Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM

148 posts, read 765,414 times

Advertisements

Chicago is loaded with great steakhouses, many of which are known as some of the best in the country. Chicago is also very much know throughout the U.S. for its great steak and meat in general.

Often, one of the first questions/comments I hear, or see posted on the internet, by people visiting the city is, “I am so exciting about visiting Chicago and finally getting to taste some real steak,” or “Where can I get the best steak in Chicago?”

The answer: Gibson’s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM

136 posts, read 999,124 times
Thumbs up THANKS from a future resident!

To the moderator who started this, the regulars who have helped tons, and those who have posted occasionally...THANK YOU!!!! As a future resident (in about a month) I have begun reading these "Best of" sticky threads and creating lists of restaurants to take my wife to when we move there. (We love to go out to eat once a week!!!)
GREAT IDEA and GREAT LISTS...THANKS!!!
Future ideas: best hamburger (my wife loves a good blue cheeseburger), best Mexican, best Indian, best Thai, best BBQ, best ribs, best Ethiopian?, best Chinese, best sushi?

I look forward to each week's installment!

Cheers,
-TM

Last edited by TeacherMan; 07-17-2007 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: pesky typos

Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Well Teacher Man,you have come to a great city for gluttony heaven.Welcome home to Chicago

Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have you tried Sal Carvao on Butterfield near 355? Just curious...
I haven't tried it yet. I've been to Texas de Brazil in Woodfield and thought that was pretty good, but I'd say that Fogo is still the best of the lot.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
mdz mdz started this thread

622 posts, read 2,619,096 times
Chicago Chop House. But there are tons of other good ones, many listed above. Lawry's is real good for the prime rib. Gibson's was decent. Morton's is real good (at least I had a good experience there). only problem is that you need to work two jobs to afford many of these places...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 AM

49 posts, read 137,953 times
Definitely Morton's Steakhouse on State street! Better than Gibson's; imo. Ruth's Chris on 431 N. Dearborn Street is another good choice with it great bar.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Gibson's,Morton's,Gene & Georgetti.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Quote:
That was me. Trust me, Chicago is not really a steak town, nor a place known for its steaks. Sure theyre decent, but far from outstanding. If you want a good steak, head to Texas (or even parts of AZ). When I go out west I am often left feelilng unfulfilled the whole trip because most western food just sucks compared to Chicago. I make it a point to hit up a few steakhouses on vacation, and ALL of them have been wonderful out west. So when I get back to Chicago, I indulge in my pizza, hot dogs, gyros, etc, etc. But when it comes to steak, Chicago just cant compete with the western joints.

My personal faves out west:

Big Texan Steak Ranch, Amarillo, Texas

Pinnacle Peak Patio Steakhouse - Scottsdale - Phoenix - Arizona - Original Cowboy Steakhouse (http://www.pppatio.com/home/default.asp - broken link)

Black Angus Steakhouse - Black Angus Restaurant, Steak House (broken link)

The next time you are in Scottsdale, you'll have to try Flemings for a steak.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM

467 posts, read 873,855 times
Quote:
My personal faves out west:

Big Texan Steak Ranch, Amarillo, Texas

Pinnacle Peak Patio Steakhouse - Scottsdale - Phoenix - Arizona - Original Cowboy Steakhouse (http://www.pppatio.com/home/default.asp - broken link)

Black Angus Steakhouse - Black Angus Restaurant, Steak House (broken link)
Out east:

Peter Luger - all other places may just close and go home.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
The next time you are in Scottsdale, you'll have to try Flemings for a steak.
Why Scottsdale? Flemings is everywhere, including Ohio Street in River North. There's nothing special about Flemings, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago