up the population in these trendy areas, they are single 20 or early 30 somethings. Most of them basically live check to check and rent what they can afford with a roommate or whatever. Most end up hanging out in the trendy areas for 2-5 years. The single 20 and early 30 somethings who graduate college, have jobs making real money and can afford it may buy a condo and stay a bit longer.

I still hang out in and around bucktown, wicker park, ukranian village, and lincoln park regularly. I know so many people in there late 20's and early 30's who I used to go to high school with. I went to a party at a friends apartment last week in ukranian village and it felt like a high school reunion from the suburban high school that I graduated from well over a decade ago. It's interesting how over a decade later you have so many people who went to high school together in a middle class and affluent suburb living in the the same trendy city neighborhoods. I personally decided to move away from around the logan square area back to the burbs a few years ago. I honestly don't regret it. It was just all getting a bit dull and I was tired of sharing walls with so many people. I wanted my own space. Buying a home was a nice change of pace that I needed at the time. I just think it's so lame to expect in society that every young person wants to live in the city until they are in there late 30's or 40's. Chicago is a decent city but nothing special. I travel extensively for months on end to many international cities that would blow chicago or almost any U.S. city completely out of the water in terms of fun and excitement. Bangkok, Rio, Beijing, ho chi minh city, durban, etc. There is nothing overly exciting or unique going on in chicago where I would feel compelled to say that everyone under say 40 should live on the trendy northside or near westside. If anything everyone under 40 who has the means should take long trips abroad to exciting unique cities around the world. Come back to chicago and notice the difference.
Nice jabber!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,173 times
Interesting the direction that this thread went.
I would agree with some of the areas mentioned where you would be comfortable in and are fairly mixed. Chicago is pretty large, so definitely consider where you will be working vs living. Obviously, you'll be more accepted in the city proper, although some suburbs are still pretty liberal/openminded.
If you are looking at the northside, I would recommend Uptown/Ravenswood/Andersonville/Edgewater/Rogers Park/Evanston. Westside - Oak Park, Southside - Hyde Park.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM

15 posts, read 32,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleCat View Post
I am asian and my husband is caucasion. Since moving to Chicago we have not encountered any discrimination, but we may have a limited experience. I think this city is very accepting of mixed race couples compared to some other places in the US I have lived in.

For $1000, you can get a one bedroom in just about any place in the city if size is not an issue.

Camille Cat broke it down succinct and proper. No one is really going to look at you funny in any neighborhood that you would reasonably consider living in after checking it out. This might seem like circular reasoning, but it will make sense when you come down here. Most neighborhoods have a tolerant vibe, some don't but you will feel it before signing the lease. I can't believe this is even an issue anymore. Chicago has a history of racial problems, but it's time to mix it up. I've got a little cousin who's mixed. Flaming red Delonte West hair and everything. Smartest kid I ever met. I'm like 'more of those, please'.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 13,803 times
We live in Albany Park and are moving to Jacksonville. From personal experience, Albany Park is the bomb! On my home block alone live Koreans, Indians, Pakistanis, Jewish, Whites, Hispanics, and others I don't know. You would love it here on the North Side of Chicago.

Logan Square is fabulous too. Becoming more artsy and colorful (no pun intended) but a great Baptist Church there on Kedzie and Armitage, very racially and ethnically rich -- they have an additional total Hispanic congregation as well -- how we will miss it --

Lincoln Square is also very welcoming and beautiful. If you live near the North Park University area, you will find a lot of wonderful places that are nurturing and progressive.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 AM

76 posts, read 280,039 times
Figure out school first, them move closer to there. He won't have any issues in Chicago being black. It's about the class of a person here not so much the color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago