U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM

816 posts, read 1,260,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
You could do the blue line but than you gotta transfer and walk down a tunnel and eh its a pain and the blue line smells/is loud as ****.

You can find easy parking in lincolnsquare and the other areas more north slightly west of the lake.
The blue line smells?? That is news to me, and I ride it every day to and from work.

Back on topic...

During rush hour the transfer between the brown and red line is not that bad at all. If you want to keep your car, your best bet would be a neighborhood along the brown line. If you don't mind doing a little bit of circling for a parking spot during the one or two times a month that you use your car, an apartment near the Southport or Paulina brown line stop in West Lakeview, with a city sticker ($100/year as opposed to $250/month) may be a good idea. There is plenty going on there, and quite easy access to the singles scene, and the commute to the gold coast would be two short train rides with a short transfer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,747,423 times
A few things:

The best way to get to the gold coast is using the red line train, so keep that in mind.

Living along the lakefront and easy/free parking do not match on your budget. I doubt you will be able to find much in your price range with parking included along the northside lakefront. Do you really need your car?

The parts of Uptown and Edgewater tend to be sketchiest closer to the lake and the red line. These areas are cheaper than Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but not as nice. What is your tolerance for urban living? Are you sketched out by Ohio City in Cleveland? If so you would likely be sketched out by Uptown and Edgewater.

Another option may be to live in Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village and take the bus down Division Ave or Chicago Ave to the Gold Coast. You will be able to park on the street over there and be in your price range.

Yet another option may be to live off the northside brown line where you could transfer to the red line. These areas would be within your budget, at least north of Belmont anyway.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,273,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I have taken it at all times of day. I already told you I don't take it at rush hour. My prime time for taking it was about five years ago so maybe it has been dramatically improved since then.
Even outside of rush hour it rarely takes 15 minutes to transfer from Red to Brown unless it is after midnight.

I have no idea how you have a different experience than everyone else in this thread.

Don't you realize the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project started in 2006? There was all kinds of construction going on for over 3 years.

When was the last time you took the Brown or Red Line?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 AM

491 posts, read 609,805 times
Tony,

You got me. I'm lying about my experience about the brown and red line. Here's why: I have $10 million worth of stock in an alternative public transportation system set to be proposed to city council next month, and have set about a malicious disinformation campaign to disparage the CTA on message boards across the web, hoping to influence their vote.

And if it wasn't for such staunch defenders of the CTA such as yourself, and your ruthless dedication to committing CTA timetables to memory, I would have gotten away with it!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM

143 posts, read 176,389 times
If you end up looking in Lakeview, Southport Corridor is a place you may want to look at (I know it's not on the lake, but it's not that far). The main strip has meters, but to the west, the parking isn't too bad, and there's the Southport brown line stop.

There are many bars, restaus, and shops and it's a pretty safe area. It's not very far from downtown, it's close to Wrigley (if you like that, I know some people might not really care for all the "excitement" Cubs season brings), and you can be in Lincoln Park in ten or less minutes. It's also pretty easy to get to the lake.

Anyhow, good luck in your search!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,260 times
I agree with the Wicker Park suggestion. Get an apartment a block or two north or south of Division between Ashland and Western. Tons of new bars and restaurants. You can street park your car. The Division bus will get you to the Gold Coast in 15 minutes.

Plus you will get 3x the space as you would in a Lincoln Park or Gold Coast apartment.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,637 times
Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park are well within your budget and a 10 min "El" ride easy to your work. Find housing near a Redline "EL" stop and you will be in a good enough neighborhood. But do sign up for the CTA Chicago Card Plus with Car Sharing. I sold both cars after my first two years in Chicago and wished I had done so earlier. Parking is a nightmare and owning a car in Chicago is like lugging around a very expensive cruise line anchor.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 PM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn777 View Post
Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park are well within your budget and a 10 min "El" ride easy to your work.
Uh...... no.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 23,999 times
OP, I used to live downtown on Michigan Ave and I didn't use my car much but I did keep it for a while. It is convenient to have a car when you need it, but it certainly can become a liability and a hassle if you are trying to park in an area where parking is nearly impossible. What I did is similar to what you thought about. You don't need to rent a garage, there are plenty of safe places you can park on the street close to a bus stop or train line and leave it until you need it. Just be sure to check about street cleaning, etc. Make sure there is no reason for them to ticket or tow your car if it sat there for a while. Believe it or not there is even some streets like this in Lincoln Park.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 3,500,551 times
Woah - loads of different opinions. Here's my take for what it's worth:

- Find a a small apartment with a grocery store nearby and close to where you will be working. You can definitely live in other neighborhoods and have a larger place, but don't worry about finding the best apartment when you first move here. Find something convenient that meets your basic needs. If you can get a shorter lease - do it. 4-6 months should be enough time to get yourself oriented a bit.

- Leave your car behind for the first month. Don't sell it or anything, but don't bring it with you either. Try living without it and see how that works for you. Having it available with an hour of bus rides may work, but I think you may end up wasting too much time riding the bus out to get your car when you really don't need to. Just cut the cord and see how it goes for you.

- Once you get here make a point to check out different neighborhoods. Go to dinner at some of the great Asian places in Uptown and then decide for yourself what level of sketch you're comfortable with. Maybe you'll be fine with it, maybe you'll be more comfortable with other areas. I don't consider any of the areas that have been discussed to be dangerous at all, but in some of them you'll have to deal with annoying homeless people and such on a more regular basis.

- Don't forget cabs. You can take public transit to Wicker Park to go see a band or go drinking and then get back to Lakeview/Lincoln Park by cab at the end of the night for about $10-15. The mix of public transit and cabs can get you almost anywhere at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago