U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM

32 posts, read 31,080 times
Default What is your ideal artsy place to work in Chicago? Where are some great places to work for twenty-somethings?

Hey!

I'm Meghan. I turned 22 a few weeks ago, I have a resume full of music internships from Matador Records to SPIN Magazine, and I am possibly moving to Chicago because all of the people I've met from Chicago are some of my favorite people in the world. Also, is it coincidence that most of my favorite actors (Bill Murray, John Cusack) bands (Wilco, Smith Westerns, Jim O' Rourke, Andrew Bird) and comedians (Michael Ian Black, Tina Fet, John C. Reilly) come from your awesome city? I don't think so.

I'm applying to jobs in Chicago from pretty far away (upstate New York) and despite having visited Chicago for a few days and thinking about places I could possibly work (my ideal places concern music- like booking agents, festival planners, concert venues, record labels, etc), I thought I would ask you all what you think are some of the cool artistic places for people to work in Chicago. It doesn't have to be music-related. I think - based on my little knowledge of your city - mine would be to work with Chic-A-Go-Go (SO gooood!), at Schuba's, Quimby's Bookstore (spent houuurs in there when I only had a few days to see all of Chicago) or Reckless Records.

I know a lot of people will react negatively to the fact that I am in my early twenties, moving from NY to Chi and expecting to get a job out of a poor economy at the moment. I understand that it will be extremely difficult, but I might as well try.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

792 posts, read 1,152,602 times
Do you have any connections to any of the places you mentioned? It will be much more difficult to try to land something while living way over in upstate NY. I would imagine that for the sort of job you are looking for, networking will probably be your only hope. Hopefully you know enough people there to get your resume out there.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,582,024 times
Networking is really important for music related jobs. You should try to use some of your connections you made from your internships and see if any of them have contacts in Chicago that could help you. Also, while I was in Chicago I really enjoyed listening to Q101, Chicago's "alternative" radio station (especially their morning show, it was funny) One of my roommates had a summer internship with their promotions department and she had a blast. Here's their website in case you want to check em out- Q101 // Chicago's Alternative // WKQX-FM, CHICAGO

As far as your statement "I know a lot of people will react negatively to the fact that I am in my early twenties, moving from NY to Chi and expecting to get a job out of a poor economy at the moment" The early twenties is usually the time a lot of people choose to move to new cities. As soon as I graduate in May, I'm going to try to find a job in Chicago too. You definitely won't be alone and it's easy to meet new people.

Good luck

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,059,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Also, while I was in Chicago I really enjoyed listening to Q101, Chicago's "alternative" radio station (especially their morning show, it was funny) One of my roommates had a summer internship with their promotions department and she had a blast. Here's their website in case you want to check em out- Q101 // Chicago's Alternative // WKQX-FM, CHICAGO
I would also look into NPR and WXRT.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,611,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post
what you think are some of the cool artistic places for people to work in Chicago.
the MCA would be my choice.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

77 posts, read 95,496 times
Other options:

Saki: saki •*music. art. books. zines. people
Carrot Top Records: Carrot Top Records
Permanent Records
Threadless
Groupon

I recently started working for CHIRP Radio (Chicago Independent Radio Project) and it's a good way to meet music people. CHIRP Radio

Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,887,777 times
Eh, I don't really like working for people per se, why not just freelance?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faintlyamused View Post
Other options:

Saki: saki •*music. art. books. zines. people
Carrot Top Records: Carrot Top Records
Permanent Records
Threadless
Groupon
Time Out Chicago had a huge Groupon-filled issue that included an article about their fun and creative work environment. They even stated the average age of Groupon employees is 25. It might not be the most artsy job, but it could make for a fun career. They are also still expanding so they have tons of job options- http://www.groupon.com/jobs

Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Eh, I don't really like working for people per se, why not just freelance?
For people moving to Chicago I wouldn't suggest freelance work. A lot of times the easiest way to meet new people is through your job and if you're working from home, it would be more of a challenge to meet anyone.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,887,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
For people moving to Chicago I wouldn't suggest freelance work. A lot of times the easiest way to meet new people is through your job and if you're working from home, it would be more of a challenge to meet anyone.
Aye well I meant networking and getting the gigs. That is the best way is to be social and hit people up. I don't know many freelancers who aren't VERY social out and about, otherwise they'd never get the gigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago